Options

The Great Plains Sandhill Crane Migration of 2019

COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
edited April 2019 in Camping & Travel

Trip Dates: March 26-29, 2019 
Route: Colorado to Nebraska ("It's not for everybody")

Sandhill Cranes are one of the oldest living bird species on the planet, with fossils dating 10 Million years old. Every spring, more than 80% of the world's Sandhill Crane population converges in the heart of the great plains. Arriving from their wintering grounds in Mexico, Texas and New Mexico, they fly thousands of miles to restore themselves and feed on waste grains in the crop fields of Nebraska along the Platte River. In total, up to 650,000 cranes funnel from points south to converge in a relatively small area along the river for a short time in the spring before continuing far north. Learn more about the Nebraska Flyway here. Witnessing their arrival to this notorious springtime river party was on my list for years. 

Despite the devastating floods all along the Mississippi affecting the entire east side of Nebraska and surrounding states, points west were and continue to still be ok. We finally made the trip happen and tried to have as little impact on resources while still infusing some dollars into the local economy. 

• Campsite: Fort Kearney State Recreation Area: electric hookups, picnic table, fire ring, water and dump available, vault and plumbed restrooms, plus free showers. The park was beautiful, treed, well kept, and scenic as it included grassy grounds, numerous small lakes, and generally plenty of space between sites. 
  • Highlights: The Cranes! They are only around for a short period of time and it was very special. Make sure you check out the Rowe Sanctuary or Crane Trust. Loved learning about the cranes and ag land conservation efforts to support critical habitat.
Camp: We were next to a lake (just out of view) with plenty of open area for the dogs behind us. 

Camp came with rugs! 

Much of the land along the Platte is private so crane viewing can be limited. There are plenty of WMAs along the Platte suitable for boondocking, but I was concerned about soft ground and getting stuck due to recent rains and flooding so played it safe with an established campground. The primary reason I chose this particular camp location for this trip is because it provides direct access to the Platte River Hike / Bike Trail, which has a ped bridge spanning across the entire Platte river. We walked from camp to the bridge for sunrise and sunset to see the cranes leaving their overnight roost and arriving back to the river each evening after spending their day in nearby cornfields. A daily pass is required for this location in addition to the campground fee but I would pay it again.

Sunrise cranes on the Platte:

Sunset on the Platte:

Sunset Cranes:

And a few gratuitous T@B scenic stops along the way / way back:

That's all, folks! Thank you Nebraska for your hospitality.

2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
On Instagram: @dogmomming

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @COcamper Sounds like, and looks like, a wondrous trip, congratulations! ps-there’s really no such thing as a gratuitous T@B photo-we love them all!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @COcamper, nothing else to be said but -

WOW!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    How was the noise from all those cranes? 
    My husband and I visited Yellow Stone a number of years ago.  Climbing up to some petrified wood areas, we spotted some rather large birds.  I looked through the binocs and said "What are those flamingos doing here!"  Never knew about Sandhill Cranes:)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    They were raucous, @Sharon_is_SAM ! If you can imagine thick swirling swarms of these 4-foot tall gray flamingo dinosaur birds flying in honking processionals toward the river, with a new band of players appearing on the horizon one after the other... the honking and squawking and intermittent squealing "help I'm lost!!" cry of thousands, then tens of thousands, overhead and jostling for real estate on the ground was absolutely incredible. It has to be witnessed and not conveyed with words! During the day you can tell they're around but it is nowhere near the spectacle they create on the river! 
    2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
  • Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    Looks like a wonderful trip. Birding is what got me interested in T@bs in the 1st place. I was tired of sleeping in a cold tent during migration. The T@b has been the perfect solution.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @COcamper, that would be wonderful!  Something else for the travel list!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    They fly over our house in north ga spring and fall. Saw quite a few in early march, sometimes very low over the house. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    They do make quite the racket and will call in other Sandhills flying in the vicinity.  We are getting more and more of these birds annually  on our small lake in Michigan.  There are so many in the state the DNR is considering a fall hunt.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ