Do I need to winterize?

we are going to be camping at Zion and other places with some days having highs in the 50’s and lows down to the low 30’s. Will I need to winterize? We will be using the Alde for sure if that helps. Winterizing for a day or two seems like overkill... or does it?
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited April 2019
    Are the days going to have sustained lows at freezing or below?  If it just dips down to those temperatures and comes back up as the day warms, my experience has been that a full fresh tank takes a long time to freeze and the Alde keeps the inside pipes warm.  The risk (if any under this scenario) is to those areas that hang below the conditioned space of the trailer - the shower p-trap and the waste valves.  You can always pour antifreeze down the shower drain and you can work some antifreeze into your valve gates, too.  Cheap insurance!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I would not think you would need to winterize with those temps.  The inside will be heated.  I suggest not leaving a fresh water hose connected at night.  We usually just fill the fresh tank and use the water pump and avoid the frozen hose entirely. 

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The FW drain line is at risk as well as the main feed from the FW tank to the pump.  These are exposed in the belly pan. I don’t think that a few hours at night of 30 degree will be a problem, but...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I have a weather monitoring station with an outdoor remote that I hang under the RV by about 6" or so.  It almost never reads as cold as the actual outdoor air temperatures.  I think between the heat loss from the RV and the residual heat from the ground, the exposed plumbing is at little risk of freezing with mild below freezing temperatures.  
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Everything went well so far but now we are going to Bryce with lows in the 20’s. This sounds like I need to winterize for the 4 days we will be there. 
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @mandt I think it really depends on the daytime temps too. My experience and lessons camping at a full hook up site last October, day time temps in upper 50's and 60's, night time mid to low 20's, was to detach water hose and fill tank. Detach sewer hose the night before I need to leave. Not only did the hose freeze to the trailer, the gray valve froze shut. "Luckily" the black tank contents didn't freeze and could be drained before pulling out. If I had added some antifreeze to the valves and connection point, that might have solved that problem. I did put antifreeze in the shower and sink P traps. I also propped open the shower door, opened the door above the toilet, and lower cabinet doors to better heat those areas. Having said all that, at the end of the day, you need to do whatever makes you most comfortable and safe!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5