Options

Chevy 2.8 l diesel performance in 2018 Colorado

TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
edited October 2019 in Camping & Travel
just finished 3400 miles 18 nights in all kinds of weather in our CS-S and Chevy Colorado 2.8 l diesel z71 4x4. Best mileage was 24.2 on flat, sea level, no wind,no AC light pack trailer medium pack truck between Beaumont and San Antonio TX. Lowest mpg was 17.5 in the hills, lots of wind. Things we learned: the wind will rip off the kitchen tent kedder rail if you are not there while big storm comes in. Snow will break an awning poll. Alde works great on electricity for heat ( we used it everyday except for the last day in Texas). your dog will sleep with you no matter how many times you start them off under window

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I love diesels! I sooooo want a Colorado z71 with the mini dura Max. Alas, I wait. Current tv is Jeep GC with the ecodiesel. Similar economy.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    4ncar said:
     I sooooo want a Colorado z71 with the mini dura Max. Alas, I wait.
    Me too whennnnnnn it is available in the Extended Cab.

Grew up with real pickup trucks.  Then owned and used them as trucks for 30+ years.  So these 4-door things with a small cargo box that is about the size of a large trunk are not pickups . . . . . they are carryalls (Vans) with  1/4 of the roof cut off.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I would love to have the diesel as well but hear horror story's about bad def fluid screwing up.     

Have you had any issues?
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Cbusguy said:
    I would love to have the diesel as well but hear horror story's about bad def fluid screwing up.     

Have you had any issues?
    I haven’t had any issues with my Jeep. 154,000 miles &counting.  Hope I didn’t jinx it😬
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @4ncar where do you purchase your def from?

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    I just completed a trip from Wisconsin to Tucson and Santa Fe. Over 3500 miles. In the mountains 14-15 mpg and on the flat coming home from Colorado 20+ with our 2018 T@B 320S BD and 2018 Chevy Colorado Duramax. I love the Towhaul engineering-KG9 140 Amp Alternator keeps the batteries charged and the fridge running, outputting as much as 15.3 volts for bulk charge as required.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    I have the VW Touareg TDI diesel.  DEF fluid is sold in truck stops, auto part stores, big box stores.......

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @pthomas745 : Lucky You!  We ended up with other brands of a diesel SUV and diesel station wagon.  But we fondly remember our test drive of the big Toureg V10 TDI engine years ago, and still kick ourselves for not buying it at the time.  Horrible MPG, but stunning acceleration for such a big beast. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2019
    I "only" have the 2014 V6 version, which is a wonderful fun car.  The Touareg V10 is still legendary in the Club Touareg world.    People who still have them are treated like the captain of the Enterprise or something. For good reason, too! 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    We had a mechanical failure of def injector under warranty. We are careful and only by def when we need it from name brand sites, same with fuel
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2019
    Never tried the Audi Q7 V12 TDI with 738 ft-lbs of torque.  Probably 2mpg as you tow a 30ft Airstream up the long I-70 climb in Colorado at 80mph.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    I have the VW Touareg TDI diesel.  DEF fluid is sold in truck stops, auto part stores, big box stores.......
    A couple of vehicles ago had a VW Jetta diesel, 2001 before-EPA testing issues.  No DEF, great car to drive . . . nicest automobile I've ever owned.

Continue to hope a US Company will produce a diesel powered vehicle that meets my needs & budget.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @MuttonChops I had high hopes for the Chevy Cruze diesel, but I believe GM killed that recently. My brother has one and likes it, sounds like MPG may be better than my Jetta TDI. I have wondered why somebody doesn't make a diesel electric car with a small displacement diesel as a genset ruining constant RPM when it is most efficient and then charging a battery bank with electric drive Motors. Seems like best of hybrid and diesel technology with no need to find a charging station.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @MuttonChops I had high hopes for the Chevy Cruze diesel, . . .  have wondered why somebody doesn't make a diesel electric car with a small displacement diesel as a genset ruining constant RPM when it is most efficient . . .
    Have wondered the same; diesel genset works well for locomotives and huge earth moving equipment.
    Did look at Chevy Cruze when the Jetta was replaced.  Did not purchase because the diesel had no spare tire option and living / traveling in the great open spaces of the western states I was not comfortable with only a can of flat fix.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @MuttonChops I have wondered why somebody doesn't make a diesel electric car with a small displacement diesel as a genset ruining constant RPM when it is most efficient and then charging a battery bank with electric drive Motors. Seems like best of hybrid and diesel technology with no need to find a charging station.
    Chevy VOLT is (was) an electric car with a genset arrangement using a small gasoline engine. 

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @rfuss928 correct, but since diesels are typically something like 20+% more efficient than gas, always wondered why somebody didn't do the same with diesel, strictly as a genset, unlike say most hybrids where both the ICE and battery can be used.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Cbusguy said:
    @4ncar where do you purchase your def from?

Walmart!😳 no issues. In the past year have replaced the egt, catalyst, & particulate sensors, but these are expected at 150,000 miles. These are the only issues I’ve had with the emission systems.
    2018 320S Outback