Looking for beta on Alaska

Todd77Todd77 Member Posts: 34
Hey there!  I am driving up to Seward Alaska fairly soon and wondered if anyone had good information on best routes and camping along the way.  Any info is helpful as I have never been.  Thanks!!

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Here are some threads.  You will see The Milepost mentioned many times, since the book is indispensable.  I drove there in 2015 and it was just a spectacular trip.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Todd77 said:
    . . .  driving up to Seward Alaska . . .
    Sorry no help here.  Only time I visited Seward was by ship

USCGC MIDGETT

Would be interesting to how see the bars have changed. ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Vikings did a loop last year and posted lots of good info on the forum. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    Lots of stuff on Alaska on this forum. We moved here from southern MN in 2017. I have made several posts about our trip as have others who have made it. Below is a link to one of them.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/89663#Comment_89663

Fergie
    Palmer, Alaska

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2019
    We drove up to Alaska in Late July 2015 via Canada and drove up into the provinces via North Dakota and into Winnipeg and across the Yellowhead Highway.  We did stop in Seward and had the best “but” in town (as in halibut) at Thorn’s Lounge in the old part of Seward.

Here are some tips that should be helpful in the event you decide on taking the “road that never ends” up and back from Alaska.

1. Even though you are in a hurry to get there (or back), try limiting your days to no more than 350 – 400 miles of driving a day. You won’t regret it!

2. Expect a lot of construction along the AlCan Highway. Expect to stop and wait for a pilot car on a number of occasions.

3. If the signs indicate rough road or gravel, believe them! Slow down and take it easy; real easy! The worst stretch of road we encountered was between the Donjack River Bridge and Beaver Creek on the way to Tok, AK. Pot holes that sink your tires halfway down. SLOW DOWN! Rough sections of the roads are identified by pink/red flags (triangles) on the side of the road.

4. Expect to pay $5 or $6 (Canadian) for bags of ice along the AlCan and Cassiar Highways.

5. Don’t expect to get good wifi coverage in any campground. Stop at McDonald’s, Wendy’s, A&W, or Tim Horton’s for wifi service.

6. Even if you pay extra for cellular coverage in Canada, just remember that reception is few and far between in northern BC and the Yukon. You could be out of range for days. If you don’t buy Canadian coverage, put your phone in the Airplane Mode or you will get a tremendous bill due to roaming throughout your trip.

7. When possible, camp in Provincial Parks. Campgrounds aren’t always how they appear online. Most Provincial Campgrounds are on a first-come first-serve basis; although, some take reservations beforehand.

8. If possible, take different routes up and back. We took the AlCan (Highway 97 turns into Hwy 1 in AK) up and the Cassiar (Highway 37) back. It makes for a nice change of scenery. Before dropping down on the Cassiar, drive into Watson Lake to fill up.

9. Expect fuel and food to be more expensive in the Yukon.

10. Take your time to meet and enjoy the company of new friends. Your T@B will draw them like moths to a candle. We all gave “tours” of our trailers on a daily basis. There was no dealership in Alaska at the time, so they draw quite a bit of attention; especially among traveling foreigners. We met people from China, Germany, Belgium, France, and New Zealand.

We returned via the Canadian Rockies, Jasper, Athabaskan ice fields, Banff, Lake Louise, etc. which is absolutely stunning!  At the time Glacier NP was on fire, the sky and atmosphere was a eerie yellow and it was like being on another planet.  

As info, check Canadian border regulations for info and updates if you choose that route.  No handguns allowed and if you possess a concealed carry permit in the states expect to be delayed, interrogated and hindered.  Research entry requirements in Canada before traveling as they took my eggs because of Avian flu, most customs checkpoint stations were very accommodating & friendly but there is always one bad apple in the crowd.

We drove back the Cassiar and up into Stewart, BC and into Hyder, AK which is stunning and a must see with the glaciers and alpine scenery.  Amazing place for sure!  Take the drive down to Valdez too as that stretch is spectacular! Knai Peninsula is beautiful and when the salmon are running you will see them stacked up like cord wood trying to get up into the streams to spawn.  Then come the bears!  

Safe travels!

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Todd77Todd77 Member Posts: 34
    Awesome information!  Thank you for the details!
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    The hardest part of my drive was trying to limit the number of times a day that "I have to stop to get this photo."

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi