Options

Boondocking?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I believe we had discussed this on the old forum but it is probably lost now. Can someone indicate what can be used while boondocking with the 2014 and newer T@bs?

1. Hot water with Alde system?
  2. 12v outlets
  3. 110v outlets (believe the answer is no)
  4. TV
  5. Lights
  6. Air conditioner (S model)
  7. Hot water heater for bathroom? 
  8. Fantastic Fan
I have picked up a lot of 12v accesorries over the last few years and a couple of extra 12v batteries so I could mostly survive off grid for a bit, but curious as to how much luxury I will have to sacrifice. I also picked up (2) 100w solar panels to help keep me topped off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I would be curious as well to know what size generator has been used successfully for those with the AC unit as well as fridge, if so desired. Not exactly primitive... ...but one of our planned adventures is another Jeep trip to the desert, and ac would be a plus.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    I know in a lot of areas you can help yourself out by moving to a higher elevation, but int he east, we deal with a lot of humidity and A/C is the solution.

If I have to invest in a generator, it will likely be a  GZ Yeti 1250 and I will rig up a connector to my solar panels. I believe that the heat in the west is actually more tolerable due to the dry air and the difference between night and day temps.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Jenn,

I think it depends on just what you really feel you can live without when boon-docking and picking a time of season when the nights aren't necessarily bitter cold and the daytime temps warm up nicely too.   I've boon-docked quite a bit and have none of the above creature comforts, but am able to maintain good hygiene, take a shower, cook hot meals, have ample lighting and am snug as a bug in a rug!

I rely on solar to charge up my battery and am able to watch DVD's if I want and have music at my campsite too via my blue tooth speaker.   Zodi makes a portable shower and if you have water with you and a 5 gallon pail you can take a nice hot shower,  I carry a tea kettle, heat my water and pour it into a 5 gallon pail that also serves as a bucket light at my camp sites.  My Coleman stove is great, I am able to boil water for coffee and cook all meals with it as well in my stainless steel pans.  

I stayed out in the desert north of Quartzsite, AZ about three years ago for about 4 days and the temps did get up to 100 F but I was just fine as I had ample water, shade and plenty of ice to keep things cold.  I was amazed as I'd never done anything like it before and I am confident I can do it again and will be even more comfortable with my new gear and brand new Silver Shadow Little Guy.  The nights were cool and a nice breeze kept things very cool.  I actually woke up one night and pulled out a quilt because it really cooled off about 3 hours before sun up.  

You should try it as you'll be amazed at what you can do and what you can live without when faced with a new challenge.   It's a great adventure and after living without all the creature comforts you get a real appreciation for life and the fact that we depend more on things that can be left behind, while still living in comfort and meeting all our needs.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It's also amazing how much the Fantastic Fan will cool off the inside. I have rarely run mine all night, and I think I've only run my A/C all of one night, but I had two sick dogs who needed to stay comfy. In fact, I'll bet I've only used my A/C less than 5 times last year. As Mike says, it's amazing what you can live without and still be comfortable.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. Since I am coming from tent camping, I am pretty comfortable with roughing it completely. I more or less have been trying to figure out what won't work when not at a campground with full hook-ups because I would like to, at some point, try extended stays in my T@b, which would include working from my T@B. If that happens, I know I will need to mix some of my tent camping tricks in due to limitations with tank sizes, but was especially interested in what actually worked without power and city hookups.

I have picked up a few smaller GZ batteries, and 12v lights, and most of my chargers are 12v, too, so I think I could do well conserving electricity, but I was not sure what things would not run off of the T@b battery directly.

Here is my previous set up:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Thanks, Lady Artist. I noticed the solar connector on the storage basket. Good to know. I guess it is just the AC and 110V outlets? that does not run off of the battery? If the Alde heat works, does hot water also work?

Rooftop tents (RTT) are more popular in Africa and Australia, and also the US Southwest. I really liked everything about it except putting the cover back on. No sure if it was just my cover, but it was really hard to do by yourself while hanging off of the side of the Jeep. My favorite place camping with it was at Cathedral Valley in Capitol Reef. It is really an amazing are to visit. Set-up was extremely fast and easy with the RTT and the mattress (along with my Thermarest) provided for a very comfortable sleep, even when it got cold and snowy. I sold it when I sold the trailer but might replace it int he future when I want to go places where the T@b shouldn't go (like Cathedral Valley.) You think a T@b attracts attention at a campground, you should see people watch you deploy that at a NP campground. :)

• Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    Jenn, Yes the Alde provides both heat and hot water on either propane or 110v. It does not run on the battery.
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. Hoping I can help keep my battery topped off via solar when boondocking and pretty much everything I need to spend extended time off the grid would work, which is good to know. 

Lady Artist - I haven't camped in those other countries - just provided the background of the tents. I have ahd the chance to do photography in Singapore and Spain and perhaps I will be making a short trip to China this year. But, I will be honest, no matter where I go, I still prefer the US. :)