Options

Glycol level first time check

I just opened up the back panel to check the glycol lever. First time. I had to get a square bit. I've not de-winterized yet.
I couldn't really tell so I shook a little to see where it was.  The level is about 1/2 inch or more above the MAX line. From how I was looking at it. 
I have read it should be that far above the MIN line. Will that hurt the system? Might it be getting warm inside the trailer and expanding?

Appreciate the help. Thanks! Christine

2022 F-150 STX. SE PA and beyond...Christine

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @CJvagabond
    The Glycol expands as it heats.  That clear (ish) tank with the fill port is an expansion tank.  If you have been running the Alde system it will be above the "Min" mark but I don't know by how much.  Check it again after the Alde system has been off long enough for the glycol to cool down.  I don't know how long that will take though.  I guess you could get an estimate by feeling the expansion tank with your hand.  If you shine a flashlight at the side of the tank (very close to the side of the tank) the fluid level will be easier to read.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    1. @CJvagabond, I suspect that it may settle down to a lower level once you turn on the heat and glycol starts moving through the pipes and convectors.  At worst, I think, it may slosh out as you travel down the road, or when heated it may expand into the overflow tube.  If your Alde pump (not the water pump)  is turned up beyond “2”, you may experience excess churning of the fluid, noise and maybe fluid loss.  Check your Alde pump to make sure it is not set too high.  Turn on your Alde and see how things go while tge glycol tank is exposed.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CJvagabondCJvagabond Member Posts: 38
    I haven't used the heat since Nucamp said it wasn't winterized properly. (at the dealer)
    I had the heat on for a few weeks after bringing it home just to test everything. Rep at dealer said try everything so I did. They had told me antifreeze was in the system.
    I had no idea that it was or wasn't supposed to be until coming on this forum. Then writing to Nucamp. I never heard back from my dealer after mentioning that.
    So....I'm waiting to de-winterize with Nucamp's instructions to clear all the antifreeze out of everything. It is definitely warm enough at night, I think.
    So, the level is pretty high in the reservoir (well above the MAX line) with glycol and the heat hasn't been on since 3rd week of March.
    I was not sure if it being that high would hurt anything once I do get de-winterized and try it all again? 
    Someone said to suck it out with a turkey baster? I don't want to do anything like that. 
    Thanks for the help and support. 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    After you dewinterize (I think I gave you instructions for how to do that) then try the Alde and see what happens.  You were using it before without issue, so, I suspect it is fine.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The tank is just like the expansion tank on your vehicle cooling system, a little over shouldn't hurt, if it gets too full from expansion it should have an overflow drain to outside.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM I do have the instructions you gave me. I printed them out and started a little binder of important information. Thank you! :) 
    I'm hoping to try this all soon so I can go out with it again and practice before the big trip out West. 
    @N7SHG_Ham Thank you. I guess a bit too much is better than too little. I wasn't sure if it had anywhere to go if it was too full. 
    Thanks again. Thankful for all the knowledge and experience. 

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @CJvagabond if you pull up the driver side rear seat, above the Alde unit and where all the hoses and valves are located, you'll see a small clear tube. You might see some of the green/yellow glycol in it. If you follow one end of it, you'll see it go through the floor to drain outside. If you follow the other end, you'll see it leads to the back corner where the glycol expansion tank is you found. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Thank you @dsfdogs. I'll check there too and see if I see it in the hose. :)