Options

Factory Installed Solar Panel - not working?

13»

Comments

• Options
    daviddendavidden Member Posts: 38
    @N7SHG_Ham Thanks. I have the larger, 3 way fridge. That’s why I’m having trouble figuring out how to access the wires. Any ideas? 
    • 2020 T@B 400 BD Lite, white with blue accent line
    • 2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4WD with air springs
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
    • Surfer, Co-Founder of ventanasurfboards.com
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    No, not without removing the fridge. I had access to those wires in a few minutes, wasn't my purpose at the time for removing the wood panel in back of closet, but found the back of the speaker, the ductwork to the bed area, the solar wires and maybe a few other things.

I would take the PV wires loose from the victron controller and see if in sunlight you have any voltage, that isolates the panels from the controller. If you are getting any voltage at all that means the wiring to the panels is intact. If it isn't up around 20v dc, then you may have a bad panel, if it is then it is downstream, likely the controller or wiring to battery from controller.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    So, you’re suggesting that I remove the wires and test them directly with the multimeter?
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
  • Options
    Yes. Divide and conquer the issue. Correct input, wrong output, it is what is in between. By taking the two wires from the PV off the controller and checking voltage across them you quickly will determine the no load voltage the panel is putting into the controller if any.
  • Options
    Thanks @N7SHG_Ham. I disconnected the wires and tested them. Zero voltage. Unfortunately, the two dealers near me won’t work on it. One sells them, but doesn’t work on them. Seems like that’s not the kind of dealer nüCamp should have, so be aware of that with Stormin Normin in San Jose, CA. SCATT in Salinas, CA  says they will only work on the ones they sell. I bought mine at a dealer 600 miles away, so this is getting more difficult by the minute. 
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    @davidden well that isn't good! I believe there are short wires from panels through the roof pentration and then splice joints to run a longer wire to the controller. If you can find that splice, you can see if it is disconnected and/or check voltage there from the panels.

This would be easy to do in the closet model, guessing the big fridge model will require fridge removal to expose that wiring? The roof wiring in the closet model comes in from outside in the extreme upper LH (looking into closet) corner of closet behind a removable cover over a chase that has AC ducting (2019), solar wiring and i believe wiring for other electrical in the bed area.

Edit to add you may be able to see this wiring from outside by removing the upper fridge vent grill? That is just a theory, untested!
  • Options
    One other thing to check would be the settings for the controller. These settings can be accessed from the Victron connect app. Make sure "charger enabled" is on
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    Thanks. I found the wires in various spots but they all seem to be connected. I’ve also played with various settings in the app. Still nothing. Turns out there’s an RV service center a few block from my house that can do warranty service, so I’m just going to take it there on Tuesday. I’ll report back what they find so that others will learn what to do. Also going to have them address the AC bulletin service. 

• Santa Cruz, Calfornia
  • Options
    To help others who have a similar issue in the future, here's the resolution. I took the camper to a local RV service center. They tested the solar panel directly on the roof, and it was generating voltage. So, it seemed clear that the solar panel wasn't connected to the wiring running to the controller. The service center removed the fridge and, sure enough, the wires had never been connected. Hoping that nuCamp does the right thing and covers the service under warranty. Still waiting on that, but I assume they'll cover it. The issue is now fixed. 
    • Santa Cruz, Calfornia