2020 T@b400's trickling in... ('20 MY changes, UPDATED!)

2»

Comments

• 1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I just went out there and measured.

The trailer is nearly ready for travel, minus some clothes and perishable food.  Fresh tank is ~1/3, Black and Grey are empty.

With 1 propane tank: 410lbs
    With 2 propane tanks and cords/hoses & mats in the bin: 440/450 lbs

2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    What's your hitch and TV ratings?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I’m towing with a Toyota Tacoma Off-Road with the V6.  640 tongue load, 6400lbs towing capacity.

I’m using an equilizer hitch with weight distribution, mostly for the sway control, although there’s a big difference between having the bars connected vs not.
    2020 T@B 400
    Seattle, WA
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    No problems with your tongue weight then.  I was curious because although the 2020s have a lower dry tongue weight, members speculated that it would again creep up with loading the 400 - and it did.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @1968Healey  Do you really mean there IS  big difference having the bars connected, or NOT a big difference with that TV?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
    Yes, I think there's a big difference in how the Tacoma drives with the bars connected vs without - let me explain.

Trying to speak only to weight distribution: My Tacoma is the 'Off Road' version and, in my opinion, has some very squishy suspension.  Without the WDH bars connected (aka just the hitch on the ball), the rear of the truck squats by a few inches and, more importantly, the front end of the truck seems to drift higher in the air.  

After connecting the WDH bars, the truck sits effectively level front to rear.  There's a clear difference driving it with and without the WDH bars.  

Trying to speak only to sway control:  I did one trip without the bars and I did find the trailer swaying a tiny bit over a rough patch of highway.  After connecting the bars the trailer stays put all the time.  I wouldn't say there's a clear 'sway' difference between having the bars on vs not, but it's also hard to separate the two properties.

I originally bought these bars off a member here specifically for the sway control, but I'm glad it does WD as well.
    2020 T@B 400
    Seattle, WA
  • source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for the video.  Looking into moving to a 400 from a 2015 T@B Boondock and your video answered a lot of questions.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO