Options

Pump humming

Hello all!  So my first foray into de-winterizing all by myself going well so far.  Question-- I am testing the alde hot water now.  I am noticing that when I turn the pump on before I open any faucet to call for water that the pump makes a low humming noise-- it is not pumping water.  When the water pump runs it makes a much louder noise.  I also noticed that the previous owner had put a small piece of soft rubberized backed material on top of the pump to separate the pump from the pipe just above it.  I'm guessing to dampen the pump noise?  What is this humming noise?  When I turn off the pump all noise stops.

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    I heard mine hum yesterday too...in my case, it meant the water tank is empty, nothing to pump! I was bleaching the system, then ran the pump to also work on deadening the thumping. Then drained the remaining from the fresh tank. Forgot to turn the pump off. Rookie mistake on my part.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    We find that when we hook up to city water and then disconnect, the Alde tank and lines are filled and the system is pressurized.  Then we fill the fresh water tank and the pump runs very briefly as the system is already filled and pressurized.  If we first fill the fresh water tank and then prime the system, the pump runs much longer.

@lkc001,  How long does the pump run after you turn it on and before you open a faucet?  Make sure the pump filter and all connections are tight.  It should only run for a short time.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Sharon_is_SAM The pump seemed to run correctly when I first flipped it on-- a minute or two-- could hear water being pulled through the lines.  I'm filling alde from the FW tank with hot tap open.  When it stopped sputtering I figured the hot water was full.  I set the alde to boost, waited @ 30 minutes & got some warm water, not hot, hardly any at all then it went cold.  Figured I either ran the hot water dry or didn't wait long enough for the water to heat up.  That's when the pump was humming without a faucet open.  Was the pump trying to very slowly refill the water tank?  So then I put more water in the FW, opened the hot water tap again till it stopped sputtering, shut the hot water tap & the pump stopped ALL sound after about 15 seconds like it's supposed to.  I'm now waiting again for hot water to heat up again.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    When members have pump problems usually suggest to make sure your fresh water tank is full.  If the pump sensed a reduced pressure from a partially filled Alde, I suppose the pump would continue to run, it will do that if there is a leak in the system, too.

Regarding the Alde heating water:  when the Alde is turned on without heating the cabin, the water needs time to warm to a default temperature.  The boost only works when you are heating the cabin.  Selecting boost, temporarily (30 min.) stops the  hot glycol from circulating so cold glycol does not return to the Alde and cool the temperature.  Basically, the water benefits by the retained heat from the glycol.  So, unless you are heating your cabin, don't expect the boost to add to your hot water.  
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Ok-- i didn't completely fill the FW tank-- just about 1/2 full to flush the lines & fill the Alde.  Good to know that turning on the boost doesn't work unless the heat is on also.  I didn't have the heat on.  Second try with the hot water gave me more hot water for longer but still didn't seem like 2 1/2 gallons of hot water before it went lukewarm.  I think I'm going to turn up the mixer valve & try that next weekend.  Pump is stopping now like it's supposed to.  I'm figuring it out slowly.  No leaks in the plumbing anywhere.  I'm also going to be testing everything on gas next weekend.  Thanks so much for the tips!

Woohoo!
  • Options
    @lkc001 Did you back out the screw in the mixer valve knob or just turn the knob?
  • Options
    I haven't done anything with it today-- going to try that in a few days-- should I try just turning the knob first?

Woohoo!
  • Options
    You need to loosen the screw, not just turn the knob.  Here are the directions.  Make sure you do not loosen the screw too much, or you will get a bath!

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM  Yes I found those instructions & I am going to try that.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Approximately how long would you say it takes for the system to fill the Alde HW tank?
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    (I open the cold water first and get the air out, then open the hot taps.  This should not make a difference.)

Hooked up to city water with the pressure reducing valve  - the sputtering from the hot water faucets stops in a couple to a few minutes tops.

Filling the Alde from the fresh water tank takes much longer.  I am not sure how much volume per minute that the pump moves into the Alde.  Sorry, can't be exact here.  That's why I always advise to prime the plumbing system at home using a hose before going somewhere that you will depend on your fresh water tank.
  • Options
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Yeah, the pump is loud and it’s a long time to listen to it when you have other options.