Options

Window Issue

Hi All,
I just picked up a Tab 400– my family’s first camper— and we love it so far.  My only concern is that the back moon window doesn’t seem to line up wen closed.  I can latch down the left side, but two latches on the top right won’t reach. I’m not super concerned if this won’t let in water or extra air, but wanted to see if there’s a fix out there. 

Thanks all!
Sam

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,464
    I've not seen this issue before, but I would be inclined to get it fixed. While the window may seem tight, going down the road can create all manner of unpredictable swirlies that can pull the window off it's gasket if it is not fully and securely clamped down.
    Can you tell if the entire window is misaligned, or if it is a matter of the clamp components not being properly installed?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    foxworthybrownfoxworthybrown Member Posts: 5
    Thanks ScottG.  That’s a good call out.  I just looked and appears that the latch on the left side may have been installed ~1/4 inches further from the edge of the window. Should probably have a dealer look at it...
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2019
    I had my trailer in for the same thing last Friday at the factory.  If you are saying that the paddle locking device won’t reach the piece mounted along the edge of the window frame, it can be easily shimmed out.  That’s what they did to my trailer.  Additionally, that window piece can also be moved in or out by loosening the screws that hold it in place.  And if all else fails they can replace the window too.  I was told that although this rarely happens, it is something they do see from time to time.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MandoBikerMandoBiker Member Posts: 22
    I had this happen to mine only after opening the window and closing it.  The window attaches via a rail at the top and it slides back and forth a bit on the rail.  Sliding it back to the right allowed all the latches to catch securely as they had originally.
  • Options
    Thanks. I will let my dealer know and see if it’s an easy fix, but they are very far away. Are the shims a factory part or something I can get at a hardware store?
  • Options
    Tabmann400Tabmann400 Member Posts: 22
    It has happened to our 2018 Tab 400 after the dealer’s delivery and 5 hours drive taking it home.  It is an easy fix.  The back window or stargazer window also serves as an exit window, therefore the latch design on top of the window makes it movable or prone to misalignment.  One person has to go outside and grab hold of the two sides to align it to the locks and the second person to lock it from the inside. It doesn’t happen all the time. I was not going back to the dealer after we got home that day.  Just make sure they are properly locked next time before traveling. 
    Manny & Anne, from northeast Florida,  2018 Tab 400,  Silver with black trim, towed by 2017 Ram 1500
  • Options
    Thanks Tabmann.  That did the trick!
  • Options
    Tabmann400Tabmann400 Member Posts: 22
    You’re welcome, foxworthybrown.  We have also learned that it is so much easier for us to open this back window if the person is laying down flat on his/her back with legs towards the front, one hand pushing out the window in the middle and the other tightening the locking knobs. It is awkward or it is hard on our back in any other position because of the sloping wall. You’ll also find that the shade and screen  are so much easier to open using this method. 
    Manny & Anne, from northeast Florida,  2018 Tab 400,  Silver with black trim, towed by 2017 Ram 1500
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2019
    It has happened to our 2018 Tab 400 after the dealer’s delivery and 5 hours drive taking it home.  It is an easy fix.  The back window or stargazer window also serves as an exit window, therefore the latch design on top of the window makes it movable or prone to misalignment.  One person has to go outside and grab hold of the two sides to align it to the locks and the second person to lock it from the inside. It doesn’t happen all the time. I was not going back to the dealer after we got home that day.  Just make sure they are properly locked next time before traveling. 
    Mine seems to be doing the same thing now.  Exactly how did you realign the window?  Did you open it up (fully, part way) and then adjust it while it was open?  Did you just align it at the top rail?  Not quite following. Thanks.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I figured it out.  I wasn't able to slide the window enough to one side to make much of a difference.  However, shimming the latch bracket was very easy and fixed the problem.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    JEB said:
    Mine seems to be doing the same thing now.  Exactly how did you realign the window?  Did you open it up (fully, part way) and then adjust it while it was open?  Did you just align it at the top rail?  Not quite following. Thanks.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I figured it out.  I wasn't able to slide the window enough to one side to make much of a difference.  However, shimming the latch bracket was very easy and fixed the problem.
    Just curious, can you explain how you shimmed the latch to make it reach the tab on the window?
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY