Options

Replacing the step

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited May 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
My step is showing signs of wear and some sag and I plan to replace it this spring. Due to ourseemingky ongoing wet weather combined with my massive springtime allergy attack, I have been unable to crawl underneath to see if it is a simple replacement. Has anyone done it? I am thinking it make sense to find one that drops a couple if extra inches (I have the boo dock axle) but I am not sure if that would just make the step from the step to the trailer more awkward. Any thoughts?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    Jenn, I’m using cedar steps I got at a rummage sale last fall and love them! Many have used hot tub steps, too. I find having two steps is easier on my aging knees. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, I highly recommend the new step used on the 400’s. It doesn’t flex and bend and no rust. I think Austin has figured out how to get the nice light above the step on the 320’s. Ask Jasper Pendry, as I think he was the first to get the mod on his 320.. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    @jkjenn, I highly recommend the new step used on the 400’s. It doesn’t flex and bend and no rust. I think Austin has figured out how to get the nice light above the step on the 320’s. Ask Jasper Pendry, as I think he was the first to get the mod on his 320.. 
    Thanks, will do!

Jenn, I’m using cedar steps I got at a rummage sale last fall and love them! Many have used hot tub steps, too. I find having two steps is easier on my aging knees. 
    Thanks, but the last thing I need is one more thing to pack!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Two steps might be nice for your puppo.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Two steps might be nice for your puppo.
    He does really well with just one. He likes to jump...thankfully, he us light enough (15 lbs) to pick up as he ages. 

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I’ve I’ve toyed the idea of getting the new aluminum step(s)...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I got my dealer to agree to switch out the standard step with the new aluminum step on my 2019 320S BL.  Unfortunately, after they removed the standard step, they discovered that only two of the four bolts line up with the mounting holes on the aluminum step.  Thus, despite my successful negotiating for a better step, I had to leave with the standard version.  I wrote to nuCamp at the time and suggested that they should make the aluminum step standard on all their campers, or at least figure out a way that a purchaser can select whichever version they want.  It was a total bummer for me, because as @Verna noted, the aluminum step is much better.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thanks....I might be sending Austin an email tomorrow for a quote. Thankfully, I am just a couple of hours from Sugarcreek.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Does anyone have a photo of the aluminum step?

And dimensions of the mounting holes? (@bayliss,  Frustrating!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    The new step is shown near the end of Mandy Lea's video of the 2020 320.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    This is not a cheap mod and I probably will not make it this year. When I have some time, I will check out the existing step and if it is easily replaced.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    I hated the original step. I took it off and bought a standalone aluminum step. It's a huge improvement. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    A us year or so ago I enlarged the stock step with a piece of 3/4” plywood. Bolted directly to the original step. Cost less than $10. An added benefit is that when retracted it still extends about 6”. So when traveling and we make a quick stop it’s easier to enter and exit without pIllini out the step. When parked I do support the step to reduce stress on mounting points.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    Does anyone have an idea of how much the new aluminum step cost for the parts?
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,511
    This might be worth having a look at:
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Hickory-RV-Steps/951243EXTALC1.html

The guys at etrailer are pretty responsive, and you might be able to get the bolt pattern details from them.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ChanW said:

@ChanW, here are the measurements:
    7 7/8” wide
    20 1/2” long
     And I do not know how to measure for the bolt pattern. That may be a question for tech@nucamprv.com. 

If you need different photos, tell what you need to see.   

The first photo is looking up at the step from the front of the step.

Towards the front from the left side of step as facing 400
    From front of step, looking down the passenger side at my folded chairs

Looking downward at the step
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    This might be worth having a look at:
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/Hickory-RV-Steps/951243EXTALC1.html

The guys at etrailer are pretty responsive, and you might be able to get the bolt pattern details from them.
    Yeah, this is one that has been on my list. Thanks

• Options
    The good news is that upon further inspection it appears that I do not need a new step, just a can of PB Blaster and a box wrench. It appears that the nut holding the step up on one side is lower than the other side. That should be an easy fix.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks for that @Verna! And the photos!
    Verna said:
    ChanW said:

@ChanW, here are the measurements:
    7 7/8” wide
    20 1/2” long
     And I do not know how to measure for the bolt pattern. That may be a question for tech@nucamprv.com. 

If you need different photos, tell what you need to see.   
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    3leggedRoz3leggedRoz Member Posts: 3
    Dalehelman, that is exactly what I've been trying to design.  Would you be willing to share the specs on it?  And what are you using to hold it up?  
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @3leggedRoz
    3/4” plywood cut 15”x 22 1/2” bolted to existing step. Because of the added lever you should use 
    Quick Products QP-JSS-4 RV Step Stabilizer (4.75" - 7.75") 
    Quick Products
    $10.17

The one I used required some cutting and welding to make it short enough.
    Camco Self-Stor Step - Mounts Under RV Steps to Stabilize Steps and Prevent RV Movement and Swaying, Lifts Up For Easy Storage After Use , One Time Installation (43671) 
    Camco 
    $17.56
    1. Hash  T@B Fun