Type of suspension

RerailRerail Member Posts: 22
Folks, 
I would like to know the type of suspension on the T@B 320. I can see that it appears to be a torsion bar type as per my previous trailer. When I purchased the trailer, the sales person did not know. He said it was torsion bar but did know the brand. I am assuming something like a Dexter system
Thanks,
Keith Stamper
Port Colborne,
Ont Canada

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Yes,  Dexter Torflex. ( at least since 2016 )

For T@B 320 S two axle pitches are available; standard and 'boondock models' which adds some additional ground clearance.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    But just to make it clear, they are not torsion bars.

see it as a sqiare tube with 4 rubbers piece in each corners, and a smaller metal shaft press tight in the middle.  The resistance from the 4 piece of rubber is what is acting as the suspension when there is movement.

will try to find a video.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • gandegande Member Posts: 91
    Does the 400 use the same type of suspension? 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Luckyj said:
    A vid explains it way better than I can.

Thanks for posting the informative video.  I did not know how exactly the system worked. 

I've never found the T@b 320's suspension particularly compliant, but I don't really have much of a basis for comparison. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @gande yes, same type of axle, but might be a higher weight capacity.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Do not jack or let anyone jack on the axle tube either!  could damage it.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited May 2019
    atlasb said:
    Do not jack or let anyone jack on the axle tube either!  could damage it.
    And now that I know how the axle works I have a better understanding of why!
    2015 T@B S
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Suspension compliance (ride) is not so much a function of its type, whether leaf, coil, air or torsion, but it's effective travel.  The Dexter axle IMHO is a good, simple and robust unit. It is NOT, however, particularly compliant. I'd venture a guess that it's got around 3 useful inches of travel. Suspension is, by nature, a sorry compromise. Any more travel and it's either too tall or dragging hard parts. Any less travel and it's a buckboard.
    A pint never holds more
    Than a pint...

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We've found the T@b to bounce less since adding the hitch tightener.  We run 35 psi in the tires and maybe a few thousand miles have softened it up a bit. It sure seems better than the first year we towed it.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    db_cooper said:
    . . .  run 35 psi in the tires and maybe a few thousand miles have softened it up a bit.
    For myself 35 psi is too near the tires max load being equal to 50% of T@B GVW.
    I'm running 48 psi and feel it's overkill for the T@B and may reduce it a bit
    . . . but no way would I go to 35 psi . . .
    our actual tire sizes not on table - - you get the idea
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    For the general grabber LT's on the outback I'm  happy at 35 psi. I've run 70 mph for 3 hours in 80 degree temps, and the tires were barely above ambient.  I figure bouncing tires at 50 psi creates a different stress on the tires and trailer, I did it the first couple trips and thought towing was miserable.

The key is monitoring and paying attention. I won't leave the driveway a pound below 35.  I also check tires and hubs at every stop.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• RerailRerail Member Posts: 22
    Thanks to all who responded. I was pretty sure that the suspension was the Dexter type or Torflex. I had this exact same syuspension on the Airstream and it works really well. Yes, never jack the trailer up on the suspension. That will damage the torque arm.
    I appreciate the feedback.

Keith Stamper
    Port Colborne,
    Ont, Canada
  • BabsBabs Member Posts: 26
    The videos appear to be a reliable source of information.  How can people view them since they are marked "private"?  Thanks.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    @Babs Here is the video from a different link.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi