Options

Need New Battery for 400 - Your Recom. Please

Hi. The 12-volt battery in our 400 has gone kaput and is in need or replacing. I would very much appreciate recommendations for a new battery. Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I just replaced ours and found the Interstate AGM 4D battery to be a direct replacement.  Talked to Harris Battery and they no longer carry the original battery.  NU Camp replaced the single 12v with 2 , 6v batteries.  They are taller than the original and are now placed into a plastic sealed battery box and have installed a external vent. When NU Camp switches to the double 6v batteries it requires modifying the floor to get the battery box to fit. Also, there will be some additional wiring needed. The batteries that Harris supplies were quoted me at $375 each.  Interstate batteries quoted 6v at $325 each. List price for The AGM4D was $515.  The Interstate is 200 AH vs the original was 235AH or so.  Interstate is pretty easy to locate a dealer and their service at least in our area is OK.  Not so much with Harris.  Order and they will ship.  I did have to have the local interstate dealer bring the battery in for us.  I am sure there are other suppliers so worth a try to look around.  Might check solar suppliers as the AGM 4d sometimes is in their supply.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    How do you know your battery is "kaput?"  Have you had it tested?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    How do you know your battery is "kaput?"  Have you had it tested?

If your battery is consistently less than 11.5V and cannot take or hold a charge when you put a regular battery meter to it, then it's kaput. A reading of 4.8V is one that is a guaranteed kaput battery.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have been using Interstate batteries for a number of years and I have always been satisfied. I would not hesitate replacing with the Interstate batteries that @atlasb mentioned.  

I did replace my Tacoma’s battery with an Interstate AGM battery in January and I am extremely pleased with its performance. 

I had Interstate 6V lead acid golf cart batteries on my T@B 320 and they were still fine after 3 years when I traded it in.  

And, I always get my Interstate batteries from the Interstate stores as they are more powerful than the ones sold at the large retail stores. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    FerdFerd Member Posts: 16
    atlasb & Verna: Thank you very much for the extremely useful advice and information about Interstate batteries. This is exactly what I needed. Again, thanks so much. Re kaput, we went dry camping last month and even though I knew better I let the battery drain to the point that the Alde system shut off (propane heating) because of low voltage. Back at home I can get the battery to charge to only 11.57V.