Options

Battery Specs and Victron Settings

RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
I thought my questions on this subject had been covered here, but where....?
The Victron Solar Controller I understand needs to be set up to accommodate the batteries it is charging, so...
1.  What are the particular charging parameters that the 6 volt batteries require ? Or where do I find them ?
2.  How do you adjust the Victron controller to accommodate this battery ? Or, does-did NuCamp set up the controller ?
thanks for any help on this !

400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    RCB said:
    I thought my questions on this subject had been covered here, but where....?
    The Victron Solar Controller I understand needs to be set up to accommodate the batteries it is charging, so...
    1.  What are the particular charging parameters that the 6 volt batteries require ? Or where do I find them ?
    2.  How do you adjust the Victron controller to accommodate this battery ? Or, does-did NuCamp set up the controller ?
    thanks for any help on this !

The battery manufacturer's website should have the specs that you need.

I would email tech support at nuCamp to find out if they set it up for factory solar installations.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Jkjenn, Thanks, I’ll do that.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2019
    NuCamp definitely did not configure the solar charge controller. It just used the factory default from Victron.  I doubt nuCamp will be able to provide you much help either.  They’ll just refer you to the vendor - Harris Battery Company. 

I went on the assumption that the Harris Battery 6V AGMs were in fact rebranded US Battery AGM 2224s. I didn’t have much choice.  I called Harris Battery directly for the charging specifications and they were of no help whatsoever.  They had nothing in their databases and nobody there seemed to know much about the use of these batteries in solar applications. 

From US Battery’s website I was able to derive, with a little arithmetic, the following charging specifications:

Absorption Voltage = 14.7V
    Max. Time = 6 hours
    Float Voltage = 13.4V
    Equalization = 14.7V
    Equalization Frequency = 30 days
    Temperature Compensation = -15mV/C

I know that AGMs usually don’t require equalization.  But US Battery’s literature suggested it was fine to do it once a month. The equalization cycle is essentially just an extended absorption cycle.  Where US Battery gave a range for charging voltage, I selected the midpoint.  Absorption time US Battery specifies is 2-3 hours. I set it for six, however, for two reasons.  Six was the default set by Victron.  And, US Battery indicates that the battery itself will provide feedback as to how long it needs to stay in the absorption stage.  So, I saw no need to cut it short artificially. 

This document gives you most of the charging specifications:  https://www.usbattery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/usb_agm_2224_DATA_1016.pdf

This one was helpful for equalization requirements and general care and feeding:  https://usbattery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/usb-charging-recommendations.pdf
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    I now have the 6v battery specs and will try to add the PDFs here: cannot seem to do it from my iPad. So, relevant specs as follows:
    Harris Battery model HBDAGMGC6-A but made by Leoch
    6 volt ( double the numbers below for our 12v installation)
    Cycle (bulk) 7.2 - 7.35 volts
    Float. 6.8 - 6.9 volts. Both at 77f
    no mention of equalization
    20 hour rate 11.2A to 5.25volts and 224 Ah

i think the Victron settings can be adjusted when the app is connected, at least that is how I read the screen settings option.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    edited June 2019

More info on the 6v AGM batteries in the newer 400. Note I was able to post an email from my iPad. Below is a response from Harris Battery to my question about equalization of these batteries.

I assume these batteries are installed in an RV.  We recommend using the AGM setting on the inverter/charge controller that should normally be set to no more than 2.40 to 2.45 volts per cell.  We always recommend opportunity charging whenever possible so the batteries can achieve their 100% state of charge as often as possible.  Overcharging can be an issue with AGM batteries as opposed to flooded cell batteries that can be opened and boiled off water added back.  Therefore we hesitate recommending equalization or “overcharging” since AGM batteries are sealed and never opened.  By recovering the charge back to 100% you will normally not have any cells lagging behind.  Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any concerns.

Sincerely,

400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON