Options

Alde not working on T@B400

Will the Alde System work if the cables are unhooked from the battery, but we are on shore power?  Our battery needed charging because it was tripping the breakers so my husband unhooked the battery and hooked up the smart charger.  But the Alde System won't come on.
Help!

Pam

Pam and Ron, 2018 T@B 400 named Felix, white with black trim, pulled by a 6 cylinder Toyota Truck.

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Alde definitely needs 12v, but whether that is supplied with no battery and just the converter I am unsure.

Bigger question is how a dead battery is tripping breakers? The only breaker that would be involved would be the converter one tripping due to overloading the charger. That amount of current draw would seem to indicate one or more shorted cells in the battery. My guess is the battery is toast and will need replaced.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    @PamHoward, the converter supplies power to all your 12 v appliances including the Alde.  Check to make sure the Alde is plugged in under the bench.  Then, if it is plugged in, you may consider that you have blown fuses, so check your breaker box to make sure your circuits did not trip and your fuses are intact.  Then check all your Alde fuses.  In the future, make sure your Alde is turned off before disconnecting power because the next time you plug in, if the Alde is on, it may be susceptible to a power  surge and blow your Alde fuses.

Instead of unhooking the cables from the battery, can’t you just turn the battery switch to “off”?

Do you have the 40 amp circuit breaker on your battery or do you still have a 30 amp fuse?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PamHowardPamHoward Member Posts: 25
    Well, good news....the battery charged overnight and so far it has not tripped.  It is reading 12.5.  We do have the 40amp circuit breaker.  Every time we go out, we learn something new.  Oh, and it was tripping things when the battery was still hooked up.   My husband disconnected it to charge it so that was when he could not get the Alde started.  The battery was fully charged when we dropped it off at NuCamp to have the floor replaced ( a factory recall for T@400 made is late 2017).  We are guessing that the guys working on it had the lights and radio on.  But all is well now!!!  Yeah.  We also got to take the tour of the factory and that was very neat!!!

Pam and Ron, 2018 T@B 400 named Felix, white with black trim, pulled by a 6 cylinder Toyota Truck.

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Explain to your listeners "it was tripping things" .
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    PamHowardPamHoward Member Posts: 25
    Well we thought all was good this morning, but when we hooked up the battery again, the Alde system did not come up at all.  Yes we checked the fuses and the things one is supposed to do.  So since we were still in Sugarcreek, I gave Austin from the service center a call and told him the problem. We tried trouble shooting it but he said bring it back over. They had just replaced the faulty flooring for us and we had picked it up day before yesterday.  Turns out it was a faulty Alde circuit board and they replaced it...thanks goodness for the warranty!  Tonight we are almost home and all seems well in the camper.  Austin and his crew are great!   The comment of "it was tripping things" is something in the breaker box was turning off.  Now I am not an engineer so that is about as technical as I am going to get <G>.  We think the low voltage on the battery was shutting things off which had nothing to do with the Alde board.