Options

Electrical Cut Off Switches

What do people like to use in the T@B for a battery cutoff switch or a solar panel cut off switch?  Fuses, breakers, a marine style selector switch, or something else?  And do any of these cause enough electrical resistance so as to be avoided?

Comments

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I use a combined switch and 50 amp breaker.  Available from many online marine suppliers.

Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I have yet to install it but will be using a marine type battery switch. It's a bit overkill, but should be problem free. I will install it inside, on the positive lead that runs from the battery to the power converter. Some install it right next to the battery but I like keeping inside and dry, even though it is rated for wet locations. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2015
    I think it's like anything else, you get what you pay for.  I like the ability to isolate the trailer from the battery because there are many items within these trailers that are calling for energy (e.g., relays, LED circuit boards, lights, TV/DVD components, etc.) when it is sitting idle, not to mention that a battery will lose charge on its own just sitting idle.  And agree, keeping these devices dry and in protected location is a good thing and adds longevity as water interacts with metals and creates a corrosive action over time.  

This is the switch I have and it's around $21 on Amazon Prime.

Marinco 701 Battery Disconnect Switch Free Shipping New
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    y2kdaddioy2kdaddio Member Posts: 20
    Hi Mike,  I picked up this switch.  Can you please tell me where you mounted it and where you cut the wires?  Negative side I assume.  Thanks, Tom
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Mine is mounted on the side of my battery box inside my tool box on the front of my Silver Shadow, but my switch is "fully insulated" and is mounted on my battery box to the positive side of the battery.  

I would however caution others to be aware that hooking to the positive side with any switch with exposed parts can result in a short-circuit situation and potential fire should a metallic object come in contact with the positive side.  many of these devices are exposed and in that case always connect to the negative side of the battery to eliminate any potential contact points.  And if you are not familiar with electricity and the principles therein I would recommend that you have a professional perform these types of installations/modifications to avoid problems down the road.   
  • Options
    Sounds like I need to "noodle" this out a bit.  Our T@Baru is just coming out of hibernation from the winter (although it feels like winter here today - the bird bath water was frozen this morning).
  • Options
    Boy, am I getting confused now.  I felt uncomfortable putting this switch on the positive.  Experience tells me it goes on the negative side.  If you Google this,it's about 50/50 which side the switch should be put on.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    As an addendum to my earlier comments Tom I will add here that "how you connect the switch" depends on the type of switch you choose to use in this particular application.   The switch I used is fully insulated, will not create a short circuit scenario and I chose to connect mine to the positive side of the battery.   I'm also familiar with electricity, have worked with it for 40 years and am confident in the application used.

However, if anyone attempts this task and uses a battery disconnect (as shown below) that has any exposed metal surfaces (similar to the ones shown below) or where the surface could come into contact with gear, tools, etc. and that could short it out, I would suggest you DO use the negative terminal on the battery as a shut-off point and connect the negative to the battery.   It's my understanding too that the negative battery post is smaller (than the positive battery post) and will fit easily into the post of the disconnect shown below.  I would recommend that you speak to a professional and consider having this modification performed by them if you are unfamiliar with these types of devices.  

• Options
    BonnieBonnie Member Posts: 6
    Question from a newbie...  Since there are a number of items that cause battery drain when not using the T@B, if I keep it plugged into reg 110V when garaged, will this keep the battery charged up?  

Bonnie K

2015 T@B MAX S  TV Cad SRX

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Bonnie said:
    Question from a newbie...  Since there are a number of items that cause battery drain when not using the T@B, if I keep it plugged into reg 110V when garaged, will this keep the battery charged up?  
    Yes, it sure will. Just make sure you have the correct dog bone connector. 30 amp to 110v

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    A dogbone!! I'm a newbie, like at least a few new T@Bbers. So I needed some help interpreting this good advice. Check this out if you need a little help understanding issues you might face when phasing in -- at home or on the road. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYBei5BZmw
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Bonnie said:
    You CAN plug your trailer in as noted above and the electric converter will float the charge and maintain the proper voltage on the trailer.  I spoke with Scott Hubble at the factory and they recommend moderation in the above, or that you plug the trailer in for 2-3 days and unplug the unit if it will sit lets say for a 3 month interval as during winter months, etc.   The manufacturer doesn't list these deviations in use (says it's okay to keep a unit plugged in) but it's like anything else, it does put some wear and tear on the electrical component and with that said, this is your own personal choice and decision therein.  

I'd recommend a battery tender to keep your battery topped off if the trailer is going to sit idle for a longer duration of non-use as they are economical, do keep the battery topped off and properly maintained.  The tenders can be easily plugged into the Zamp solar port on the battery case.  Do some research and a little looking around via Google as there are different battery tender models available and you can decide which avenue to take and what best meets your needs.

Battery Tender 021-0156 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger True Gel Cell Model

• Options
    BonnieBonnie Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for all the info.  I'm going to check out getting a battery tender as suggested.  Also, could you take pics and post on how you installed the battery cut-off switch?  It would be helpful!  Second question, I have a 1800 watt toaster oven I would like to use.  Will this work or have any impact when plugged in the trailer or outside trailer plug if I have the trailer hooked up to 30 AMP supply??

Bonnie K

2015 T@B MAX S  TV Cad SRX

• Options
    Bonnie, if it were me I would have a professional install the battery switch for you.  I'd hate to see you get into trouble and having it done professionally will eliminate any problems down the road and ensure that you have a safe set-up.