Options

Trailer Movers - Purpleline or Camper Trolley

SeattleAlanSeattleAlan Member Posts: 24
edited May 2019 in Products and Accessories
Has anyone had any experience with Purpeline or Camper Trolley to move their Tab 400 around?  I believe Kronings makes these trolleys and they are re-branded by various folks like Trailer Valet.  What's your Purpleine install look like?

I have a gravel drive off an alley that has a bit of a slope to get into.  I was thinking one of these might make my life easier.  My other option it to pave more of our back yard... which is more $$ than one of these trailer movers.  

I'm concerned one these won't be able to deal w/ the gravel and/or the slope.

Thanks!
soon to have 2020 T@B 400
2019 Ford F-150

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited May 2019
    As far as I’m aware, Kronings is a different manufacturer than Purpleline. There a video from Australia (I think) out there somewhere comparing the Purpleline to a number of other manufacturers, and I vaguely remember one of them was the Kronings mover. Kronings is used on the Safari Condo Alto, I believe. I have yet to hear of anyone who has used it on a T@b.

All that aside, Purpleline was easier to get my mitts on and has a US rep who is very responsive to questions, concerns, and installation issues. I wouldn’t hesite to email them via their website contact with your specifics. Mine handles a brief 12 degree slope on a mostly 6 degree aggregate concrete driveway without trouble. Slow as a slug, but it makes it into the carport with no human assistance beyond pushing buttons. The first link Sharon posted will point you to a video of a T@da with the Purpleline installed being moved on a mostly level, hardpacked dirt and gravel campsite.

For hard packed gravel, you may need a pnuematic jockey wheel on your tongue jack, but again, I’d consult directly with Purpleline to figure out whether or not they will suit your situation. Mine does OK with just a double wheel, but has not been tested on gravel. 320 owners typically need to upgrade their batteries too, but a 400 won’t have that issue.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have had my Purpleline Mover on my 2007 Clamshell for almost 5 years now. It has been fantastic, and has worked really well in every situation I've used it. I have a completely different jockey wheel than the Pleasant Valley trailers, and it really works well with the Purpleline. There are many threads on modifying the wheel on the Pleasant Valley jacks to work with Power Movers.

FYI as far as battery, I don't boondock, and have a Group 31 Optima in my trailer, so battery has never been an issue.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options

FYI as far as battery, I don't boondock, and have a Group 31 Optima in my trailer, so battery has never been an issue.
    The group 31 is an upgrade from the group 24 that is typically supplied by dealers on the nuCamp T@b 320 though, and the Optima is an AGM, so can be drained a little further/more frequently without damage. I went with a group 27 AGM, drains about 30% just going up my driveway. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Thank you for the input so far.... 

I watched the installation video for Purpleline's trailer mover.  Can anyone tell me what type of frame the Tab 400 has?   A box or i-beam frame?  We are just getting ready to purchase one - so I don't have one to look at.

Appears that the i-beam frame installation might be easier.... less drilling.

Thanks,
    Alan
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I *thought* it was a C channel, but don’t quote me on that. I’m assuming from your name that you’re in the Puget Sound area, if so, you can always call or drop by Apache to look more closely at how you would have to do the install. I know for the nuCamp 320, some drilling is required, while the Dutchman T@bs and T@das are bolt on. (Correction, T@das are box framed.)

If you decide not to DIY, Apache worked with Cascade Custom Coaches in Sultan to have mine installed, took about 4 labor hours. They did an excellent job and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend their work. Be aware that you’ve got about 100 pounds of motors and such to deal with. On the 320, there isn’t enough room in front of the axle to install, the Purpleline has to go behind, not sure about the 400...preferred install is in front of the axle. You will also need to decide on a spot somewhere inside between the battery and motors for the computer, which is only a couple of inches high. Mine ended up in the cabinet under the stove.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    VictoriaP said:
    I *thought* it was a C channel, but don’t quote me on that. I’m assuming from your name that you’re in the Puget Sound area, if so, you can always call or drop by Apache to look more closely at how you would have to do the install. I know for the nuCamp 320, some drilling is required, white the Dutchman T@bs and T@das are bolt on.

The T@DAs are not bolt on, they have a box frame
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I confirmed with NuCamp it’s a Channel. 

Does anyone have a photo of a Purpleline install on at Tab 400?  I suppose a 320 would be similar too. 

Thanks. 
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited June 2019
    I'm also interested to hear from any 400 owners with a Purpleline.  I see on the UK website they sell a titanium model that is significantly lighter than other models.  I emailed them today....hoping the turamium one is also available in the US as I'm concerned about added weight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited June 2019
    The USA rep just replied saying the titanium model is not available in the U.S. but the titanium one is only about 12 pounds lighter than the other models.  He also said they install alot of these on T@B's in the UK and because our campers are small, the Enduro is plenty good enough and that I wouldn't need to spend the extra money even for the e-go (non-titanium model)  Nice that he was so nice to give me that info. 

He said it was ok to post his contact info here on the forum and he said feel free to contact him with any questions you might have.

Paul Liner

(925) 215-7315

paul@purplelineusa.com

Purple Line LLC

2183 Harbor St, Pittsburg, CA, 94565

www.purplelineusa.com

• Options
    MisssubaruMisssubaru Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me what a reasonable price to install on my new 2021 Tab 320S Boondock to put on purple trailer mover. I was told by the company it takes 4 hrs to install 
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me what a reasonable price to install on my new 2021 Tab 320S Boondock to put on purple trailer mover. I was told by the company it takes 4 hrs to install 
    Depends on your area. 4-6 hours depending on how good your installer is, assume $100-150/hour. Labor on mine was just under $500 with tax.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    the above is on a 2018 400 owner installed.  Wanted to install behind wheel but clearance was not good with the rear cross member. The pictures are the first try to install behind the wheels. Took time to install as had to figure out just how I wanted it to go.  Had problems after a couple uses and had to replace control box and hand set .  Since installed have not had to move it by hand since.  Get close to where I want and drive it to its final place.  Love using it to spot it in the shop for parking.  All in all, a great back saving option and would do it again in a heart beat.  Can also be transferred to a different RV should we ever give up the 400.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    I got the purpleline on my 320. In order for this to fit behind the wheels the jacks and blackwater outlet need to move farther aft. Install time on mine was around 8 hours. 
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    KalakalaKalakala Member Posts: 2
    Been reading the forum for 6 years and entering my first comment. I’ve been interested in a purpleline, but didn’t  feel technical enough to evaluate if it’s worth the expense and a good fit for me.  After reading everybody’s experience here, I have the confidence to go for it.  This is for anybody in a similar circumstance.  My dealer no longer sells Nucamp so I had to shop install. Been waiting for Tom’s Camperland about 6 months to get back to me.  I was advised by purpleline Camping World installs. Not in Henderson, NV. I contacted Apache in Poulsbo (old stomping grounds) several months ago, but they gave me a ballpark price and it sounded pretty high so I put that aside. I’ll be traveling to Montana soon, so I contacted Teton Adventures RV in Idaho Falls. I have a 2017 320s and asked for a price on changing my axle to Boondock style and Purpleline install. They said they will install purpleline, and would get back to me on prices. I sent him my serial number from TAB via email and he called about 9 days later. Out the door price for axle replacement is $952, $672 of that is the part. They’ll have axle come in with trailer shipment, saving me freight expense. I declined new wheels and tires as I’ll decide that locally. He suggested I order purpleline (Quattro) direct so I wouldn’t be charged dealer markup. I called purpleline (CA) as web said on back order. I was advised they’re expecting them in late April. They will send to dealership. Cost is $1600 plus shipping of around $210. They didn’t charge tax🤞.  I didn’t get an exact price on install of purpleline, but was advised they didn’t expect it to take long and gave me their hourly rate.  Thank you to everybody who has shared their experiences. I’m looking forward to getting more use from my TAB knowing I’ll have less concern about placing it in some difficult spaces I have to navigate. 
  • Options
    @Kalakala (please tell me you took that name from the old ferry, I loved that thing!) Install for a Purpleline is typically 4-6 hours, so budget accordingly.

I have no regrets whatsoever about mine. Worth every penny I spent three years ago, and though yours will be a fair bit more (new model + inflation, sigh), I’d pay what you’re paying and still not regret it. For me, it’s indispensable, and I’d never again own a trailer without it.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    KalakalaKalakala Member Posts: 2
    Yes, VictoriaP, it was the storied Kalakala that inspired my name.  My silver TAB is a reminder of that beautiful ferry.  I appreciate all you've written about your purpleline.  I feel confident in my decision and agree it's worth the money.  I realize I'll use it more for quick trips.  Currently the idea of putting it back in it's tight spot is off-putting, except when traveling long distance.  Thank you to everybody who has written about their experience. 

BTW, for anybody considering replacing their axle, I found the estimate given to me by Camping World 07/21.  From the estimate, R&R axle, axle hub R&R, brake shoes R&R, TT wheel bear, parts & labor total $847.  I would have ordered axle, sent directly to CW.  From earlier post, I'm paying $952 for parts, labor, & tax thru dealer, Teton Adventures RV in Idaho Falls.