Options

Rotate Tires? Including Spare?

DaveCDaveC Member Posts: 81
Is there any advantage to rotating tires? If so should you include the spare in your rotation.  This is my first trailer and I have no idea what mileage you should expect (2016 Outback), or if it is worth the trouble.
2017 T@B 320 Outback 2023 400 BD (IdahoTabato) pushing a 2023 Volvo XC90

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The spare is not on as “pretty” of a wheel as the two tires on the ground.  That may look a bit funky to have two different types of wheels, but then again...you can’t see both tires at the same time....

Someone else can answer the rest of the question. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    The mileage you get depends on the tires, how/where you tow, and how well you manage your tire pressures.  That said, unless you are running back and forth across the country, the tires will probably weather rot before they wear out--although ST tires have less tread depth (from new) than automotive tires.
    Regarding rotation, I have never seen any sense in keeping a brand new, unused, spare--on either a trailer or my truck.  I generally rotate all five tires on my truck until it is time for new tires.  Then I keep the best of those for the spare and buy four new tires.  After that, I just rotate the four road tires and leave the spare stowed.  I plan to rotate all three tires on my TAB400 until new tires are needed.  Then, keep the best for the spare and rotate the two new tires back and forth.
    Keep watching this space as there WILL be different opinions--some may be better than mine.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    My spare isn't even the same tire as the other two.
    Regardless, I wouldn't bother rotating them unless there was evidence of uneven wear--and if that's the case you may have a bigger problem with axle alignment.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    For many users, the tires will expire due to their age, rather than wear.  If stored outdoors, your likely looking at a max of about 5 years.  But, if you get down to about 3/32" of tread depth, I'd replace them.

I don't believe rotating the tires is a worthwhile exercise.

If the tread is wearing out in the centre of the tire faster than the outside of the tread, you should likely consider lowering the tire pressure.  Conversely, if the outside of the tread is wearing faster than the centre of the tread, you may consider increasing the tire pressure, of course staying within the limits on the sidewalls. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada