Options

How many amps or volts does fridge use?

I have 2017 Tab cs s. Unsure which model Norcold fridge I have.

How much does it draw at startup when it cycles?

I also use a Northern Fridge chest style fridge/freezer. When voltage drops too low it cuts out as a safety feature for the battery.

I suspect this happens when Norcold cuts in, just long enough that the Northern Fridge goes into safety mode.

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I think that it's about 3 amps.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    Can there be a drop in voltage as it cuts in, then be steady?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Yes, just like any additional appliance added to a circuit, there will be an additional power draw.  Especially with initial cooling or heat production.  You did not say if you are on ac or dc, but, I would recommend pre-cooling your frig on ac first, then plug in your Northern Frig.  Can you lower the Northern frig low cut off, or is it already at it’s lowest?  

If you are planning to run both frigs on shorepower at a campsite, another idea is to run an extension cord to the 120 outlet on the pedestal.  They will both have their own voltage source.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    If you have the Norcold 3163 3-Way refrigerator the manufacturer specifications on current draw are:

AC:
    1.3 amps @ 110 VAC
    1.4 amps @ 120 VAC

DC:
    11.7 amps @ 12 VDC
    13.6 amps @ 14 VDC

Running on Propane:
    Ignition relighter: 150 milliamps during ignition, 100 milliamps steady state

Ventilation fan - 240 milliamps when running
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    The clamshells only have the 2 way frig.  It would be helpful to know the model number.  Not sure if they are using a different model in the newer builds.  The NR740 BB models draw 3.6 amps.
  • Options
    I am wanting to run on battery for up to 18 hours when stopped overnight.  Fridge and "freezer" were both precooled before I attempted dc. I switch from ac to dc, thwn when I come back in a short while the "freezer" is already in safety mode so as not to discharge battery further. 

Apparently the battery is good as per interstate dealer but it was not tested under load.

Sorry I keep forgetting to check which 2 way Norcold model I have.
  • Options
    I forgot I have one group 24 75amph battery.
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i think if you open the fridge  there is a label inside,    if i remember correctly my 2018  CSS 2 way fridge is 5.5amp on AC.  
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    mreric said:
    i think if you open the fridge  there is a label inside,    if i remember correctly my 2018  CSS 2 way fridge is 5.5amp on AC.  
    I'd believe 5.5A on DC, but not AC.  That's a lot of power. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    rkj__ said:
    mreric said:
    I'd believe 5.5A on DC, but not AC.  That's a lot of power. 
    sorry ,  typo.,  i did mean DC...   i think AC was a lot less
  • Options
    I don't know the draw on your Northern, but, I suspect it will be higher as you are using it as a freezer.  If you do the math, with a 75 amp battery, you have less than 40 amps to use before recharging.  I do not believe that will get you 18 hours over night, even if you can get them both to run.  Your best bet is to consider pre-cooling both, stuff the frig with frozen bottles of water and leave the door closed, then drive with the freezer on and find an electric site for the night.  Also, are you sure your TV will recharge your battery AND keep a frig or freezer operable?

Or - I would suggest a larger battery and maybe look into running them off an inverter.  But you need a larger battery for starters.  Have you tried just the freezer to see if it will stay on by itself?  
  • Options
    I don't where I got info but I was given to understand I should be able to go overnight. Since then by everyone's comments and other knowledgeable people I'm sure I cannot run both. Still finding it difficult to understand all this amp hour stuff. Thank you everyone.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Mega said:
    I don't where I got info but I was given to understand I should be able to go overnight. Since then by everyone's comments and other knowledgeable people I'm sure I cannot run both. Still finding it difficult to understand all this amp hour stuff. Thank you everyone.

Fridges are really tricky.  Sure, they draw a certain amount of amps when running, but they are not always running.  How often they run, depends on how fast they loose their cool, which depends on how often you open it, and the ambient temperature. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada