Options

SUV Tow Vehicle for Tab 400

2»

Comments

• Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    @VictoriaP, is on point. I might think about it with a 2020 400 (~383 lbs tongue weight, wet), but a 2019 would not be fun, and would likely exceed limits.
        2020nuCamp catalog says 372 wet tongue weight.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    trimtab said:
    @VictoriaP, is on point. I might think about it with a 2020 400 (~383 lbs tongue weight, wet), but a 2019 would not be fun, and would likely exceed limits.
        2020nuCamp catalog says 372 wet tongue weight.
    Many owners have found the stated tongue weights for the 400 to be under, sometimes by a lot. Additionally, that listed wet tongue weight doesn’t include what YOU load onto the trailer or into the cargo area of the vehicle, and most people carry quite a bit. If you’re looking at any trailer that is borderline for your tow vehicle, I would suggest that you get the dealer to weigh the tongue in front of you to be certain you’re getting what you expect.

Or better yet, get a lighter trailer or a more capable tow vehicle.

(I also wouldn’t consider a 2020 400 due to the AC issue. But that’s me.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    Hey thanks Victoria.
    Yeah, we are still thinking..but the 400 would be the one since we are not puppies anymore. Weighing the tongue is a good idea..thank you.
    We have had two previous Rv's, used the AC once..but who knows..
    Changing TVs..won't happen.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Not to confuse anything here, but...Tongue weight is a static weight and generally achieved only when the vehicle is not moving. On the road when moving that tongue load can vary significantly. Consider going over an undulating surface and the whole rig is going up and down. That static tongue load might go from near 0 to double.  When the trailer tongue moves downward the load on the hitch increases and decreases when it moves upwards. It’s a case of velocity X mass. 
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    trimtab said:
    Hey thanks Victoria.
    Yeah, we are still thinking..but the 400 would be the one since we are not puppies anymore. Weighing the tongue is a good idea..thank you.
    We have had two previous Rv's, used the AC once..but who knows..
    Changing TVs..won't happen.
    Even if you personally don’t use the AC (I haven’t so far), eventually you or your heirs will sell the trailer. Until the 2020 400 AC issue is resolved (if it can be), those models may be worth less to knowledgeable buyers or simply harder to sell in large portions of the country, because most people do use it. I’d get a 2021 instead, assuming your tow vehicle can safely handle it.

Personal opinion, obviously. That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee nowadays. 😊
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    FWIW, when I purchased my '19 400 I had both the dealer and a respected RV shop (where I had Prodigy brake system installed) weigh the tongue on the 400, dry. Using two different scales at two different shops, the 400 came in at 325-340#. Seemed light to me, but...there you go. 

That said, I felt the '19 Volvo XC60 T6 I had purchased two months prior (w/o an intent at that point to buy an RV) was going to me overtaxed significantly. I did tow the 400 with the Volvo (granted not identical to your TV, but in the ballpark) and while it was capable, it was dry with no gear in the TV. Not worth pushing my luck. And I'd venture to say not worth pushing yours, given the numbers kicked around here. 

As a wise man said, that and $5 will get you a latte at Starbucks!  :)  
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop