Options

Cannot change power sources or find a good "How to"...

Purchased a new T@B 400 two weeks ago. It is early 2019. We went on one overnight and ran off 30amp. 
There is a solar panel that only charges the single battery. I did not try to run on propane.
Here is my question: When I disconnect from shore power, I cannot figure out how to run on battery power. All lights, control panels, etc. are dark. The solar readout still appears to be working. 
Where do I find information on how to switch to battery power and propane. Also, how to run my systems safely and efficiently without just hoping I am doing it correctly. 
HELP!!  I need a tutorial!!

Thank You.
Todd Spaddy

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    Welcome to the Forums.....

In the owner's manual section of the group,  owner Awca12a posted comprehensive "unofficial owner's manual" for a 2019 Tab 400.  Look under Tab 400 User's Guide.  There is also an edited standard owner's manual.

Good luck!  Don't hesitate to ask questions.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited June 2019
    @Spaddy, is your battery switch next to the battery turned on?  Is the circuit breaker next to the battery tripped?  To run on battery, make sure you disconnect ac power.

To turn on LPG, open the LPG tank slowly all the way.  Then turn on your Alde and at the “flame” icon, select “yes”.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SpaddySpaddy Member Posts: 5
    Thank You. I will go through the steps again. I have read and re-read the "tea-leaves"... I have also called the dealer to bring the T@B by for another walkthrough to see what I am missing. No tripped breakers at the battery or in the panel. Thank you.
  • Options
    With all the in-depth tutorials and discussions, It was wishful thinking that I would be pointed toward a video "how-to" of this specific task.  Now I know what my first contribution will be. 

As a side note, I am beyond thrilled to be here! My wife and I live outside Seattle. I am currently planning a 14-day road trip for my 15-year-old son and I. We are going to do a loop through Idaho and Montana and perhaps loop back through the Oregon Coast.

• Options
    @Spaddy, when off shore power, if you have a 12 v voltmeter, plug it in to see your battery state of charge.  
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @Spaddy, the 12V (battery) and 120V (shore power) systems don’t need to be switched manually - the converter will basically do that for you.  

So what’s happening is power is not getting from your battery to your T@B.  Either

1) your battery is dead and can’t send power 
    2) your battery disconnect switch is turned to off
    3) a fuse has blown or come loose so the power isn’t getting sent to the distribution panel (did you check the fuse on the positive lead on the battery?)
    4) you’ve got converter problems

the first 3 are a quick check that may save you a trip to the dealer, the 4th you should let them fix under warranty
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Spaddy, when you bought your T@B, did they give you a USB memory stick with a PDF copy of the T@B manual?
    What did you find after checking the battery cutoff switch & fuse(s)?
    The search feature of this forum can be a big help to find just about any info you need.
    Hope you will be able to spend enough time to learn all your T@B's systems before that big trip.  Small trips like you did are a great way to learn, and of course the manual & this forum.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Spaddy welcome to the Tab family! If you’re traveling through Spokane be sure to let the SpoTab group know. We’d love to meet you both! We meet the second Saturday of each month at Perkins off Division. We are also known to meet up for an impromptu bbq or potluck when we can. Your trip sounds amazing and your son will never forget it. What a special gift!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @Spaddy The west side of the Cascades also has a monthly breakfast, typically the first Sunday of the month in Edmonds. Holler if you want details. Both sides camp together at the East Meets West event in Wenatchee in the spring, organized by the lovely @Homebodyatheart. You’ve got plenty of possibilities for new T@b friends in the local area!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sorry... been away from the Forum for a few days. Thank you all for the check-ins and check-backs. I feel well taken care of and looked out for. 
    Yes, a couple smaller trips before the big road trip. Next weekent to Vancouver WA for a soccer tournament. 
    I did visit my dealer and he gave me some other Ideas to brainstorm before pulling the T@B out of storage and back in for a "looksee"... I started back a ground-zero and found the issue right away. --I am a bit embarrassed, but this is something I checked the first time around, but must have missed it. 
    It was the button at the battery turn off switch (the little breaker) once I pressed that down, all was as it should be!!

I knew I checked it, but I should have double-checked.

Now I am just stocking items and figuring out the systems. 
    I will post about our trip soon. Plans are coming together nicely. My boy is very excited. 

Love the idea of the T@B meet-ups both East and West. My Wife and I will surely need to find out more about them and mark the dates on the calendar.

Once again, Thanks for the feedback. After countless hours online, I am starting to grasp the systems. Can't wait to get on the road!

Spaddy
  • Options
    @Spaddy, there is a learning curve.  You’ll get there.  You have the single battery that will give you issues if you discharge it too low.  If that happens, and you try to recharge it, that circuit breaker will trip again.  So, remember to have a smart charger available and use that to recharge if your battery is very low.