Rubber trim came off

This weekend a section of the rubber trim that joins up to the plastic trim came loose while on the road.  Got out my small stepstool & was going to put on Duct tape to keep it on till I got home-- but was too short to reach top of trailer so I gently pulled it off so I wouldn't lose it & it wouldn't beat up the side of the trailer. I have some shoe goo & see several others have used it.  Do I clean the area with rubbing alcohol first?  Do I just put the glue in the channel in the rubber trim & press it back on or do I need to also put glue on the flat underside of the rubber trim & press onto the trailer roof?  I'm going to go around the entire rubber trim & reattach all of the rubber trim.  Thanks for your ideas & suggestions!

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Totally ornamental, just glue in the grooves and push back on the trim.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Shoe Goo has been the adhesive choice many years. I have never needed it but keep some with me because so many T@bbers have recommended it for just this use.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    What do you all suggest for cleaning the area up before regluing?  I was thinking rubbing alcohol?

Woohoo!
    lkc001 said:
    What do you all suggest for cleaning the area up before regluing?  I was thinking rubbing alcohol?

Goo gone

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Goo Gone is great.  However, it does leave a rather "oily" residue after the glue (goo) is gone.  Use soap and water to completely remove that oily residue.
    Any tips on how to apply the shoe goo neatly into the little channel in the rubber trim? The opening in the tube is pretty large-- or how to clean it up after pushing the trim back on?  Would like it to be neat if at all possible.
    Woohoo!
    Applying Shoe Goo ( or Amazing goop--same stuff) neatly is quite a trick.  I have never mastered that.  Most packages come with a nozzle that can be trimmed to allow the size of application hole you deem best.  Fortunately, the partially cured goop can be peeled off in many cases.  You can use a box cutter or razor blade knife to Carefully cut through a neat line and peel the waste away.

@falcon1970   Thanks for the tip about letting it partially cure & cutting it off.  My tube of goo didn't come with extra nozzles, so I was thinking of using either qtips or a teeny tiny craft spatula to get the goo in the channel.  
    Woohoo!
    @lkc001
    I haven't seen any Shoe Goo in awhile.  At one point they changed the packaging and called it Amazing Goop.  They had different color packages for "Plumber's goop", "Electrician's Goop", "mechanic's Goop", and so forth.  It was all the same stuff though--just different marketing.  That is when they started adding the nozzle to the package.  Lowe's, Home Depot, and probably most hardware stores carry it.  Be aware that it doesn't keep well after the end of the tube has been pierced.  No matter how I have tried to reseal it, it sets up in the tube within a month or two.  If you let the tube lay out on a hot driveway for a couple of hours before you use it the goop will be less viscous and easier to apply.
    Amazon has it!

I got my shoe goo from Amazon
    Woohoo!