Options

2020 Tab 400 table issue - resolved

ArizonayetiArizonayeti Member Posts: 26
edited September 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
This past weekend we spend our first full weekend in our new 400.  Aside from not yet having the new a/c working...yet, we found another issue.  We decided to make the table into a couch but ran into a bit of an issue. The table doesn't fit between the two benches as it is a bit too wide at the wall end by about 1/2 inch.  Also, the driver's side latch doesn't line up with the rail on the wall.  So, I noted that the table was darn heavy, and looking underneath it appears we have the old 2019 wood laminate table. Can anybody verify their 2020 table is different than ours?  Thanks.

2020 T@B 400 BL w/solar.  TV 2018 4Runner w/ Fox 2" lift. 

Comments

• Options
    BigShowSkipperBigShowSkipper Member Posts: 19
    Same here. 

Our ur solution was to slide the table under the lip and not attach to rail. 

I forgot got to bring this up with my dealer so thank you. 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    At UCamp19 I was looking at the 2020 400 on display at the factory and noticed that the table was NOT the vaunted newer, lighter table.  The nuCamp rep told me that they had had a supply problem with the new table and were using the older tables in the meantime.  I heard nothing about any changes made to either the table or the benches on either side which would keep the table from fitting onto the lower rail.
    A call to nuCamp might be in order to determine just what the real situation is--and of course a report here afterwards.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    This was discussed previously on this forum or in one of the FB groups. My understanding is NuCamp is aware and replacement tables will be coming to any 2020's with this issue.

Definitely contact your dealer for the factory fix.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    CaschettaCaschetta Member Posts: 12
    Our 2020 400, also on our first trip, also with AC issue, does have the same heavy table (as shown in your pics) but ours fits, luckily I guess. It's pretty awkward putting it up and down (our 11 year old slept on it) but it seems to be okay. 
  • Options
    lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    The laminated table is a bit heavy but it seems to fit between the bench seats on our 2020 Tab 400 BDL.

Lee & Paula Schleining
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    2020 Tab 400 BDL
    2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewcab

• Options
    k4mank4man Member Posts: 14
    We have a 3-week-old 2020 T@b 400 Boondock and the table fits as a bed, BUT it's heavy as can be and I really loath making it into a bed. It's awkward and a pain in the you-know-what. I have been researching all night, in fact, how to modify it because I really don't care for that table, like, at all!!!
    2020 T@b 400 Boondock
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX 460
  • Options
    We received the new 2020 table and it fits just fine.  Actually, it is lighter weight compared to the solid table from 2019. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Any photos of the new table?
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    edited February 2020
    Hi All. I am interested in a lighter weight Table too. I have a 2020 400. The table is NOT light. Am I getting from this discussion that there is a lighter weight option available for the 400s?

2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I made a tabletop from a recycled cherry veneer table top I purchased from ReStore. I cut the top to shape applied some pictures from our travels with the 400 and sealed it with self leveling epoxy. The top is 1” thick compared to the original 1.5” thick top. So the table is somewhat lighter. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Very cool @DenisP! Wish I had woodworking skills. Any chance I could hire you to make me one?  ;)
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I appreciate the praise but the table is probably a one off. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Understood.  :)

Anyone have pics of the factory lighter-weight table for the 400s? I hadn't heard of it's existence except in this thread.
  • Options
    treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    @Amazonica It is identical to the earlier table. I'm guessing it's built like a hollow core interior door, just stronger. There is a partial picture in the 2021 400 sighting thread. You can't see a difference between them by looking.
  • Options
    Gotcha - thank you @treefrog.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    DenisP said:
    I made a tabletop from a recycled cherry veneer table top I purchased from ReStore. I cut the top to shape applied some pictures from our travels with the 400 and sealed it with self leveling epoxy. The top is 1” thick compared to the original 1.5” thick top. So the table is somewhat lighter. 
    Brilliant idea, @DenisP !  Now I’m going to start shopping ReStore and Goodwill for a table.
  • Options
    @Amazonica I had a very early build 2020 and had a 2019 table installed at the factory. They made some changes to the distance between the two benches for 2020 and when I dropped down the 2019 table to make a bed, it wouldn't fit.  The 2019 table was, I believe, solid wood and heavy. I eventually got a 2020 table and it was lighter as it is a hollow core. So, I'm assuming you already have the "lighter" hollow core table in your 2020. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The previous tables on the TaB400 were hardwood MDF furniture core board, which is dense and heavy, more so than plywood the same thickness.  It looks to be two 3/4 panels bonded together then covered in the white laminate.  This table is bulletproof and heavy, but is will not warp, and stays dead flat, which is why NuCamp probably chose to use it.  It also mills well and can be cut quite easily on a CNC router cutler, which NuCamp uses.

The same stuff is used on Danish type dining tables, covered with a thick hardwood vernier, teak was a favorite.  A single 3/4 layer would have worked with a partial second strip down the middle to stiffen it up for bed duty.

I am going to make a new, lighter table also, not sure what I am going to use, but it will be lighter.  Thinking of glueing up some nice furniture grade Mahogany panels on the side with an Oak stringer down the middle.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
     :o@Arizonayeti my 2020 table is the 'light' one?? Holy cow! Luckily I don't move it much.
    Thank you for the info. 

I don't think I'll ever use mine for bed duty, but I do clip a heavy laptop arm to it for work. My lighter replacement would need to be stout enough for that.