Options

New battery not charging

Hello: We recently purchased a used 2007 TAB. I replaced the old battery within the last two months. On our first trip, after camping a day, the battery ran down. It would not charge back up with either the solar panel or with the shore cord. Is it accurate to assume the converter is not working? Can being hooked up to the truck charge the battery while plugging it in to a 110 outlet or solar panel not work? I've checked all the fuses and the appear intact. The breakers are on. I'd appreciate any direction on how to fix the problem. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    Welcome to the Forums. 

Did anything 12v work inside the trailer?  Is there a battery switch?  Have you tried attaching your panel directly to the battery with alligator clips to see if it would directly charge?

The early Tab's had an unusual fuse, which you can find in this thread, along with some other Dutchman Tab resources:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Yes, check the fuse as @pthomas745 directed.  Charging the TaB battery while hooked up to the truck while towing will occur IF you have a charge line as part of your 7 pin.  Also, if you do not have a TV battery isolation relay, your charge line will remain live when the TV ignition is off and it will drain your TV battery.    
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    How do you know if you have charge line and/or battery isolation? in your cord?

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Easiest way is to use a 7-pin tester (pretty inexpensive). Plug it into the TV receptacle and there are indicator lights for all the functions. On my TV, as soon as I plugged it in the 12V light came on indicating that I have a charge line, and it is always-on. If you get no lights, turn the key and if the 12V indicator comes on, you have a switched line; if still no 12V light you probably don't have a charge line.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    With the 7 pin connected to your TaB,  isolate the battery (remove your battery fuse), start your TV, then turn on a light in the TaB. If the light comes on, you have a charge line. Turn off your TV. If the light goes out, you have an isolation relay in the TV. If the light stays on, no isolation relay.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Rubine1 said:
    Hello: We recently purchased a used 2007 TAB. I replaced the old battery within the last two months. On our first trip, after camping a day, the battery ran down. It would not charge back up with either the solar panel or with the shore cord. Is it accurate to assume the converter is not working? Can being hooked up to the truck charge the battery while plugging it in to a 110 outlet or solar panel not work? I've checked all the fuses and the appear intact. The breakers are on. I'd appreciate any direction on how to fix the problem. Thanks
    Yes, it is possible that the converter is not working.
    Please check the fuse as mentioned above and also the wayer.level in your battery. If those are both OK, the easiest way is to check voltage when connected to shore power. If you are not getting a reading  around 13.6, there is a good chance you have an issue with your converter. The challenge, will be, however, if your battery is so dead that you cannot get. That type of voltage out of it. You might need to first try to revive it with a smart battery charger.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Rubine1Rubine1 Member Posts: 17
    Thank you all for you suggestions. I clearly have a learning curve here. I will start with hooking up the solar panel directly to the battery to see if I can get a direct charge. I do have a 7 pin connector and it has charged the battery while driving. I did drain the battery to 0 while running the fridge, fan and lights at the same time. It was after running the battery down and connecting to 110 shore line that I discovered the problem. I will also check the fuse particular to an older TAB and the link above. Also, being completely new to trailers, does TV mean "towing vehicle"?
  • Options
    Yes, in the context of discussing batteries and charging, generally TV means tow vehicle.
  • Options
    Rubine1Rubine1 Member Posts: 17
    Since my Tab was made by Dutchman I'd like to replace the "Dutchman T@B Fuse" that's supposedly is on the red line from the battery to the converter. I can't seem to find it. Anyone have any suggestions where to look? I can see there is a junction box under the trailer where the lines from the battery go and re -emerge in conduit. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 2019

This info was in the thread link noted above.  It says it is somewhere on the tongue.

Dutchman (DM) T@B Fuse between the battery and converter

The DM T@B's do not have a fuse right at the battery like the nüCamp T@B's. This "shortstop" 30Amp fuse is screwed into the tongue. Trace the red (positive) lead from the battery and you will find it. The fuse can be found at various auto parts stores. 

Symptoms will be a fully charged battery, but the lights and other 12V accessories won't work on your T@B battery. Replace this fuse and it should work, unless there are other problems, too. 
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    I can't be sure how the solar panel is wired but I can't imagine it in any way involves the converter.