Options

New Owner of TaB

wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
Hi all.  We just bought our first trailer...2017 Tab 320.  Picking it up on Saturday.  I'm looking for any and all suggestions for the best experience for maintaining the camper and safely traveling.  Initial trips will be less that 200 miles each way.  I've always been a tent camper and this helps get the wife along with me since she loves the outdoors but doesn't like to sleep in a tent.  Really looking forward to our first trips...Thanks all!!!
2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• Options
    greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    Congratulations and welcome! You will love it. Easy to tow and handle. Have fun!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited July 2019
    @wooper, tips for safe towing-

1. Tow level. If you're not sure, hook-up the trailer and put a level on the frame. If you can't quite get level, it is always better to tow tongue down. Place the major load in the front of the trailer. Both of those suggestions will help eliminate sway, or the slightly "loose" feeling of the trailer.

Update your signature line to include your tow vehicle and trailer make, model and type. That way, members can answer your questions quickly and accurately and make reasonable assessments when helping troubleshoot. Many of us also include our  home base geographic location, in case a nearby member can help the situation in person.

Good luck, great adventures and safe journeys to you. Welcome and congratulations on your trailer!  -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Use the search function and look for wheel bearings, wheel well caulking, window seals, tire maintenance.  That will start you off for maintenance info.

Search for tongue weight, GVWR, payload.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    When we hook up the camper my wife and I always double check each other.  Windows, chains, brake controller, emergency brake cord, lights, exhaust fan, gas off, doors locked, etc. , etc.  We have a reference list for site arrival.   Checking each other has on occasion saved up problems later.  You'll love your camper!
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    edited August 2019
    Don't go crazy buying new stuff you might not need.  We chose to use what we were using when we tent camped.  We just leave those items in the camper.  No coffee maker (our little blue one cup funnel that holds a filter works fine), no toaster, etc.  We still use our camp stove and use the inside stove only if we need to.  

Keep it simple - and fun!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    best suggestion:   read the owners manual.  read a lot about RV and trailer.  and lastly:  have fun!
  • Options
    SomewherelseSomewherelse Member Posts: 7
    Always always make sure your stabilizers are UP before hooking up to your vehicle.  This will prevent you from accidentally pulling off with stabilizers down. A newbie mistake that happens more than you know. 
    2020 T@B 320-S Boondock lite w/solar, 6000btu Air8 system under bed
    Fantastic fan upgrade to 7350
    1 12V Grp 27 deep cycle battery (don't want to fool with mod needed to have 2 6V AGM)
    Honda EU2200i generator and companion
    TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ tow package (6200lbs)

• Options
    LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    Congratulations! This forum and it’s users is a remarkable resource. My advice: things will break, trips will go awry....but it’s all fixable and part of the adventure. Expect the unexpected, both good and challenging. Checklists have been instrumental and time-saving for me.
    E N J O Y !
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    2016 T@B 320 S Outback ("Scout")
    TV: 2013 Lexus 450h
    "You never know when you're having good luck." ~ Unknown
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    When hitching up, remember to remove the front jockey wheel from the tongue mount, rather than just raising it as high as possible. (On our second trip I forgot this.)  The wheel can hit the pavement on a bump, resulting in a bent tube. 
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    ckjs said:
    When hitching up, remember to remove the front jockey wheel from the tongue mount, rather than just raising it as high as possible. (On our second trip I forgot this.)  The wheel can hit the pavement on a bump, resulting in a bent tube. 
    I haven't done that - lately!

Thinking about installing the Jack-e-up jack removal system.  Will help with clearance on rough roads.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Check out the section of this forum for "User Manuals/PDF Files" located on the left side.  Fuses for Newbies should be helpful.  Also insure your tow vehicle lug wrench works with the T@B lug nuts (most don't).  You will learn at least five new things about your trailer each trip.  Most importantly, just have fun.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.