Options

Funny tasting water

We have a 2018 Boondock 320. When I hook up water with proper hose we get a strange taste to the water. Do I need to let water run for awhile?Does it run through the holding tank? I've tried different water sources.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited July 2019
    Personally I never drink the water out of the holding tank.   Bottled water or jugs from home.

I just don't trust the water system and not worth getting sick over it.  Showering dishes and toilet flushing is what I use the tank for
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I drink out of mine all the time.
    What kind of hose are you using?  There are hoses designed for fresh water.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Fishman, the city water connection that you use to hook your hose provides water directly to your plumbing system.  The fresh water tank is separate and requires filling via the driver’s side port.  Have you sanitized your fresh tank and plumbing system?  If so, then flush it through and see if it improves.  Always use a filter when adding water to your TaB beyond your house.

If you have not sanitized, here are the instructions.  Best to do it with a sewer hook up.

1.  Bypass your Alde to prevent bleach from dwelling in the Alde tank.  To do this, open the Alde bypass valve and close the hot and cold water supply valves.  

2.  Close your gray tank valve to prevent sewer gases from coming into the T@B.

3.  Mix 1/4 cup of bleach with a gallon of water and pour the mix into the fresh water tank. Then fill the fresh water tank with water using the hose with adapter.

4.  Open one tap at a time, run the water until you smell bleach, then close the tap. Do this for each tap in your sinks and showers. This assures that bleach enters your plumbing lines. Turn off your pump.

5.  Let the bleach water dwell for several hours.

6.  Next, open your gray tank valve, turn on the water pump, open all your taps and empty your fresh tank.

7.  Fill your fresh tank again, open all your taps and run the water until empty and no further smell of bleach.

8.  Repeat step 7 until you are satisfied that all bleach odor has been removed.

9.  Close your gray tank valve and close the Alde bypass valve and open the hot and cold water supply valves. Your valves are now back to camping season mode.

10.   Turn off your water pump if you choose to return to a city water connection.

11.  Now that the bypass valve is closed, the Alde water tank can be filled. The easiest way is to hook the
    hose up to the T@B city water connection - remember to use the pressure regulator. Open any hot water tap and let it run. This will allow water to enter the Alde water tank. The tap will sputter until the air from the Alde tank is eliminated. Once the sputtering stops, the Alde water tank is full. Close the tap.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/dl/qfgpl3lmyfbz.pdf

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Member Posts: 15
    I have a a fresh water hose and am not using the fresh water tank. I'll try cleaning the system.
    Thanks for your help. 
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Is your hose a potable water hose?   Is it white or some other color?
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited July 2019
    You may still want to sanitize the fresh tank and the entire plumbing system.  And, don’t forget to return your valves to their original position.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    If your hose is not white, it's not a potable water hose.  It will taste different.  I think all of us over 30 years old have drank out of a garden hose.  What kind of filter are you using?  If you've used one in the past and stored it away in a dark compartment for some time it probably has grown something in it.  We run all of our drinking/ consumable water, home included, through our Berkey filter.  We never leave home without it.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    GatorEgg said:
    If your hose is not white, it's not a potable water hose.  It will taste different.  I think all of us over 30 years old have drank out of a garden hose.  What kind of filter are you using?  If you've used one in the past and stored it away in a dark compartment for some time it probably has grown something in it.  We run all of our drinking/ consumable water, home included, through our Berkey filter.  We never leave home without it.
    Potable water hoses can also be blue.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    grubbster said:
    GatorEgg said:
    Potable water hoses can also be blue.
    Thanks.  Good to know.  I know the standard marking for potable water is blue, I've never seen a blue hose.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have a blue one, also, two, in fact—25’ and 50’.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I fill my tank from home using my white clean water hose and blue in line filter-when I use faucet in sink I refilter again into a small brita which I use to fill quart water bottles to use for cooking or to make my coffee or iced tea-I have not yet cleaned out my fresh water tank but will probably do so late this fall-hoping to take a fall camping trip

• Options
    mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    This is good to know.  I only used my filter once for a month but after sitting in the Tab during storage, and during hot months, maybe something has "grown" in the filter.  I assumed it would dry out but my water from the city water line smells awful.  I'll probably just get a new white hose and filter.  I find that that if you use a white hose for a season, look down into it and you'll see its black!  Yuk.  Any time it just sits full of water in the hot sun, things certainly grow.