ADD a 3rd BRAKE LIGHT

{ have searched and can't find any 3rd stop/brake light posts }

Issue:
Have never liked the “old school” combined Turn/Stop Light system used on NA Trailers. Replacing the single red light on each side with a two or tricolor has several complications since the rear plastic molding is designed for a single 4-inch round Red Light Assembly. As a compromise I'm working on adding a 3rd Brake/Stop light above the license plate (about same center line as Left/Right lights). Drivers understand a 3rd, center, braking light so adding one might help with the “ is that a turn signal or braking” indication . . . . .

Plan:
Have purchased an LED Strip Brake Light and Curt 2-to-3 Convertor**. Did research making one myself then found the Curt unit at an OK price at Home Depot of all places. Will splice the Curt black box into the trailer wiring in the Driver Wheel Well Cabinet and run wires to the new Light.

** Converts combined Turn/Stop to Left, Right, Stop separate Voltages

Question:
For a 320S. Has anyone routed wires from the License Plate area to the Alde Tank area?
Did you have any issues or surprises ?
= = =

Early investigation finding:
+ Curved Rear Plastic that holds tail lights is the TaB wall . . . there is no Azdel or wood material behind most of it. There is a ¼ inch or so insulation pad. {Now I understand why morning sunlight makes the rear shelf area glow red (unit is Red Trimmed) }
+ there is a foam board shelf below the rear storage area and above the Alde Convectors that is taped to the insulation pad.
+ Big picture hope/plan is to route from a drilled hole above the license plate to the Driver Side. Just not sure how the insulation pad and foam board shelf might impact.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2019
    @MuttonChops, My sentiments exactly. Felt as though I needed more rear visibility.  

The wires for the tail/stop/license lights run across from driver to passenger lights right behind the plastic rear cover. I removed the license light to access the wiring, drilled the hole for the third brake light and fished the wiring through.  This is on an '04 DM T@B - so construction is different, this has a plywood wall behind the plastic rear cover. Installed the logic unit inside drivers side light cowling.  Swapped out the original tail lights for LED units.  
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    That looks great, Bob!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Center 3rd LED Brake Light Installed

No issues or surprises with the installation.
    Question:

For a 320S. Has anyone routed wires from the License Plate area to the Alde Tank area?
    Did you have any issues or surprises ?
    = = =

No one commented on how to route the wires on a 320S.  Method used was:

-+-  Drill Mounting Hole for LED light {5/8 inch dia}
     -+-  Run Cable Snake from mounting hole to behind Left Tail Light,
              Between T@B Plastic shell and Insulation Barrier
     -+-  Cut Insulation Barrier at rear of Alde Tank space, grope around until Snake found.
     -+-  Replaced Snake with guide strings; ran wire from mounting hole to below Alde tank for
             ground (tapped at Left rear Side Maker Ground) and to Driver Wheel Well for +12V to
             Light (used wire race in Alde space)

Was surprised the Curt Convertor is not solid state, it uses a relay.  Can hear on attached video . . . that I can not upload . . .

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Do all Tabs have the three marker lights on the rear roof? I wonder how hard it would be to wire those as a "HMSL" aka 3rd brake light? I have a 2005 Wells Cargo trailer that has LED lights and wires that way, i think there was an extra black box that allowed that magic.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited August 2019
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Do all Tabs have the three marker lights on the rear roof?
    ? ? ? Do any T@B have three marker lights on the rear roof ? ? ?
    Have never seen what you are referencing.

So 400's do have the extra clearance lights,
    guess since I consider a 400 way too big for my needs
    have never looked that closely
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I believe I have only seen the three lights on the rear of the T@B 400’s, above the rear window. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @MuttonChops all the 400's have those lights BUT I don't know about other models thus my comment. On a 400 wiring those lights to also act as a 3rd brake light would be a clean mod.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    rfuss928 said:
    I added a high mounted "third brake light" to my CS.
    The factory wiring is in the left upper cabinet where it exits to the hatch.  I ran the new wiring in the upper corner of the top cabinet to the center location.
    \This unit is marker, stop and signal lights combined.

I also added a LED element to the brake/signal circuit of the old style CS taillights.

Its all about increasing visibility!
    Lots of reflective tape also.
    Travel safe and have fun.
    Bob
    Bob, I am working on adding a 3rd brake light on my 2007 T@B clamshell, and was wondering how you wired it. I bought a LED light that is the same as yours  (marker, stop, and signal) Can you provide more details on how you wired it? What wire tapped into what on the 4-pin wiring?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    Mouseketab
    Carol,  The four wires you need are the same four that exit the upper cabinet and enter the hatch in the upper left corner for the tail light wiring.  I made the splices in the wires inside the cabinet before they pass through to the hatch.  I don't recall if the colors matched the new lights wires.  I ran the wires to the center along the inside top edge of the cabinet concealed in a piece of small wire molding.

rfuss928 said:
    Mouseketab
    Carol,  The four wires you need are the same four that exit the upper cabinet and enter the hatch in the upper left corner for the tail light wiring.  I made the splices in the wires inside the cabinet before they pass through to the hatch.  I don't recall if the colors matched the new lights wires.  I ran the wires to the center along the inside top edge of the cabinet concealed in a piece of small wire molding.

Thanks!! I realize now that you used a 4-wire light. I had a 3-wire light, and have subsequently found a 4-wire light and swapped it out with Amazon. Easy peasy now :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
    rfuss928 said:
    I added a high mounted "third brake light" to my CS.
    The factory wiring is in the left upper cabinet where it exits to the hatch.  I ran the new wiring in the upper corner of the top cabinet to the center location.
    \This unit is marker, stop and signal lights combined.

Travel safe and have fun.
    Bob
    @rfuss928 , another question about your third brake light installation. What is the actual bracket/trim you mounted it on. Did you fabricate that, or did you find something?
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    Mouseketab
    I fabricated it out of aluminum flashing with a few simple folds.  A cereal box cardboard prototype helped me get the details right.  The aluminum folds nearly as easily.  
    Have fun...
    Bob

rfuss928 said:
    Mouseketab
    I fabricated it out of aluminum flashing with a few simple folds.  A cereal box cardboard prototype helped me get the details right.  The aluminum folds nearly as easily.  
    Have fun...
    Bob
    I was afraid you were going to say that :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL