Options

400 Front Window Warping & Marring - Replacement Available - see drodabaugh 9/2 and 9/10 posts

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Yeah!  Now you can do at least 60, Verna😁
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Dalehelman my TV is a full size Dodge Ram 4x4 with a utility bed (replaced the stock bed).

2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Isn't that a good surprise. They did the same for us when I let them know that the (out of warranty) battery/propane rack was rusting out of control.
    deek312 said:
    Just got an email from nuCamp that they are sending me a new window. Even though I was hopeful that they would help me I wasn't expecting it. As I stated earlier, I bought used and had no warranty. This really goes to show just how much they stand behind their product. I am so, so impressed and thankful!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    @Verna, nice cap. I am getting my front window replaced next Tuesday. I have been waiting two months and come to find out the replacement was delivered 6/28. I contacted NuCamp and Emily working with the window manufacturer tracked the window down.  I continue to be incredibly impressed with NuCamp and their quality and support. One of the best decisions I have made. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited August 2019
    So are the replacements a redesign or simply thicker?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    deek312deek312 Member Posts: 23
    So are the replacements a redesign or simply thicker?
    I don't know that it's going to be either. Might be the same window. I was afraid to ask - didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth ya know?
    Derek - Bloomsdale, MO - 2018 T@B 400 - 2018 GMC Sierra / 2017 Toyota 4-Runner
  • Options
    KSenningKSenning Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, we have a late model 2018 400 we bought new in May of 2019. We just completed an 8 night 1100 mile trip and have now noticed the marring. We tow with a GMC Canyon with tonneau cover. We have sent an email as suggested by Verna and are awaiting a response. Also curious if this is normal procedure for NuCamp but we sent in a few things we noticed with pictures to the warranty department and were told to take the trailer to a dealer to be analyzed. We have the black trim that has cracked in a few places and a couple of other small things but we were surprised by the response. We absolutely love our trailer but dealer is quite far and my husband is able to fix most things so we had hoped they would send us the replacement pieces. Sorry if this is long! First trailer after being long time tent campers! 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited June 2021
    @KSenning, did you mention the distance to your TaB dealer and that you wish to DIY?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you for suggesting this we can certainly reach out again!
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    We had the same issue on our 2018 400 built in Feb. of that year.  We aren't certain when it maring occurred but we contacted nüCamp in June and recieved a replacement window from the manufacturer.  We towed with a 2015 Ford Explorer for a little over a year and, as of May, we have towed with a F150 with tonneau cover.  Our highway speeds are kept between 60 - 65 mph. We towed about 8,000 mi. with the Explorer and another 4,000 with the F150.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @drodabaugh, that's great to hear. Although I have a 320 style t@b and am not affected, I have wondered how this would be handled and how those suffering the consequences of this situation would be made right. Thanks for owning the problem and posting directly on the forum.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    SactoSteveSactoSteve Member Posts: 32
    We had, perhaps, a different problem with our T@B400 front window.  While opening it, it popped out of the track and snapped a plastic part on one of the struts. We couldn't figure out how to get it to reattach but managed to "hang" it on the track and get the latches closed and it got us home.  After removal we noticed a bow in the entire window.  Factor said they had never seen that but were most accommodating and quickly got a replacement window to us at no charge.  db_cooper posted on a different thread information on installing the window.

db_cooper said:
    It's easy once you see what's going on.  I'm traveling so don't have time this week for pictures.  Basically open window high enough to see one screw on right side of rail.  Remove screw and slide window, rail and all to the right to remove.  Trick to putting window back on is holding it open while sliding rail back into track.  Have to be careful to avoid scratching the camper.
    These instructions are correct but I missed a key element at first "slide window, rail and all "  The replacement window must be set into the removed rail and then "slide window, rail and all" as one unit into the track. And, yeah, a bit tricky clearing the plastic trim while starting the reinsertion.

-Steve
    -steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Wow. That's a responsive company. Nice ending.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    Just to add to the installation instructions, we took off a portion of the driver's side plastic trim to accommodate sliding the window in and out, per advise from Austin at nüCamp.  Our window barely cleared the camper much less the trim.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @drodabaugh, I have over 15,000 miles on my 2019 T@B 400 in the past 14 months. It was manufactured in June 2018, received by me in July 2018. 

I just triple checked and I do not have any of the damage as seen in the photos on this thread.  

How can we T@B 400 owners tell if our front windows will develope the damage?  Is there a certain timeframe of when the windows started having problems and is it likely that myself and others will not have any damage?  

Thanks for your help with the window issue as it is great that window manufacturer is helping with the replacement of these windows. 

Verna
    T@B Admin
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725

This is Dan, I'm with the window manufacturer Plastoform.  We have investigated this issue and have determined the cause to be insufficient distance between the panes which, under certain driving conditions, allows the outer pane to come into contact with the inner pane resulting in contact marks between the panes.  During the manufacturing process of the TAB 400 front window compressed air is blown under the outer pane to "balloon" it to a specified arch.  An automated sighting system is used to regulate the air pressure, however, there was an error in the arch specification parameter during particular production batches.  This parameter was corrected some time ago, but a quantity of windows had already been shipped to NuCamp before we discovered the issue.

We will replace windows which have insufficient distance between the panes.  Replacement is pretty simple, but we suggest having 2 people to initially insert the window into the hinge channel due to the size of the window.

Feel free to contact NuCamp or us directly to seek resolution.  You can contact us directly at dan@transatlanticprod.com

Thanks,

Dan

drodabaugh 
    Dan,
    That's a class act by you and your company and you should be commended for such an excellent response to an issue. Wish everyone behaved that way!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    I received my new window yesterday. Might try to post some pictures or a video of the install. Hoping to do it this weekend.
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    Our front window fell off the T@B 400 BDL when I opened it at my campsite. We were able to get it back on the track and secure with window locks. Called NuCamp. They sent new brackets, however, I am not convinced that the window will not fall off again. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    Window arm
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options
    SactoSteveSactoSteve Member Posts: 32
    This sounds similar to our experience.  We layed the window on a flat surface and found that the top edge was bowed. The window factory said they had never seen that and replaced it. 

-steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
  • Options
    Our new window arrived today! All I can say is wow! What service! We sent an email to NuCamp asking about the issue and a few days later we received an email saying a new window was on the way. Thanks Dan and NuCamp. We love our T@b 400!
  • Options
    drodabaughdrodabaugh Member Posts: 2

Update - I have the production codes for windows that MAY be effected.  The production manager has stated that not all windows with these codes are effected.  It sounds like it is a difficult defect to track due to the production processes and multiple lines, but he is doing his best to nail it down.  We are also looking at producing a cost effective "template" that could be used to check the window arc as a pass/fail tool for customers.

Here's the codes.  It represents around 450 windows in total, but most of those were quarantined and destroyed once the defect was spotted.  Around 200 landed at NuCamp, but some were rejected at their site once the issue was spotted.  So the total number that got installed would be less than 200.  Of that 200 someare being replaced at the dealerships before being sold.  The number in the field is probably down to less than 100 at this time.

MJC

MJD

MJE

MJF

MJG

There is a sticker on all the windows which has the production code on it.

Thanks,

Dan

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have a late 2019 model tab 400 boondock. I tow with a Toyota Tundra. Done a few thousand miles with no evidence of front window problems.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @drodabaugh, for the serial numbers. I will check mine later in the daylight. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I did my window replacement over the weekend. I tried to do a video of the install but it was difficult. It was really all trial and error because there isn't much info out there for how to do it. Nonetheless, I will share the video and I still think it will be quite helpful to anyone needing to replace the window themselves.

See the video link here... 

https://youtu.be/_oTnX1pbBz8

Not sure how much "promotion" is allowed on the forum but my wife and I will be starting to share weekly videos on the channel. I won't go into the content. You can find out about that if you subscribe. Thanks!
  • Options
    WannaBeMiniWannaBeMini Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the video Derek.  I’m waiting for delivery of replacement window and this answered some questions.  Also a shout out to Dan at Plastoform for being so responsive. 
    Pat, Steve, Rowdy & Shadow
    2018 T@B 400 - "T@KO T@B"
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Excellent video and right on par with what nuCamp does while replacing the defective windows.   I spoke to Austin down at the repair shop and he said they basically do the same thing. He emphasized to use painters tape or something similar on the trailer surface so that the window does not damage the paint as you noted in your video. Thanks again for taking the time to put a video together as this is something that will help others and certainly makes it easier for those who want to undertake this project.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @deek312 Just an FYI--I hope you got some kind of glue or shoe goo or RV goo to put in the channel of that rubber trim every few inches & then pressed it back onto the plastic trim, because if it is not glued on it will come loose while you're traveling down the interstate at 65mph.  Ask me how I know this.  I was lucky that it only partially came off and I was able to save it before it came off the entire side of the trailer and went sailing away.  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!