Options

Axel and Tire Upgrade

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I picked up my T@b from the factory yesterday. In addition to warranty work, which I will hit on in other threads, I had them upgrade my tires to the Outback tires and install the axel used on the Outback model.

I am guessing it added 2-3" of clearance, overall. The next step will be to move the tire from below the T@b to the tongue.

I don't think there would be much room for a bigger tire.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    It looks fantastic. No wheel rub when towing?
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    With that extra height, did you need longer stabilizer jacks?
  • Options
    Rad said:
    It looks fantastic. No wheel rub when towing?

PXLated said:
    With that extra height, did you need longer stabilizer jacks?

No rub.

No changes in stabilizers seem to be required.

The step down from the door is a little more of a stretch but I am tall so it won't be an issue. It is just different, nit the completely natural distance it was before.

I am glad this can be accomplished without compromising the look of the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

=) Actually, let me retract the earlier comment about stabilizers.

I had done a quick leveling job yesterday and decided to fine tune it to run the a/c, today. The side with the BAL, which had to be raised was now too tall for the stabilizers to reach. I use plastic pads in addition to the pre-attached feet in the event the ground becomes too soft. To adjust for the gap, I stuck a Lego style leveling block on each if the stabilizers that was too tall and the the plastic pad on top of the Lego block. Problem solved.

• Options
    Even without the raised axle I've had to use blocks a few times. One time the pad was so unlevel I didn't have enough pads, had to find a couple or rocks. Joshua Tree's main south campground is that way. Even though they're paved they're extremely slopped.
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    How much the tire wheel axle cost if I may ask...
  • Options
    What did you do with the original axle ?
    Was there anything wrong with it ?
    Worth quite a bit on this forum for parts alone !!! Lol
  • Options

You know, I didn't ask about the old axel. Usually I do, but I guess I didn't have anything to haul it wth.

Parts plus labor came in under $800 for everything.

• Options
    Hope you enjoy...tell us how the extra clearance works for u
  • Options
    Let's see - For $800 I can replace my gray water valves nine more times ;-)
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Hmm...wonder if they could do that on my T@DA?  If so, I might just make it to Tearstock!  Looks great.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Interesting Jenn, thanks for the update.

How do you think the fender clearance will be for driving in snow?

Does the Outback axle have the same load rating?

I'm surprised it wasn't more expensive. Maybe they saw a value to the old axle and wheels.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I ordered my T@B with the Outback axle. I didn't think about changing the tires. Are the Outback tires still 14"? BTW they did not charge me any extra for the axle.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    jkjenn said:

I picked up my T@b from the factory yesterday. In addition to warranty work, which I will hit on in other threads, I had them upgrade my tires to the Outback tires and install the axel used on the Outback model.

I am guessing it added 2-3" of clearance, overall. The next step will be to move the tire from below the T@b to the tongue.

I don't think there would be much room for a bigger tire.

I'd been lurking in the forums for about a week or two (new to T@Bing, RVing too in fact and this is thread drew me in hook line and sinker - Thank you!)

We'd be interested in doing something like this to help ruggedize ours a bit and were wondering what size tires did yours go to and from? Did you have an older Dutchmen/Thor or a new LG T@B?

I hadn't noticed the Outb@ck have General Grabber AT2 (great tire that we have on our Volvo for winter/off-road duty) and would be great to have a matching set on the trailer. It would be even better if it were possible to fit the 255/50x18 size on our T@B and with a matching Volvo wheel to minimize the number of spares we carry (1 for T@B and will have 3 for our TV - standard donut under the XC90 and two full size spares on top). When they upgraded your axle did they have to lift it from the frame to accommodate a larger diameter tire?

Thanks so much for sharing... it's good to see how much is possible!
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    These are the Outback tires and the factory put them on when they upgraded the axel. They are 14" and I really don't think you could get 18" tires in there, but ask your deal to ask the factory when they build it. My T@b is an early 2015 model.

• Options
    Did it have an effect on the hitch / tongue level ? Any adjustment needed ?
  • Options
    You know Deltaboy, I am going to have to look more closely. I don't there was, but I do have an adjustable drop hitch which I change, if needed.

• Options
    thruhiker02thruhiker02 Member Posts: 3
    What model axle is it?  I noticed there is an AL-KO 500-2200lb top mount axle, which I think is the axle you are talking about.
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    This is my first post and we're new to the World of T@B and RVing.  =)

With the added diameter on the Grabber AT2 did they need to do anything when mounting the axle to the frame (spacers)? I had thought of doing something similar to our 2006 for added safety of towing on gravel highways. Actually seeing yours is exciting - I had no idea the Outback uses AT2 (great tire we have as a winter/overland tire on our TV). What are its dimensions? Although unlikely it would be even more awesome if they were 255/55x18 to match TV and especially if the bolt pattern matched our Volvo. It would make it easy to have one set of interchangeable spares.
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design