Options

Cover for Winter Storage

Our original plan was to get our T@B next spring which would have allowed us time to construct a carport or garage extension for winter storage, but since we decided to buy now we find ourselves with a camper and no way to protect it from the Northeast Ohio winter this year. 

We're considering a cover - perhaps the one from All Pro Adventures - but we've been warned that using a cover can cause moisture to stay trapped between it and the camper which can lead to various issues, and they can scratch up the paint even from whatever movement a strong wind would produce. 

We're still searching for indoor storage options, but in the event that doesn't pan out, are we better off with a cover, or just leaving everything exposed to the wind, ice, and snow of an Ohio winter? 
Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited August 2019
    I have the PahaQue, which is pretty form fitting. I've no issues with trapped moisture or scratching in four winters. I'd vote for cover vs. no cover, but admittedly I've never tried it without.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @jameskuzman, we have used the PahaQue cover for the past 3 winters. We are just 40 miles or so north of the Ohio border, in Michigan. We have not seen scratches or abrasions or wear on the trailer by doing so. But the cover does keep the airborne gunk (technical term in use there) off the trailer. We have nearby steel plants and chemical manufacturing going on, so I appreciate not having that residue on the trailer, window surfaces, tub and frame in the spring when we uncover it. YMMV.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I have the 400 cover from All Pro Adventures and I wasn't happy with it last winter. It's very tail-heavy, as most of the material is in the back, and is only secured by 4 flimsy straps underneath. There is nothing else that comes with it to secure it other than at the bottom and it's pretty loose as you can see. One of the straps tore off, and the others gave way and the whole thing slid to the ground behind the trailer in early November. It was stored at a commercial lot and I don't know how long it was uncovered and sitting in the snow. I chose not to put it back on for the reason that you mentioned with water and it sat outside uncovered until May when the snow season in the mountains was over. This year, I will add a tie-down strap over the top and through the bottom of the trailer to keep it in place. I hope that works.  It stays in place fine at my home in the summer, but when the winds come it will blow all over the place. I hope I don't break another strap. Looks too loose in the front, eh? 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD