Options

Don't Get It - Campground Etiquette

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
Three of the four campgrounds I've been in over the last three weeks have been fairly large (100-150 COE sites). In none of the three were there more than 20 campers so lots of wide open space. When I arrive, I usually scope out the sites and pick one that won't block someone else's view or squeeze then too tight. I'll always leave at least one site between us even if I get lessor of a view.
In all three cases, someone new arrived and squeezed right in next to me, in one case, right between me and another camper - I just don't get it, there's over 100 free sites to choose from and nope, gotta crowd right in. Today it was a family of five with a tent, now blocking my view and kids will be kids (noisy). It's windier than all get out so surprised they even showed up with a tent and really surprised they chose that site as there is absolutely no wind break fro the lake.

Crazy!

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Feel better? LOL.  Seriously, I've seen it happen, and it can ruin a trip.  If it weren't so much trouble, I'd make a big show of packing up and moving, but I'm usually not at a campsite long enough to bother.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It is Murphy's Law of Campgrounds.  Trust me, it happens to me, too.  How about me 3 spots away from anyone in a smaller campground.  A group of 8 huge Class A's came in, and of course, surrounded me.  There were other spots where they could have parked together.  The only good thing about them is they liked being outside and they were friendly.  They even had an evening meeting outside.  All adults, all retired, so it was OK....except the one next door blocked my warmth from the sun!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Not really venting, I just find it so amazing. In my mind it just doesn't compute. Disregarding the fact they're squeezing me (and others) you'd think they would want their own space.
    In the last campground these people drove around the campground twice. Three sites down from me was a site with a great view an no close neighbors yet after making the loop twice, they tucked in between me and the next guy. Weird.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    Things like that use to get to me, I roll with it better now.

On a similar note, I have noticed something that did not happen much years ago, campers cut through your camp site if you are between them and the restroom.  In Big Sur a few months ago our camp site ended up being the cut through for many groups.  I just said hello each time as they walked by me as I was barbecuing.
  • Options
    I roll ok but it just kills me, seems so stupid.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Maybe they are like me and reserved a specific site ahead of time?

Atwood us a COE site. I wont be back, except for Tearstock. The sites in the non group areas are right in top of each other and filled with permanent campers. I am camping in a trailer park. At least i had full hooks for dewinterizing.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Nope, wasn't reserved when I made my tour but I know what you're saying - One site I occupied had reserved tickets going out two weeks after I had it.
    Wind woke me up here at 1:30am and they're gone. Doesn't surprise me, that site has absolutely no wind break. Will be interesting to see how the other two tent campers did come morning - they are back further and have a few evergreens to cut the breeze a little so probably ok.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I can't recall the number of times while tent camping I had rv's snug up beside me when I had gone out of my way to get away from others. Same as parking way out in a parking lot and coming back to find someone right next to me.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    It must be human nature.  We also have a sailboat and like to anchor in sheltered coves.  It is interesting in an anchorage with room for fifty boats newcomers tend to want to anchor near other anchored boats rather than go to an empty spot in the cove.  Perhaps they think that I know something (about the bottom holding, for example) that they don't know.  It is also interesting in the boating community how annoying generators are becoming more common.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Human nature - Must be something along those lines, can't think of any other reason.
    Was blowing like crazy at 4:00am, woke up this morning to absolutely dead calm - almost spooky. Not a ripple on the lake or a leaf moving.
  • Options
    VindalouVindalou Member Posts: 6

I have been camping for years (pre-T@B and the last 3 years with the T@B) and this is the first year that this has happened to me - and it happened twice on my last trip (3 weeks mostly in Idaho).  One place, a family reunion taking up 3 camp spaces set up around me while I was out hiking.  I came back to my site with huge groups (3-4 cars per site, 1 RVs and 3-4 tents per site) on both sides and across the way - when the rest of the campground was completely empty. One woman stopped to chat as she walked from one site to the other between my T@B and my picnic table and told me she hoped they weren't bothering me. I told her I would leave in the morning and that they cut my stay short.  She looked a little embarrassed and said they always camp in those sites. At the other place, in a campground of 120 spaces and only 6 other campers, a family came to the site immediately next to me - so close that we could not open the doors of both cars at the same time. When I asked why this spot (not even a particularly great site) they said they always stay at that site.

I don't get it either.

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    It's a known issue.  Many refer to them as "clingers", folks that have/need to be close to someone.  Can be aggravating.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Vindaloo - Man, can't imagine getting surrounded by a group. Bad enough just being squeezed.
    TaBaker - Clingers I'm discovering are everywhere in campgrounds - Don't get them boondocking. I guess you need to be a little more independent to boondock.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2015
    Rad said:
    On a similar note, I have noticed something that did not happen much years ago, campers cut through your camp site if you are between them and the restroom. 
    That is irritating and is a sign of the way our society has regressed.  Many people today are just outright rude, lack social skills, are inconsiderate and obviously have not camped long enough, nor been told that when someone rents "a space" it is their private little spot in the campground.   I had kids zipping through my site on bikes in a park, and since my angry glare didn't seem to phase them I stopped them and politely told them I didn't appreciate them using my area as a moto-cross course, that I would appreciate it if they stayed out on the road while riding, as I'd rented the spot and really didn't appreciate them riding through my camp site.  

Another thing we did when to dissuade others from walking through our site (and violating our privacy while prepping/eating supper) while camping out in the Badlands NP, was to position our lawn chairs and table in a manner that blocked their shortcut.  This actually worked and the people using our site as a walk through had to now walk some additional distance to enter the bathroom/shower area.  

Face it, in today's self gratifying "anything goes" society people are going to take advantage of you anyway they can.  And unless you speak up and let them know that you don't appreciate, nor approve of their continued walk throughs and intrusions (and inconsiderate behavior) these types of actions will continue.  And with that said, I can see a roll of yellow & black warning tape in my diamond plate tool boxes future!    =)

Barricade Tape
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    breakawaybreakaway Member Posts: 38
    I pack up and change spots if I'm going to be there awhile. Done it before and probably will do it again.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think there is probably a large degree of people just being clueless and unaware.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2015
    jkjenn said:
    I think there is probably a large degree of people just being clueless and unaware.
    Agree!    =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    On site selection, I call it the "movie theater syndrome".  Totally empty theater, where to they sit, in front, next to, or behind.  Then usually loud and obnoxious.  I don't get it?