Options

Air8 Shutting Itself Off Every 3 Minutes or So

Trying to figure out my Air8 unit.  I thought I would do a “real world” experiment simulating arriving at a campground in the evening and seeing how long it would take the air conditioner to cool off the T@B.  When I started at 7:00PM, the internal cabin temperature was 95 degrees and the outside temp was 87 degrees.  I turned on the Air8 and set the temp to 74 degrees in cooling mode and set the fan to “auto”.  I came back 1 hour later and it was 82 degrees inside, 79 degrees outside.  (The Air8 control panel said it was 77 degrees though I had two independent thermometers, one saying 82 and the other 81.). However, I soon noticed that the Air8 was turning itself off about every 3 minutes, staying off for about 2 minutes, then coming back on.  During the roughly 3 minute run cycle, the fan would start off on high, then after 45 seconds or so, it would go to medium.  After 30-40 seconds more, the fan would go to low.  once about 3 minutes were up, the whole thing would shut off.  This cycle kept repeating, though the times were not precisely the same each cycle.

Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I do I do not have this system, however, if like the Alde, there may be a temperature offset feature that would allow to to adjust the ambient temp reading to another “more accurate” source. That should settle the variance concern.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I just watched the Air Force Guy’s video on the air8.  He said that if you keep it on “auto fan” it will keep turning on and off.  Best to leave the fan on low, med., or high.  https://youtu.be/a_jKy1cTSKw

Another thing I would suggest is to run your exhaust fan to eliminate as much hot air in the TaB as possible.  Also, just like heating with the Alde takes time when all the surfaces are very cold, cooling a very, hot TaB will take some time, too.  I think there is not a lot of insulation in our TaBs and some of the cool air is lost through leakage.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio