Options

2008 t@da floor - how to preserve it?

YarnstormerYarnstormer Member Posts: 4
edited September 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
I picked up a very clean 2008 t@da (front dinette) recently. I can't find ANY soft spots or leakage issues at all. It must have been stored under cover. It's been used for sure and I'll be doing some detailing to get it cleaned up, but it's in really great shape and I'd like to keep it that way. 

I will keep it either inside my garage or under a carport when I'm at home. Is there anything I can do to protect the floor other than store under cover? I was thinking I might take it to nucamp to be resealed one day. Is there a "fix" for the wood floors that can be applied BEFORE they get wet? I'm thinking a sealant, extra material on the bottom...something along those lines. 

I saw the factory bulletin about resealing under the doors and in the wheel well. I don't have that caulkable under door place and have not crawled under to check out the wheel well yet but I will before I use it.

When people say "check your seals" are they referring the black seals around the windows? The type that can shrink over time and develop gaps? Or are they referring to sealant ie around intrusions? or both? Is there ever a need to remove the plastic trim and reseal the wall to roof seams? 

I pulled it home in a major rainstorm and could not find any leaks - I really expected one in the front window but it was dry. 

I'm also wondering if there is a protective treatment for the plastic trim. Perhaps plexus would be good for it? 
2008 t@da and 1953 Holly

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I empty my 2007 T@B down to the bare wood once a year. After dark, hubby sits inside in the dark, and I crawl around and shine a flashlight along all seams. If any light comes through, we shoot the area with sealant adhesive. If you take the trim off the wheel wells, you can see where the problem may be there. Where any of the edges meet the floor can be an issue. nuCamp does sell the window seal material. I just recently bought a front window seal for my T@B. Put a plexiglass cover over your CoolCat vent during travel to keep road wash and rain from coming in during travel. When parked, tilt your trailer ever so slightly towards the Cool Cat to ensure it drains. Check the CoolCat drain with a wire coat hanger to make sure it's not clogged. Storing under cover is also helpful.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I picked up a very clean 2008 t@da (front dinette) recently. I can't find ANY soft spots or leakage issues at all. It must have been stored under cover. It's been used for sure and I'll be doing some detailing to get it cleaned up, but it's in really great shape and I'd like to keep it that way. 

I will keep it either inside my garage or under a carport when I'm at home. Is there anything I can do to protect the floor other than store under cover? I was thinking I might take it to nucamp to be resealed one day. Is there a "fix" for the wood floors that can be applied BEFORE they get wet? I'm thinking a sealant, extra material on the bottom...something along those lines. 

I saw the factory bulletin about resealing under the doors and in the wheel well. I don't have that caulkable under door place and have not crawled under to check out the wheel well yet but I will before I use it.

When people say "check your seals" are they referring the black seals around the windows? The type that can shrink over time and develop gaps? Or are they referring to sealant ie around intrusions? or both? Is there ever a need to remove the plastic trim and reseal the wall to roof seams? 

I pulled it home in a major rainstorm and could not find any leaks - I really expected one in the front window but it was dry. 

I'm also wondering if there is a protective treatment for the plastic trim. Perhaps plexus would be good for it? 
    Anywhere you have caulking: lights, around the fan, etc... The biggest area of concern for you will be the plywood floor. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I empty my 2007 T@B down to the bare wood once a year. After dark, hubby sits inside in the dark, and I crawl around and shine a flashlight along all seams. If any light comes through, we shoot the area with sealant adhesive. If you take the trim off the wheel wells, you can see where the problem may be there. Where any of the edges meet the floor can be an issue. nuCamp does sell the window seal material. I just recently bought a front window seal for my T@B. Put a plexiglass cover over your CoolCat vent during travel to keep road wash and rain from coming in during travel. When parked, tilt your trailer ever so slightly towards the Cool Cat to ensure it drains. Check the CoolCat drain with a wire coat hanger to make sure it's not clogged. Storing under cover is also helpful.

2008 t@da and 1953 Holly
  • Options
    thanks for sharing your technique! 
    Is there a readily available plexi cover for the coolcat or do people fabricate something?

is the floor at risk from water coming from below? Or above? I can keep an eye on above below not so much! 
    2008 t@da and 1953 Holly
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Fabricate something. Purchase a piece of plexiglass, have it cut to fit. Force a screw head through four grate holes near the edges, then drill holes in the plexiglass where the screws come out, and then use a washer and wing nut to hold the plexiglass in place.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL