Options

Omni-Bed for T@B 320 -- OEM suggestion

TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
edited September 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
There is more than enough demand for bed layout options that nüCamp should consider offering an OEM solution that satisfies everyone's needs.
If I had the skillset and tools required this is how I'd approach the issue.

The Omni-Bed for 320 S/U models (back couch)Options B, C, and D also apply to the CS model (no back couch).

Components --
1. Split rear couch back*; lower either side as desired for single beds; lower both sides for queen bed or lower both for sleeping wheel to wheel on rear couch bed only.
2. Side bench cushion tops split into two sections; held together with velcro when in couch position. IE, a side bench cushion has 3 parts and no strap connectors as it's easier to maneuver the cushions that way.
3. Side bench tops slide out towards the center; halfway out for one or two twin beds or fully extended to middle for a queen bed.
4. Slats fill in the gaps created on sides over the wheels. A slat wrap roll is provided for each side.
5. A brace runs along the front edge of the back couch (similar to how braces run along benches now). Lagun table mount is below this brace or sandwiched between two brace sections. This brace supports the slide out bench tops at the rear when extended in any position. Halfway out is self-supported at the front by using a pop-up shelf bracket. The two bench tops also clamp together in front when fully extended (queen bed mode), further supporting the load. No support legs are required.

*The split rear couch back is a useful feature on its own since it creates a recliner either side when in single bed mode. Plus it provides access to storage (lower one side to access storage behind/below the other).

nüCamp would have the ultimate bed solution to meet everyone's sleeping style.

Option A: Solo campers 5'8" or less can sleep wheel to wheel with rear couch back splits lowered; side benches remain in normal position.
Option B: Solo campers can setup a twin bed either side by lowering one side of split rear couch back, extending a side bench top partially out, installing slats in the gap over the wheel, and using bottom cushion plus a section of top cushion to fill the gap. .
Option C: Partial slide outs on both sides create two twin beds with walking space between them. Duo campers can leave one bed setup during the day (nap time).
Option D : Full slide outs clamped in middle create one queen bed that fills the space.

I think the Omni-Bed could be a key selling point when demonstrating a T@B 320.
Perhaps others have ideas on refining or streamlining this concept. The key design elements are sliding bench tops, sectioned bench cushion backs, and a split rear couch back for S/U models. 
With a few changes an after-market kit may be possible to current owners.
2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I honestly can see why they don't do it. People can and do, do it themselves and it would diminish their efficiency. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    KFarriorKFarrior Member Posts: 13
    I have a clam shell so I don’t have the u shaped interior. I have two bench seats. I sleep wheel to wheel and use the two Formica pieces that acme with my trailer to put down with the crazy table they had in the 2016’s. I too my table out and now use a TV tray for now. The problem with my wheel to wheel sleeping arrangement is it’s only 20 inches wide.  The added extra problem is a 15 lbs dachshund that takes up more than 1/2. Lol I have found some really innovative ideas on here on solving the issue.    
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    jkjenn said:
    I honestly can see why they don't do it. People can and do, do it themselves and it would diminish their efficiency. 
    @jkenn -- Are you worried too many design improvements will take all the fun out of mods? :)
    I'd argue that for every mod there are more want-the-mod customers who prefer a factory installed solution or kit (parts/instructions)

nüCamp must be listening or we wouldn't see model year upgrades like factory installed solar, battery cut-off switch, lighting changes, door/cargo pockets, integrated backup camera, Lagun table with bed slats, additional outlets, corrugated underbelly protection, hinge/strut changes, denser cushions, battery/tank monitors, etc. -- all of which started out as customer mods in the past.

Every bed mod to date looks like an add-on regardless of how nicely it's done. An integrated design would be virtually hidden. Four built-in layout options "from the factory" would add another feather to nüCamp's cap.
    If someone wants to add bunk beds on top of that they are welcome to mod away. ;) 
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)