Options

Windows A/C vs. Wall A/C

Let me start by saying that I am not an A/C expert and know just enough to keep mine going.  With that as background, I’ve been reviewing many of the posts on this forum and wanted to post an item for discussion.  The A/C currently installed in my 2016 T@B Max S (now called the T@B 320) is a Danby 5,000 BTU Window A/C.  The window A/C has exhaust vents on the side of the A/C and are funneled to the rear of the A/C unit.  The unit is totally enclosed inside the T@B in a built-in box.  Many have commented on the fact that the A/C unit is venting inside the T@B A/C box and that air is being funneled outside.  I have read posts of some modifications members have installed to separate the exhaust air from the intake air to try and keep the air cooler on the intake, thus increasing the efficiency of the A/C unit.  My question for discussion is since the A/C unit is basically sitting/installed inside of the T@B, would a wall A/C unit be better suited for this application versus the window A/C unit.  I realize that the wall units are usually more permanent and more expensive but can be more efficient.  I am just curious on what would be the differences in the window A/C vs. the wall A/C installed inside the T@B.

Marc & Janet
2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    Well, that would eliminate the issue of venting inside the box and eliminate the need for the roof air intake, too, I think.  What about a window A/C with a slide out chassis (Frigidaire makes one).  Weight of a window unit vs wall unit?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 62
    I checked the product weights of both the Danby (current window A/C) and the Frigdaire (slide-out A/C).  The Danby weight is listed as 47.40 lbs and the Frigdaire is listed as 90.0 lbs.  That would be a significant increase in weight for the A/C box.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    When you say wall mount, are you referring to a mini split?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    Not a mini split.  There are regular portable A/C units that I believe are narrower and vent completely out the back that you mount through an exterior wall.  No window required.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Not a mini split.  There are regular portable A/C units that I believe are narrower and vent completely out the back that you mount through an exterior wall.  No window required.
    Hmm...yes, I’ve seen these in apt. Buildings...but larger. Never thought of a smaller version for our little apartments! Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Yup, wall mount unit just do what many forum members have been attempting with diverting and sealing strategies...  have intake and exhaust capacity outside the outer wall of the camper, without too much mixing of the two.  My problem with them is their average width...  they tend to be at least 20" wide which would require significantly revamping the Azdel wall opening on our overhead A/C variant T@Bs.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max