Options

2019 T@B 320 Boondock Solar Panel Low Voltage

RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 129
I have a problem with my factory installed solar panel. The problem is at the controller I am only getting 1.7 volts from wires that are coming from the solar panel that connect to the solar controller. When I check the voltage at the solar panel side of the quick connects on the roof of the trailer I an reading about 21 volts. So somewhere between the solar panels and the controller there is a voltage drop. I tried to find where the black wires from the solar panel are connected to the red and white wires that are connected to the controller but the red and white wires disappear into the wall between the tv  the shower/toilet. Anyone have any suggestions or has dealt with a similar issue, are there any wiring schematics available that show how the solar panel is wired?
2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I can't imagine it would be anything but a straight shot from the roof panel connections to the solar controller.

Did you disconnect the wire from the solar panels at the solar controller and test the voltage there?

That would be my next step
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yes it is 1.7 volts.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

• Options
    I was suggesting double checking the solar controller reading with your volt meter
  • Options
    Ok will do when sun comes up over solar panel today
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I figured  It out, I went back in to test voltage again and I tugged on the white lead from the solar panel to the controller and it fell out of the wall. It seems it was not crimped correctly.  So now I know what the problem is, where in the wall or roof do I need to gain access to in order to connect it, and how do I get access?

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2019
    Oh brother, that's bad.
    I agree with @Cbusguy, that I see no reason for there to be a splice between the panel connections and the controller. It sounds like someone screwed up and cut the supply cables too short, so added an extension.
    I'd measure the cable that dropped out of the wall to figure where the connector was. Is it coming from the AC box? That would be a natural space for running the cable in.
    I'd also recommend you contact NuCamp and ask them why there's a splice at all. It might be fixed on their dime.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yes I filed s warranty claim when I reslized there was a problem a couple of days ago. Hopefully they can help resolve the problem.
    Thank you
  • Options
    What the heck.....isnt that something.  I had a number of bad crimps in my trailer,   they were all related to the jensen and the speakers.    Makes me wonder about the rest of the trailer now
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Well fortunately that is the only issue I've had so far, hopefully there are no others pending. I never would have know the solar was not working if I had not went camping with no hook ups recently, up until that point always went camping at places with full hook ups.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I'm really starting to wonder about the solar installs.  There has been so much bad wiring.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @RayJim, have you opened up the wall next to the tv to see if you can find the faulty crimp or where the wire separated? You can remove the square drive screws on the panel next to the tv mounting area and then remove the panel, giving you access to everything inside the wall. Unless you feel totally uncomfortable doing that, it seems a simple crimp (repair) would be much less time consuming than sending it back to the dealer for service. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    I took the length of the wire that needs crimping and it is long, it reached to the ceiling so not sure I will be able to reach it from the tv panel access.
  • Options
    Is the AC still up there at the ceiling in the 2019? If so, pulling the AC unit is an option, if you're feeling strong. It also is uncomplicated, just kinda heavy.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yes it is still on top, how do I take it out?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    On ours, the wood trim is held on with 4? screws, then there are two screws screwed through the bottom of the box on the front edge (the front edge of the AC unit, that is).
    You might want to take off the outside grill to check that they didn't tape any baffling to the outer side of the unit, in which case you'd want to make note of that in order to restore it later, and then cut it with a knife. Ours was attached with aluminum HVAC metal tape.
    Also, unplug it on the outside of the box, and I think you might need to take off the electrical box cover to allow the plug to slip out of it's hole.
    Then slide it out carefully, into the Tab. It's heavy, so be ready for that.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Ok that is very helpful thank you for that information. Going to have to put some time aside for that and build up a little patience before getting started.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Would like to thank everyone who contributed to this forum and helped me trouble shoot and repair my low voltage problem with the solar installation. I was able reconnect the wire with a wire nut.

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    In my previous life I was a wireman. Nucamp does many things well, unfortunately running wire is not one of them.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback