Installing Interior Battery Shut Off

Hi T@bbers. I have been acclimating myself to my dinosaur 2004 T@b T16 in the last few months. I am now on an extended boondocking trip and realize how nice an interior battery shut off would be. I had previously installed a shut off on the battery box but am now wanting to go a step further in laziness. It was a huge step for me to accomplish the battery box install so my question is....can ‘I’ do this. I have no electrical experience but can watch YouTube! I searched the forum and stuff I saw was way above my knowledge base as far as terminology. Seems like it wouldn’t be all that difficult based on the exteroir install but again....what do I know?? The DM’s seem so much ‘simpler’ than newer models. Thanks in advance for any insight!!!
HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Beyond your next step in laziness ( a worthy goal, I might add) what are you trying to accomplish?  What would be the advantage of the inside battery switch? 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    edited September 2019
    Well, this would be really easy.  A cut-off switch at the battery, and a simple wire to a switch inside the trailer.

And, SCORE!  A wireless one with a remote control!

2017 Outback
  • HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
    Well, maybe I’m thinking all wrong but....I am just trying to save my battery. Since my T@b is so basic it doesn’t have alot of power draw BUT just the ability to be like....hey I’m gonna use the water pump to do dishes.....and then be able to turn it off when done. Rather than running inside and outside constantly (ha, like I do dishes all day). I do alot of boondocking and am used to minimalist camping but I’ve already experienced battery loss and it wasn’t pleasant. So, I have a new battery and am just trying to manage it. 
    The water pump only uses power when it is running and pumping.  But, I understand your point.  One of those remote controlled switches would be one way to do it.
    Have you read Jenn Grover's blog about battery management? 

2017 Outback
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I installed this one in my 2015 (before nuCamp started providing cutoffs). Installation was simple as it only involved a short wire extension and a couple ring terminals. I'm not familiar with the wiring on the older Dutchman T@Bs, but I don't imagine it's a whole lot different.
    Another advantage of this location is that I can disconnect the camper electrical while towing, but still leave the battery connected to allow it to charge from the tow vehicle and also provide power to the breakaway brakes if needed.

2015 T@B S
    Thanks! Paul I will read Jenns info and Scott that looks super simple too. I do have a similar shutoff on my battery box. It’s when I look at the wiring in the converter I freak out. Although I wondered if it needed to even be there as opposed to closer to the ‘box’ under the T@b. Maybe inside a cabinet up front. I wonder too, if I’m sleeping inside, should I not turn off the LP detector? 🤔 Geez...one question leads to another!
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Good point about the propane/CO detector. Another solution you might consider (one which others on this forum have employed) is just installing power switches on devices like audio and television equipment that draw power--albeit very little--even when they are not in use. Again I'm not familiar with the configuration of the Dutchman T@Bs so this may not even apply to you.
    Ultimately, even with the electronics the phantom drain is pretty small. You'll get more mileage from learning to read your battery, practicing good power management, and possibly investing in a solar panel if you have not already.
    2015 T@B S
    Thank you everyone! I will educate myself further!