Options

T@B 400 Microwave Died

Wasn’t sure if this was the right place to put this but here goes. We have been dry camping for over a week now, and being rookies we have had our share of challenges, tank levels, charging batteries, etc. We have used our High Pointe Microwave on both shore power and while running on our Honda 2200 generator with no problems up until last night. We were using the generator to power the microwave so that we could bake a couple of potatoes, half way through the 6min cook cycle the microwave died. We turned everything off, shut down the generator and unplugged it, and let it set. Turned on the generator plugged it into the trailer, still no microwave, it appears to be dead. We connect our generator to the trailer using a heavy duty grounded extension cord plugged into the 110 volt outlet on the honda with a three prong adapter to fit the trailer’s three prong electrical input, no surge protector. Since the Honda generates clean power, i.e., safe for charging computers, and iPhones/iPads, we figured we didn’t really need a surge protector, maybe we where wrong.... Could there have been a surge from the generator that fried the microwave?

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Did you check the circuit breaker in the T@B that includes the microwave?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Yes, you may have just tripped a breaker🤞
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Or blown a blade fuse (assuming the 400 has them).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
    Thanks guys, First thing that I did was to check the circuit breakers, they were all fine. There isn’t a blade fuse for the microwave, or at least there isn’t a listing for one. The microwave was giving us some warning signals that it was not, shall we say, fully functional from the beginning. The time cook control did not work from the beginning. If we set time cook the timer would count down but the microwave would not heat. If we just hit a time button the microwave would heat a cup of water, which is what we most used it for. We cooked some potatoes a few days ago using the baked potato button and it worked fine. Last night we tried the same thing and halfway through the cooking cycle the microwave gave up the ghost. My thought is that the microwave was faulty from the beginning and just finally had enough. We have only used it a half dozen times, some on shore power, some on generator. I looked up the model online and it sells for around $130 to $150... Not a terribly expensive peace of kit, I would think that NuCamp would shell out a few more bucks for a more competent unit, don’t you think...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Correction,  The microwave in the T@B 400 is a $275 piece of kit.  I’m going to call the warranty department for the microwave today. I may also call NuCamp directly...  I will let you all know what the outcome is. Again thanks for your comments. 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My research seems to indicate the brand is one of the few brands that is made for RVs and so that may be why it is used.

I was trying to determine if they had a convection model that would fit in same spot, they might, but it would require removal and doing some measurements.

There is no 12v circuit for the mw, it simply plugs into a dedicated outlet with a breaker, really should be a pretty easy item to replace.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Update on our Microwave problem - When we got back to Denver from Arizona I called “Collins & Company”, this is the company that High Pointe uses for their warranty service. I have called them twice now, the first time I was transferred to the person who handles the warranty service and his voice mailbox was full. The second time I called I actually got to his voicemail box and was able to leave a message. It’s been a day now and I haven’t gotten a return call. If I don’t get a call back by tomorrow, my first call will be to  “Collins and Company” my second call will be to NuCamp’s warrantee number. I realize that NuCamp doesn’t warrantee the product but they do choose the company that they purchase the microwave from. The warrantee on the microwave is for one years, and my one year is up on November 17th. I don’t want them to run the clock out on me.... Frustrating...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Update on our Microwave issue -  I spoke with Aaron at NuCamp’s Warrantee Department. He will be working with the microwave manufacture to get a resolution. He thinks they will be shipping a new microwave either to a NuCamp dealer near us, or shipping it directly to us. We discussed either having the dealer install It or it would be pretty simple for me to Install it myself ( four screws and a plug ). I am giving NuCamp a couple of days to contact the manufacture and then  we will discuss delivery options. NuCamp appears to be very responsive...
  • Options
    Update on Microwave Issue - I spoke with Aaron of NuCamp today. NuCamp is sending me a replacement microwave. Aaron has asked me to cut the power chord off the old microwave and send it back in a pre-paid package to them. He will then deal with the warranty company. Incredible customer service on NuCamp’s part. The warranty on this third party equipment technically isn’t NuCamp’s responsibility, but they are stepping up to the plate. I really appreciate it...
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    I wonder what all the vibration from traveling in a camper does to any microwave.  It can’t be good.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Sam, interesting question... I don’t know but I would hope that a microwave specifically made for RV’s would be designed to take road vibration.... I don’t know, but I’ve been wrong before...
  • Options
    karentabkarentab Member Posts: 7
    Hi,  crazy question..... do you still have the glass tray from the dead microwave? We are looking for a replacement....
  • Options