7 Way Connector Housing broken

We tow our T@B Outback with our 2001 Toyota 4Runner.  We often go on some relatively rough roads after parking the tab.  Twice this year we have dragged a bit on the back bumper and broken the housing on the 7 Way Connector.  The connection still worked but it was kind of flopping around and probably would cause problems eventually.  Anybody know of any tricks for protecting the 7 way connector housing when off-roading without the trailer?  Is there some sort of heavy duty housing that is available?

Comments

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Is there anything from changing where you have it mounted????  I have mounted one connector inside the rear hatch of a tow vehicle and then drop out the hatch when I need to use it.

or mount it above the bumper instead of below it.

just a thought
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • bspiglejrbspiglejr Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the quick response!  I certainly don't have any problem with changing it.  The RV shop we took it to didn't give us those options.  How does the one inside the hatch work?  How do you get the cord through the door when it is closed?  I can shop around and see about mounting it above the bumper.  I'd have to see if there's some way to do that and still get the back door open...  We aren't at all mechanical so we don't do this stuff ourselves.  Would there be somewhere better to take it than an RV service shop?
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Perso, ai do not have a Suby, but a Nissan X-Trail (not an X-Terra) and I found out I had the room tho drill through the plastic bumper.  I am not someone who change vehicule often, so to me, it was a no brainer.  And just in case you did not know, you can replace just the plastic housing w/o having to change the complete harness.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • bspiglejrbspiglejr Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Luckyj.  That may very well be the best solution.  We certainly keep our cars a long time (bought the 2001 4runner in 2002).  I'll call around and see if there's somebody that will do that type of job.
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    It was on a Ford explorer with our previous pop up.  Just shut the door on it.....it had enough of a gap that it wasn't an issue
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    I have installed the 7way in my bumper in past vehicles.  Just take it to a local auto shop and have them cut a hole in the bumper and fit it in.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.