Options

Do I need the OutB@ck?

Hoping to join the T@B club ASAP, but am stuck on whether or not I should go for the OutB@ck model. I have never even camped at a regular campground before, usually heading as far away from civilization as I can get. How do the non-OutB@ck models hold up on graded/rockier roads? Anyone love their OutB@ck and consider it a necessity for anyone planning on leaving the pavement? Any feedback is extremely helpful! Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The T@Bs have low clearance - The Outback model gives you a couple more inches. It's still not going to be enough to get you off on the four-wheel drive type roads in my estimation - at least the ones I've been on - But it'll get you more places than the standard T@B.
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2015
    It was a tough decision to go between a T@B Outback and a Moby1 (http://moby1trailers.com/).  You may also want to consider a Rough Rider by Little Guy (http://www.golittleguy.com/model?id=44&model=5-Wide-Rough-Rider) if you are planning more offroad travels.  My Outback is pending delivery so I have no real experience.  However, I plan to use the Outback "off-pavement" and not "offroad".  98% of my camping locations with the T@B will be in non-campground environment.  I just wanted a little extra ground clearance to have a little more options on where to camp.  If I wanted to travel with the trailer up and over rocks and through mud and ruts I would have gone with the Moby 1.

Use this guide to determine trail rating: http://www.utah.com/offroad/moab_trail_ratings.htm

If you are not good at tire placement offroad I would only take the Outback on a 1 rating.  Up to a 2 otherwise.  Beyond a 2 rating I would go with a Moby 1 or similar. 

For perspective, I am comfortable up to a rating 6.  Obviously, without the trailer.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    I like the interiors and amenities of the other T@Bs vs the more Spartan Outback (from the little I've paid attention. One option is ordering whatever model you want with the Outback axel/wheels. Jenn had here axel replaced whe her T@B was at the factory for warranty work. She now has the T@B she likes but with a higher clearance.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My biggest concern with taking the T@b on rough roads is that it will cause things to come loose. There is no shock system available for the LG T@bs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Do you know if the Outback axel is available for the Clamshell model?  I'm guessing not because the Outback is not available in Clamshell, but that might be due to the roof rack.  It would be nice to get more clearance, but we really like the outside kitchen.
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I ordered my 2016 Max S, and they are putting an Outback axle on it without additional cost. I was also told that putting the Outback tires on it would be an additional cost of "North of $300."
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Guess I will have to check with the dealer on this....still deciding on exactly what we want/need.   :)
  • Options
    Patti - Not sure "any" Outback feature can be - the axel and diamond-plate box can for sure. But, I would imagine you could mix-n-match almost any features from any model if you wanted to spend the money for that truly custom build to take place.
  • Options
    Do you know if the Outback axel is available for the Clamshell model?...
    Just order a new axle from Dexter.  They now own ALKO.  From what I have read, the new model T@Bs may come either with a Dexter or ALKO label.

You can order different angles depending on what size lift you want (http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600-8K_Catalog/2300-4000_Lbs.pdf).  

You can also order a lift (http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_lift_kit).

In reality, any modification can be done.  Find a competent welder/body shop or buy some tools and begin cutting/modifying.  Learn as you go.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Jenn - They don't have shocks but they do have a shock system - it's that torsion-bar thing - that's what the clasic old VW Beattle had. I had a client that made heavy-duty trailers with big portable heating systems for ground thawing and concrete curing and they used torsion-bar suspensions just like the T@Bs.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    jkjenn said:
    My biggest concern with taking the T@b on rough roads is that it will cause things to come loose. There is no shock system available for the LG T@bs.
    It is possible to put shocks on a torsion axle.  Some people do it to dampen the the vibration.  It has been reported that on hard use, really hard use, the rubber in the torsion axle will heat up and will vulcanize.  After some road use and how the Outback handles on washboard, I may consider installing Old Man Emu shocks.

And for a technical discussion on torsion axles vs leaf spring/shocks: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-74901.html
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

We own an Outback. And the extra ground clearance is well worth it. So too is the front storage platforms and diamond plate box. I'm worried about the spare tire mounted on the rear Yakima rack because of the torque on the system. We plan on doing gravel roads but will never do off-roading with the trailer. Bouncing around back there can't be doing the Yakima rack and roof any good so I plan on removing the spare tire and using a Slime tire repair kit instead. The Yakima will be used for lighter items like chairs or tent.

We considered a Cricket but the Outback has more creature comforts for our type of camping in Wyoming.

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    sabel said:

We own an Outback. And the extra ground clearance is well worth it. So too is the front storage platforms and diamond plate box. I'm worried about the spare tire mounted on the rear Yakima rack because of the torque on the system. We plan on doing gravel roads but will never do off-roading with the trailer. Bouncing around back there can't be doing the Yakima rack and roof any good so I plan on removing the spare tire and using a Slime tire repair kit instead. The Yakima will be used for lighter items like chairs or tent.

We considered a Cricket but the Outback has more creature comforts for our type of camping in Wyoming.

I love the looks of the outback and wish ours was an outback.  Much like you, the first thing to move would be that spare.  I would keep the spare and move it to the front like I did on mine.  

I would be concerned  about damaging a tire, such as a side wall or large hole in the tread where a slime type  kit won't work.  

I have a fair fair bit if experience with on road tire repairs from my many years of motorcycle touring and using tubeless tire repair systems when I have flatted. 
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The dutchman t@bs could have shocks added.  Hasn't seemed worth it.  I just go slower on "bad" terrain and have weathered some pretty rough terrain.  
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    Sable

Not to beat on one issue, but I would really consider finding a way to carry a spare tire.  My guess is that a trailer tire could be very badly damaged by the time you get the rig off the road to a safe place to stop in the case of a complete deflation.  If that happens you may find it very difficult to find a replacement tire close by.  Even if you did your rig would have to set on the side of the road on a jack as you had a new tire installed on the wheel. I guess there is the option of your rig being put on a flat bed tow truck.

Anyway, I will shut up now.
  • Options
    If you go with no spare, make sure you get that AAA Extra Gold Ultra plan ;-)
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Think I'll start another discussion; Spare Tire vs Patch Kit
  • Options
    jeeper5jeeper5 Member Posts: 2
    You can always carry the spare in the TV or on the front tongue area?
  • Options
    BWidgetBWidget Member Posts: 35
    PXLated said:
    I like the interiors and amenities of the other T@Bs vs the more Spartan Outback (from the little I've paid attention. One option is ordering whatever model you want with the Outback axel/wheels. Jenn had here axel replaced whe her T@B was at the factory for warranty work. She now has the T@B she likes but with a higher clearance.
    You can order any model, except for the CS, and add the Outback package.

The exit angle of the CS is not as good as the non-CS models.
    Bill from Los Angeles Arizona
    2015 T@B S Maxx Outback
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    CormFECormFE Member Posts: 10
    Hi all. The wife and I are seriously considering an Outback model. Does anyone know the load capacity (weight) that the Yakima rack is rated for? If it is holding a tire I'm guessing it is pretty good?
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock // TV: 2021 Dodge Durango - Location: Gander, Newfoundland, Canada