Options

Norcold 3-way auxiliary fan kit- my install in 2018 T@B 320S

2»

Comments

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Stovetop removal is very easy. The four corner black plastic “bumpers” under the glass are actually screw covers. Use fingernail or small pick and the cover pops off exposing the four screws. Remove screws and you can lift the stovetop and place it over the sink. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Getting the stove top secured back down is the frustrating part especially the front 2. But doable with patience.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Dale, I’ve had mine off twice and found once I scraped off the silicon sealant I had no problems lining up the screw holes. But I did have a problem with one of the drilled holes being almost off of the mounting corner so I angled the screw on reassembly. 
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Just curious, for my own mental files...  Have they stopped using the little clamp-type-thingies to hold down the stove? These were little gizmos that (in theory) would rotate under the lip of the cutout and then tighten down as you turned the screws.

In practice they were virtually useless, particularly if the counter cutout was not made to exacting tolerances. I replaced mine with solid blocks after removing the stove for the second time.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited August 2018
    On my 2018 they use 4 Phillips head screws about 1” long drilled into particle board corner blocks attached with glue and staples. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Thanks, rcuomo. That sounds like a big improvement!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Our 2015 has the corner clamps. If yours doesn’t then the job should be easy.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    sqrpegsqrpeg Member Posts: 59
    I just spoke with Elsie, who clarified that the fan kit available from nuCamp is really meant for those with the older style fridge. They haven't tested it (or determined if it's even necessary) with the newer side-vented Norcold 180.3 setup.  Elsie said that if I still wanted to get the kit I'd have to pay for it, which given the above I understand.

I'm still going to pursue a fix, but I'll select my own parts instead. And thanks everyone for the tips on lifting the stovetop.
    2018 320S Boondock | 2018 Ford Escape Titanium
  • Options
    I had a 4” computer fan lying around my shop and I was able to install it from the inside after removing the stove top. I really didn’t want to break the seal by removing the outside vent. It only required one screw to hold it in place.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Computer fan for less than $20 and lighted switch for less than $10 and wire and you are good to go. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    IstokpogaIstokpoga Member Posts: 22
    Following
    Fred & Victoria with Bichons Venus & Gator; On the shores of Lake Istokpoga, Florida; Tan@Bell@ 2017 Teal & White 320 S towed by a 2004 Nissan Titan and occasionally by GatorRoo, a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 L 
    "It's great to be a Florida Gator!"
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    rcuomo said:
    . . . newer models do have the cooling fins on the outside but I recently experienced countertop temps above 100 degrees on an extremely hot, humid day.

. . .  Verdict- is this fan needed in the later model T@Bs with fridge side mounted intake and exhaust vents?  Probably not.  Does it work? Absolutely. Yesterday in 88-90 degree temps the countertop temp dropped 8 degrees in less than 30 minutes.

Just completed a few days of dry camping.  Afternoon temperatures were 93+F and made a point of checking the fridge area for 'hot spots'.

There were two very warm spots, no idea how warm/hot but very different from the surrounding surfaces.

First - - Panel to right of fridge front, from the upper door hinge point down about 6-inches.
                 The rest of that side panel was cool/normal.

Second - - Countertop to right of stove, another 6-inch or so spot centered on the counter
                      front-2-back and warmest at the exterior wall.

Will monitor those locations and decide if the reduction in spot temperature justifies the installation effort & DC Amps drain for my T@B'bing style.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    Questions and observations:
    1.  With the 180.3 installation (right-side heat-exchanger) are there dividers inside the cabinetry to contain the airflow? (lower and upper, to improve airflow and avoid heating the counter).  The implication is (since 180.3 owners still experience hot stovetops): No.
    2.  Does the 180.3 perform better in warm conditions, compared to the previous 336?
    3.  Has anyone retrofitted a 180.3 in an earlier T@B with the 336?

Observations:
    Made the following observations with our 336 on Labor Day weekend.
    1.  Fridge won't run on propane when under tow - flame goes out.  My previous trailer ran under tow. (pop-up). Consulted friends; in their travel trailers, motorhomes, and cab-over campers, the propane fridge runs under tow.  I suspect the reason it won't with the T@B is the venting on the front of the trailer, vs. the side.  (In all cases, the trailer's manual says "don't use when towing).
    2.  At 7500' elevation, day time temps were mid 70's, night time around 50.  Fridge temp varied between 40F and 50F.  (Had a Campco circulation fan in it).  Temps inside were probably in the 60s nighttime (no heat, just ventilation control), daytime matched outside temperatures. Norcold has the high-altitude kit. Thermostat setting did not seem to matter; more opening and closing of the fridge.
    3.  Norcold thermostatic fan ran intermittently, day and night.  Opened the below-fridge cabinet door, and thermostatic fan operation ceased.   I suspect that floor vent is too small.

• Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    I have not gotten a tab yet,  but planning to get one soon.   been reading quite a bit in regard to the fridge and find it kind of sad that many people have problem with it not cooling well. i think the fridge and hot water are the greatest luxury comparison to tent camping
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Bringing this one back up, as I’ve been experimenting with the fridge during these warmer days. How difficult an install would this be on a 2019 (2 side vent) model for someone with little to no wiring experience?

My laser infrared thermometer is registering an 8-9 degree increase at the countertop when the fridge is running on electric on an 80° ambient day. Front shade closed, door not obstructing vent, trailer shaded under a carport. Added reflectix to the upper undersink cabinet on the outer wall and fridge sides, that did lower the temps there to match the lower undersink and main cabin. The exterior upper vent runs around 132°, so it’s certainly putting out heat. I’d like to be able to pull the excess out through the vent instead of the counter, but this sort of job intimidates me. Should I be looking for someone else to install a fan, or is this an easy DIY for someone who can manage basic directions?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    On my 2018 it took me around an hour to remove stove top, drill hole for switch, mount fan, wire everything and reassemble. Fairly straight forward project. I have seen 10-15 degree difference. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2019
    I'm going to jump on this thread too. I have a 2014 LG 320 S Maxx. It has no side vent and the heat from the Fridge on the inside is extreme and battles with the AC cooling and Texas heat. I have been reading all the threads on the subject but I don't see where anyone has addressed the lack of an existing side vent to add the fan kit. I am sure that due to the age of my tab, NuCamp would not cover the cost of the modification although I haven't asked yet. And I am not keen on cutting into the side of my tab. 
    Am I missing a discussion on this?  @nuCamp @digitalintrigue

(Edit) Disregard!! I am silly, I do have that vent on the door side of my tab. duh!
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    Cut the hole add the fan your fridge will love you for it. I did this to allow even more air flow.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
    Cut the hole add the fan your fridge will love you for it. I did this to allow even more air flow.

Interesting. Would this then pull cool air through and expel hot air out through the outside vent with fan kit added?
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    @Mewcycle
     Definitely 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun