Options

BAL DumpCaddy?

GidgetGidget Member Posts: 64
edited August 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hey y'all... I saw this by happenstance and fell in love (if one can actually fall in love with anything dealing with a black tank!!! LOL!)... has anyone put this on their wee rig? It's the BAL 28802 DumpCaddy: 

I know most people have the Valterra AO4-5094BK and I almost bought it until I saw this beauty!!!!

--------------------------

Thoughts? Suggestions? Winning Lotto Numbers? :)  All kidding aside, would it work on a 2018 320s?

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I loved it when I saw it, but I think it is too long for the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Aw, man! That's a bummer... *sigh* I was totally willing to shell out the $100 for one of 'em. 

Look out open road, here we come!!! Me, my Gracie May, a 2YO Beaweenie; half Beagle, half Dachshund, Dash, the 2015 Kia Sorento LX V6, Gidget, the 2018 nüCamp 320s!

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    From Amazon's specs (which are notoriously inaccurate, I do admit) it says: 48.5 x 8.4 x 8.4 inches That doesn't seem too long to me. I'll go to BAL's site and confirm that figure.

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Surprisingly, zero dimensions are listed on BAL's website. But I see this on Wal-Mart's
    48.00 x 6.00 x 6.00 Inches  So, I'm thinking it's somewhere in the middle which wouldn't make it too long, right @jkjenn?

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    Gidget said:
    Surprisingly, zero dimensions are listed on BAL's website. But I see this on Wal-Mart's
    48.00 x 6.00 x 6.00 Inches  So, I'm thinking it's somewhere in the middle which wouldn't make it too long, right @jkjenn?
    Where were you going to put it?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    On the passenger side, where everyone else puts their Valterra version.

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    Gidget said:
    On the passenger side, where everyone else puts their Valterra version.
    But the tank gates are on the driver side...how will this help support the hose on the passenger side?

• Options
    Right, that's where I wanted it but honestly, I've not been under the camper to see if it would fit over there or not. All the photos I've seen have the hose "holder" on the passenger side. Of course, this works entirely differently so it would HAVE to go on the driver's side.

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    So, @jkjenn ... will it still not work?

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    Gidget said:
    So, @jkjenn ... will it still not work?
    It has been a while since I researched and I did not examine putting it on the tongue, so I do not know.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I pondered lots of options when I was planning my sewer hose carrier project. As far as I can tell, there's no room to mount anything on the driver's side. There's not much flexibility on the passenger side either, but it's a moot point as mounting the BAL Dump Caddy on the passenger side (opposite the dump valves) would defeat its entire purpose.

I ultimately ended up taking a cue from others here on the forum and mounted my carrier across the front, behind the tub. Having used it several times now, I really like it, as there is very little wrangling of the hose to get it into position for dumping. Ultimately it seems like that's the whole point of the BAL Dump Caddy...

Granted, this was a moderately advanced project, but as someone who dislikes futzing with stuff (especially stuff covered with human waste) I've been very happy with this solution.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2018
    I might see if this will work with the toy hauler. Nothing is ever perfect. Even if it fits, I wouldn't leave the hose connected full time (not sure they'd even recommend that.. probably just for show in pict). It almost looks like it's for campers that have their outlet inside an outdoor cabinet. These campers have swirly things in their black tanks to keep them clean and pumps to empty both tanks *sigh*. 

As a microbiologist, I have an issue with closing up ends of the dump tank hoses (or water hoses). Many bacteria love the lack of oxygen. In dump hoses, that's not a good thing. Airing out a hose between dumps with the ends open (or you have holes in your carrier) is optimal. This is after you give it a good rinse with the dump station non-potable water for a million minutes (j/k about the million). :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks guys.... so I've taken your advise and decided NOT go to with the BAL DumpCaddy... instead, I bouht the Valterra A04-5094BK Adjustable EZ Hose Carrier (50″ - 94″, Black).

I like how @ScottG has made his look so darned professional!!! Was it difficult? Did you use the electric hot knife that I read others referencing? I was actually thinking of mounting it underneath with steel zip ties but to be honest, I've not looked underneath the rig at all. :(  I'll figure it out. I'm good with getting creative... don't mind getting my hands dirty either... but not with a black hose!!! :-D 

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    I tell ya, there's some folks here that are T@B University Professors. Masters at Mods. I can't name 'em all cuz there are so many. Don't ask me about professional-looking mods cuz usually there's duct tape and bailing wire involved (or a tin lunchbox)!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Gidget, if you haven't found it already, you can see the particulars of my installation in this discussion. I can't take any credit, however--several others did this mod before me, and I even appropriated the screwless mounting method from @BrianZ. Others have just screwed the carrier to the diamond plate and that seems to work fine, too.
    The hardest part about the cut wasn't making it, but marking it out in just the right place. I honestly don't remember exactly what I did, but I recall it involved a lot of double-triple-quadruple checking before bringin' out the blade!
    It seems everyone has tried a different method for making the actual cut. Somebody used a hot knife, as you've already noted. Another used a coping saw. I used a dremel with a small cut off wheel. All methods seem to work well.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @Ratkity, I think employing a tin lunchbox into your design is positively brilliant!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    A solar system lunchbox for the solar controller too! LOL
  • Options
    @ScottG, I'm starting to earn my mod "badge" as I've already done so much to my Gidget in just the two and a half months since i've had her. I think I might try my hand this weekend at carving out my notch in the "canister" as it's certainly the most obscured place to put it. Admitting that I have NOT been under the rig, why can we not just attach it underneath, Scott?

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    @Gidget, if you haven't found it already, you can see the particulars of my installation in this discussion. I can't take any credit, however--several others did this mod before me, and I even appropriated the screwless mounting method from @BrianZ. Others have just screwed the carrier to the diamond plate and that seems to work fine, too.
    I just read your post. Wow... that's a LOT of work there to just put on a hose carrier! I commend you for the time and dedication you had to that project. I think, though, I want to simplify that by a lot and see if I can come up with another, quicker, easier solution. Wish me luck! ;)

Places Visited Map
  • Options
    @Gidget, good luck!
    Actually, your install should be a little easier. You have a newer model T@B in which the interior framing of the tub has been changed a bit from my 2015. In BrianZ's case (also a newer T@B) the frame lined up perfectly to hold the tube in place. You also probably don't need to deal with a modified battery box.
    Of course, simply screwing the tube to the diamond plate (as others have done) would probably be a lot simpler. You will still need standoffs to hold the tube off the curved body and provide a little space for the LP hose to pass behind (if you don't plan on getting a longer LP hose).
    There's very limited space under the camper--putting it almost anywhere down there is going to severely compromise ground clearance. Several owners have mounted tubes across the back under the tail (where the spare tire was originally mounted). I considered this for ease of installation, but I couldn't get around the fact that mounting it across the front made accessing it so much more convenient to the dump valves.
    Let us know what you come up with--yours may be the best iteration yet!  :-)
    2015 T@B S