Platform Storage Box Advice

First mod/addition to new T@B underway. After researching other storage box ideas on this forum I went to Home Depot and bought 2 Rigid tool boxes, the smaller 22" Pro Box (8.9 gallons) and the larger, wheeled Mobile Gear Cart (14.8 gal). After removing the wheels and telescoping handles on the Mobile Gear Cart I tried them on the front platform. 
-- Mobile Gear Cart, taller and just a little wider. It has an easily removable top, not on hinges so handles do not interfere, can be mounted flush with back of platform. Sticks out about 2-3 inches beyond platform
--Pro Box is smaller, and to allow lid to fully open must be mounted forward of the back of platform. Sticks out about 1-2 inches beyond platform.
I have seen others use the Pro Box or the similar Dewalt box, but no one using the larger Mobile Gear Cart. Any suggestions or advice before I drill holes and mount these? First 4 images are the smaller box, last 4 images the larger box.

Comments

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Tom_Eagle, can't speak to mounting suggestions, but I see you have the diamond plate tub and out back platform, and your spare is up front. When loaded pay particular attention to your tongue weight. It's recommended at 10-15% of your loaded trailer.  Since our t@bs are initially light weight, it's easy to get tongue heavy. Good luck with everything.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I saw on Facebook where Peter Carraci had mounted his box by putting a nice wide piece on angle below the platform with a big fender washer and bolting into that so he did not have to drill into the platform. On the inside of the box, he used a fender washer and the top part of the bolt.

I do not want to post someone else's photos, but it you read the comments of this thread in the Favebook group, if you are a memeber, you will see the photos: 
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/24931511064?view=permalink&id=10155276552296065

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Sparky13Sparky13 Member Posts: 13
    I picked up two of these boxes at Office Depot. I got the stickers on Amazon. I figured that no one will try to break into boxes labeled Biohazard, Trash or Recycling! In truth, I carry the sewer hose & other sewer items in the “Biohazard” bin, and water, electrical etc in the other bin. They are strapped on, but if anyone has suggestions as to mount them otherwise I’d like to hear your ideas.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Sparky13, good size for the platform. Are these watertight? That may not matter, depending upon what you’re storing but if not, you can always drill some drainage holes. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Sparky13 said:
    I picked up two of these boxes at Office Depot. I got the stickers on Amazon. I figured that no one will try to break into boxes labeled Biohazard, Trash or Recycling! In truth, I carry the sewer hose & other sewer items in the “Biohazard” bin, and water, electrical etc in the other bin. They are strapped on, but if anyone has suggestions as to mount them otherwise I’d like to hear your ideas.
    I use 2 straps like you and they don't budge. I just got back from a grip from Pittsburgh to Montana, Wyoming  and South Dakots and they were rock solid. I like that I am not committing to a single solution.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @Sparky13
    Please be aware that those bins will likely fill with water when it rains. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2018
    Drilled the back for the U bolts, and then added some zip ties on the front sides, and also another underneath near the front as well. I 'padded' the zip ties where they meet the metal, just with some electrical tape. Zip ties and screws will need to be checked occasionally for breakage or any loosening - but I'll see how it  stands up. I can put my wheel blocks and square levelers in it, along with a couple of very small odds and ends.

SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
    Further info: correct - my grey Office Depot boxes do not have a water-tight seal on top. They do indeed get water inside, but there’s nothing in them that can’t suffer a little rainwater. I’ll drill some wee drain holes in the bottom before my next trip. I like your U-bolt suggestion - I’ll do that. I will probably also add a short (8”?) metal strap underneath the platform which will be bolted w/nuts inside the boxes.
    i am a newbie to this site. I really appreciate all the feedback!
    btw....where do you get a tongue-mount for your spare tire? That’s a great idea!
  • SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    edited September 2018
    Is the Ridgid mobile gear box lockable?
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
    Sparky13 said:
    btw....where do you get a tongue-mount for your spare tire? That’s a great idea!
    I believe it is part of the T@g Boondock platform. You can get it from the factory.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The only other suggestion or consideration I'd add is to ensure you use aluminum or rubber beneath the platform to eliminate any effects of metal against aluminum.  You could easily fabricate a piece of aluminum from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and as noted, keep an eye on the bolts as they will loosen with road travel.  You could use some Loc-Tite, the non-permanent type or aircraft style fiber nuts and stainless steel bolts too.  Fender washers with rubber will work too....   Just a suggestion!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    Hi, I'm very interested in adding a tool/accessory box to our 320 Boondock, but I need a box that is waterproof.  Does anyone have and suggestion for one that is around 18-20"Long x 13-14"Deep x ~12" High?
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Arwen said:
    Hi, I'm very interested in adding a tool/accessory box to our 320 Boondock, but I need a box that is waterproof.  Does anyone have and suggestion for one that is around 18-20"Long x 13-14"Deep x ~12" High?
    I would do a google search (click on photos) for diamond plate boxes. They do make triangular shaped boxes and those would be waterproof and have a lock.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • SteveWSteveW Member Posts: 12

I have tried many variations and am super happy with these - 4 x Wolf Pack - by Front Runner, 2 with the high lid option. Totally waterproof and strong. The bottom boxes are mounted with mending plates to the platform so the straps are just to hold the tops in place.

The best combination of storage I could come up with ; didn't like a deep "lose stuff in the bottom" singular option.

As a bonus - when we have the side tent on and forget the step stool - you can stand on them to get inside ;-)

Reformed tent campers now in Ab T@B - 2016 Outback
    SteveW said:

I have tried many variations and am super happy with these - 4 x Wolf Pack - by Front Runner, 2 with the high lid option. Totally waterproof and strong. The bottom boxes are mounted with mending plates to the platform so the straps are just to hold the tops in place.

The best combination of storage I could come up with ; didn't like a deep "lose stuff in the bottom" singular option.

As a bonus - when we have the side tent on and forget the step stool - you can stand on them to get inside ;-)

I use the Cub Pack Boxes form Front Runner, which are slightly smaller. I have been considering an upgrade to the Wolf Pack boxes, which are slightly larger. They are made to stack, so they travel well.

• SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    My box mounting option:
    I mounted 2 Costco storage boxes by drilling holes in the box bottoms and securing with 2 large zip ties to the outback's aluminum platform. The Costco box lids snap down pretty securely but I use a bungie as extra security just to keep the lid on. They are rain proof but rain does pool up on the tops.

To mount:  I put each box down in the position I wanted, then, with a white china marker, marked the box from underneath, through the holes in the aluminum platform, to show me where to drill holes for the zip ties. The ties are those big ones that are about 1/4 inch by 18"(?). They won't be symmetrically located but staggered because of the way the holes line up. But I'm going into way too much detail for a simple job. Just drill and space them where they do the most good.  I spray painted the black boxes silver gray and left the tops yellow. If you paint the plastic boxes, prep by scrubbing down with cleaner and wet sand with fine grade, as they are an oily plastic. 
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    edited January 2019
    I've used two 50cal ammo boxes long side to side and secure them with bolts through the bottom and connected to the platform with large washers/nuts.  I like the Wolf Pack box option more.  Anyone have a suggestion on where to put a small generator with extra fuel and water?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida