Options

New floor plan for the 2019 400 Boondock Lite

Hi folks! I don't know if this is the right place to start this but I can't find the thread anywhere else.  Apologies to all if I've erred here.
  DW and I stopped by "our" dealer just because we were in the neighborhood and low and behold he had a 2019 400 Boondock Lite sitting on the lot.  Actually we pulled in just before closing as I did not know the exact time they closed on a weekend.
  Even tho they were gracious enough to let us tour the new T@B  it was obvious that it was weekend close time so we took the hint and boogied the tour.
  It was all there, the quality, the space, the closet,...wait!  Where's the closet?  In place of the closet (which I kinda liked) was a fridge with a large, deep drawer underneath.  Not just a fridge but a LARGER fridge by half with a freezer.  Where the fridge was under the stove top were now two fairly large drawers.
  As it was PAST closing time I was not able to ascertain the size of the fridge, nor was I able to determine if this was a
"custom" unit or a glimpse of the future.
  DW liked the size of the fridge and in her opinion there was still clothes storage aplenty.  I just thought that the closet organized things a bit more but that's just my opinion.
  I understand that the 400 will not feature the Boondock "shelves" on each side of the tub in a bid to keep the tongue weight down even on the Boondock Edge.  Again if I am mistaken in this please correct.
  Is the closet gone forever? Are there any other changes I missed? Again, I wasn't able to get any further info.  If someone knows please advise.
Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    New day, new model:)  Fans wanted a big frig and they got it with the 2019 400 model, sans the closet.  Appears neither Boondock 400 model has the platform included.   
    BOONDOCK LITE

• 15-inch Matte Black Sport Rims
    • Aggressive Off Road Tires
    • Heavy-Duty Pitched Axle
    • Electric Brakes
    • 15-inch Standard Spare
    • Diamond Plated Tub
    • Aluminum Platform (TAB 320 Only)
    • Boondock Entry Handle & Graphics Package

BOONDOCK EDGE

(Includes the features in Boondock Lite package.)

• 15-inch Full Spare Tire w/Matte Black Sport Rim and Custom Tongue Mount
    • 52-inch Light Bar w/Two Spotlights
    • Yakima® Roof Rack
    • 5-Piece Exterior Accent Kit
    • Uber-Strength Marmoleum Flooring
    • Door Mounted Cargo Pouches

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Hmm, maybe option? I just looked at a 2019 Boondock Lite 400 at my local dealer, still had closet and smaller fridge.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
    You're right about "new day, new model" Sharon.  I failed to mention that DW was especially pleased that the fridge was raised off the floor and much easier to access. If an option N7  well, dang it I STILL like the wardrobe/closet and hope to be able to pick and choose if I ever got the chance.
    Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana
  • Options
    ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    Hmm. Interesting. I could understand sacraficing the drawer under the fridge and insert a larger (taller) fridge in its current location. Losing the closet is a tough choice. I’d rather stick with the current layout. 
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    Not sure if this is optional.  NuCamp is famous for making changes in the middle of a model year.  The dealer will know if it is standard going forward with new orders.
  • Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    The new bigger fridge is in my 400s future. Hopefully before winter is over.
  • Options
    BradGBradG Member Posts: 2
    Sharon, I just ordered this weekend. The bigger frig is one of the options, like the solar, microwave, and inverter.
  • Options
    Good to know it is optional @BradG.  So large frig, solar, microwave and inverter - anything else for the 400?
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I saw one of these yesterday.  The fridge is labelled as a 3.7 cf 3-way. It is taller, but the freezer doesn't look any bigger.  And it doesn't look as deep as the 2.7 cf 2-way.  There is a intake vent on the outside wall of the T@B and it appears there is an exhaust vent on the roof.  I assume these are for the propane system
    In addition to the additional drawers, the WFCO was relocated to a panel under the passenger side dinette seat (a prime place to get constantly kicked I would think) and the Jensen control panel was above the fridge (much better location than high over the bed).  The larger fridge is a $472 option on the T@B 400.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I saw one of these yesterday.  The fridge is labelled as a 3.7 cf 3-way. It is taller, but the freezer doesn't look any bigger.  And it doesn't look as deep as the 2.7 cf 2-way.  
    When this first hit the news, that was an observation of another.  Although I would love a fridge that's off the floor, there have been numerous issues with today's 3-ways so I think since the size difference is minimal that I'd go with the 12v.  I have a 2007 and love my 12v fridge, although tiny and on the floor. lol
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    TABaker said:
    I saw one of these yesterday.  The fridge is labelled as a 3.7 cf 3-way. It is taller, but the freezer doesn't look any bigger.  And it doesn't look as deep as the 2.7 cf 2-way.  
    When this first hit the news, that was an observation of another.  Although I would love a fridge that's off the floor, there have been numerous issues with today's 3-ways so I think since the size difference is minimal that I'd go with the 12v.  I have a 2007 and love my 12v fridge, although tiny and on the floor. lol
    I have heard that NuCamp went with the 2-way because of propane issues and because the 2-way was much more efficient running on 12v.  A sale rep at a dealer told me that the TV cannot keep the battery charged when running on battery under tow.  OTOH, that same rep insisted that certain things were true when I know for a fact that they were not!  I wish the 3.7 cf was as efficient as I have heard the 2.7 cf is.  Does anyone here actually have the 3.7 installed in a T@B 400? 
  • Options
    TABaker said:
    I have heard that NuCamp went with the 2-way because of propane issues and because the 2-way was much more efficient running on 12v.  A sale rep at a dealer told me that the TV cannot keep the battery charged when running on battery under tow.  OTOH, that same rep insisted that certain things were true when I know for a fact that they were not!  I wish the 3.7 cf was as efficient as I have heard the 2.7 cf is.  Does anyone here actually have the 3.7 installed in a T@B 400? 
    Some owners are actually having issues with the 320 fridge due to the charge line in their tow.  At least that's my understanding.  From what I've learned some newer models have a smaller gauge wire, esp. those without a factory tow package.  I know towing with the headlights on supposedly delivers more power.  However, I think the issue has more to do with the tow and wiring than it does the refrigerator installed.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    @TABaker--
    I agree that charging the battery from the TV's alternator is probably more a function of the alternator than the refrigerator.  A smaller TV has a smaller alternator.  And, as I said, that sales rep did not seem to be as well versed in NuCamp products as I would have liked.  Still, I wonder how efficient the 3.7 fridge is compare to the 2.7.  But I haven't had any experience yet with either refrigerator running on battery power.  Maybe someone with a T@B 400 and the 2-way fridge will chime in here?
  • Options
     Maybe someone with a T@B 400 and the 2-way fridge will chime in here?
    I don't know if you're in the Facebook group, but 400 owners with the 2-way have claimed it's very efficient.

• Options
    TABaker said:
     Maybe someone with a T@B 400 and the 2-way fridge will chime in here?
    I don't know if you're in the Facebook group, but 400 owners with the 2-way have claimed it's very efficient.
    I'm an old geezer.  Despite my daughter's best efforts I haven't figured Facebook out.  She has just recently taught me how to send messages on my iPhone.
  • Options
    BradGBradG Member Posts: 2
    Good to know it is optional @BradG.  So large frig, solar, microwave and inverter - anything else for the 400?
    The boondocker package was an option, and of course the different color schemes inside and outside.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2018
    I have a 2019 400 T@B with the 2-way frig and we like it.  The larger upright frig unit was in one of the 400's staged inside the factory at the uCamp rally tour and looked interesting but wasn't something we wanted.  We do like the added closet space and are still exploring the different storage options we have inside the trailer.  Originally we'd planned to order the microwave oven but changed our minds as the cupboard space was something we felt was more valuable and desirable. 

As for the larger frig, this is a tradeoff for usable space vs convenience or more food storage inside, and for us and our needs (we travel further distances and tend to be out on the road longer) not getting the larger frig was an easy decision and added/available storage space is always a plus.  If you are a weekend or casual camper the larger frig might be worthy of consideration?  Not to mention I have a 50 quart ARB in the bed of the pickup so we don't worry about that end as it's energy efficient.  We absolutely love the 400 and look forward to our next trip out!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    cycleblokecyclebloke Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2019 400 T@B with the 2-way frig and we like it.  The larger upright frig unit was in one of the 400's staged inside the factory at the uCamp rally tour and looked interesting but wasn't something we wanted.  We do like the added closet space and are still exploring the different storage options we have inside the trailer.  Originally we'd planned to order the microwave oven but changed our minds as the cupboard space was something we felt was more valuable and desirable. 

As for the larger frig, this is a tradeoff for usable space vs convenience or more food storage inside, and for us and our needs (we travel further distances and tend to be out on the road longer) not getting the larger frig was an easy decision and added/available storage space is always a plus.  If you are a weekend or casual camper the larger frig might be worthy of consideration?  Not to mention I have a 50 quart ARB in the bed of the pickup so we don't worry about that end as it's energy efficient.  We absolutely love the 400 and look forward to our next trip out!  
    Mike, I'm new to the forum and considering the purchase of a T@B 400 Boondock Lite just like yours.  There has been some discussion about keeping power to the 2 way refer.  If I recall correctly the photo you posted showed you towing with a Silverado 1500.  DO you find it's charge wire does an adequate job charging the batteries while traveling and using the refer?  Also, do you have the factory solar and do you feel it charges the batteries adequately while using the refer and the Alde? There are a number of threads addressing solar etc., but since you have the unit I'm also looking to purchase I would appreciate your insight.  Thx. (BTW. I'm also from Michigan, though spend much of my RVing time in the southwest)
    TJ
    Traverse City/San Diego 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Travels with Delaney did a test on the two way (video on their you tube channel), I believe they got four full days with essentially only the fridge running off the stock 400 battery. Seems very efficient. For the efficiencies on 12v over the three way and only gaining ONE CF, I think I would rather keep the two way and the closet storage.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    We have a 400 with factory solar and find the 12 v refrigerator very efficient. Our TV is a 2013 Tundra with towing package and has no issues with the refrigerator.  The combination of the large battery, solar and low draw of the refrigerator is very satisfactory.  Our previous camper had a 3-way refrigerator and was a real power hog and would draw down the battery while being towed with the same TV.
    IMHO, I would not go back to the 3-way refrigerator.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    My local dealer finally had a 400 in stock so I paid them a visit. I was pleased to see it was a Boondock Lite. They ordered it with the 2 way frig and microwave. The countertop space was nice and so many storage nooks and crannies. The button to the closet was already not working. The bathroom was "huge"! I also really liked the door handle mechanism as it shut so easily. (My trailer requires a good shove to latch). The list price? A whopping $39k including $2000 in freight charges.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Eastern Oregon?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Central Oregon, Bend.
    Debbie in Oregon

• Options
    @dsfdogs you must of looked at the same 400 I did in Bend, been waiting for them to get me a price, but I guess I need not hold my breath any longer!
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham did you see it on their website or are you local? At least now you know list price. I don't think they've had it long as I kept checking. If it's still around in a couple months, maybe they'll deal. 
    Debbie in Oregon

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2018

Mike, I'm new to the forum and considering the purchase of a T@B 400 Boondock Lite just like yours.  There has been some discussion about keeping power to the 2 way refer.  If I recall correctly the photo you posted showed you towing with a Silverado 1500.  DO you find it's charge wire does an adequate job charging the batteries while traveling and using the refer?  Also, do you have the factory solar and do you feel it charges the batteries adequately while using the refer and the Alde? There are a number of threads addressing solar etc., but since you have the unit I'm also looking to purchase I would appreciate your insight.  Thx. (BTW. I'm also from Michigan, though spend much of my RVing time in the southwest)
    I don’t have the Boondock lite, but rather the standard T@B 400 so my axle assembly is different. 

I don’t think there’s an issue with the Silverado trailering package or charge wire I have.  I do have the newer, single panel (190W flat panel) solar set-up on my trailer and couldn’t be happier at the moment.  This thing is the cat’s pajamas!  Very happy with the charge rate and the trailer has been sitting out in the driveway and the batteries are well above 13V.  I had the factory install a VictronConnect battery monitor too and this setup also has the VictronConnect app that monitors your solar output and batteries.  It’s pretty cool!  

I don’t see any problems with either the Alde system or frig running on 12 volts while traveling and we will be putting both systems to the test soon as we have reservations in a remote national forest area in Michigan’s upper peninsula a week from today.  No shore power at the campground and will run everything from solar and propane.  

The frig is efficient and our trailer has 2 6-volt batteries but there are trees around the perimeter of our site so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that when the sun is overhead (hopefully it shows up!) we are able to harvest enough energy to keep things powered up efficiently.  I also use a CPAP unit so this will be interesting,  I do have a portable 200W Zamp solar suitcase and might bring it to supplement things and snag some additional daylight.  We will be there 3 nights so I will watch the weather forecast and make decisions based on the weather.  

What part of Michigan are you from?  I live between Howell and the Fenton area.  We spend the winter months down in SW Arizona and use Why as our basecamp and travel from there.  I think you will enjoy the 400 as there is plenty of room for two people and they are comfortable.  We’re very pleased so far.  I also keep an ARB 50 quart frig in the bed of my pickup.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I don’t think there’s an issue with the Silverado trailering package or charge wire I have.  I do have the newer, single panel (190W flat panel) solar set-up on my trailer and couldn’t be happier at the moment.  This thing is the cat’s pajamas!  Very happy with the charge rate and the trailer has been sitting out in the driveway and the batteries are well above 13V.  I had the factory install a VictronConnect battery monitor too and this setup also has the VictronConnect app that monitors your solar output and batteries.  It’s pretty cool!  

I don’t see any problems with either the Alde system or frig running on 12 volts while traveling and we will be putting both systems to the test soon as we have reservations in a remote national forest area in Michigan’s upper peninsula a week from today.  No shore power at the campground and will run everything from solar and propane.  

The frig is efficient and our trailer has 2 6-volt batteries but there are trees around the perimeter of our site so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that when the sun is overhead (hopefully it shows up!) we are able to harvest enough energy to keep things powered up efficiently.  I also use a CPAP unit so this will be interesting,  I do have a portable 200W Zamp solar suitcase and might bring it to supplement things and snag some additional daylight.  We will be there 3 nights so I will watch the weather forecast and make decisions based on the weather.  

What part of Michigan are you from?  I live between Howell and the Fenton area.  We spend the winter months down in SW Arizona and use Why as our basecamp and travel from there.  I think you will enjoy the 400 as there is plenty of room for two people and they are comfortable.  We’re very pleased so far.  I also keep an ARB 50 quart frig in the bed of my pickup.  
    N7SHG_Ham and @DenisP for chiming in with some great information.  I'm up in Traverse City and spend winters out in San Diego and usually the month of May traveling AZ, UT and CO.  

The T@B 400 would replace the trailer I currently use to travel back and forth.  It seems really well thought out with a lot of usable storage for it's size.

I currently have a two way gas/120v refer and not always happy with its performance when the temps get into the high 80s.  I'm hoping the Norcold two way electric solves that issue and I plan to have the Nucamp provided solar panels (2-100 watt) which are now made by Sunflare with a with a Victron controller.  If necessary I'll add an additional portable unit if I need it.  I'll have to check on the VictronConnet you mentioned, that looks like really useful set-up.  

Perhaps when you come back from the UP you can share your experiences with the solar.  I'm always interested in learning the range of operation of the solar/electric use before I get some place really remote and realize I might have some additional modifications to do.  I'm trying very hard not to carry a generator.

Have a fun trip!
    TJ
    Traverse City/San Diego 
  • Options
    That should say thanks Mike and to :)
    TJ
    Traverse City/San Diego 
  • Options
    @dsfdogs I did see it in person two weekends ago, PDI wasn't done or NOT done in my opinion, tub wasn't bolted down for one thing. That was 1st 400 I had been in and it was nice, wife and I spent about a 1/2 hour in it and decided it would work for us. The 320 definitely was too small for us.
  • Options
    A couple of pix showing the installation of the optional ($472) 3-way refrigerator in the 2019 TAB 400.  You can see the two extra drawers next to the sink and the additional drawer below the refrigerator.  The radio controls are moved to a position above the refrigerator.  I think the little dot to the left of the radio is the light switch for the "bedroom."  Just below the refrigerator is a thin blank panel where the WFCO electrical panel was located.  With this configuration that panel was moved to a panel under the passenger side dinette seat.  No idea why that was moved.  I would think there would still be the same space as before.