Help with removing AGM Batteries from the TAB400

PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
I am about to remove the AGM batteries prior to putting my T@B400 into cold storage for the winter. Does anyone have any tips or tricks regarding the process of removing the vented cover and removing the batteries themselves? Any lessons learned from my fellow 400 owners would be  greatly appreciated!
Pam and John
Champlin, Minnesota
2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

Comments

• TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    I wood charge it up and turn the disconnect off. Agm batteries keep their charge. There not like a wet battery that looses it's charge. 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I am about to remove the AGM batteries prior to putting my T@B400 into cold storage for the winter. Does anyone have any tips or tricks regarding the process of removing the vented cover and removing the batteries themselves? Any lessons learned from my fellow 400 owners would be  greatly appreciated!
    If the trailer's in close proximity to a power source I'd consider installing a smart charger to float the charge and eliminate the need to remove the batteries.  I've left my batteries hooked up in Michigan winters (which do get plenty cold for long stretches) without any issues and would invest in a good smart charger and eliminate the manual work required IF power is close to the trailer.  The quick disconnect cords available today make this task easier than in days gone by.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Thanks @Tabfortwo and @Michigan_Mike. The trailer will be in a lean-to at a storage facility without access to electrical.  We are in frigid North Dakota and am concerned that even if I disconnect the batteries negative terminal to minimize discharge that 7 months of cold may too much for them. This is a bit new to me and I did search the "internet-at-large" but found conflicting information which left me even more confused. I trust the folks on this forum more than the "internet-at-large" so I appreciate the help.  :) I am wondering if anyone would comment if they have stored their AGM's in frigid cold without a maintenance charger for 6 months or more without doing harm to the batteries ?
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

Worste case scenario you connect to your TV to the trailer and let it charge it while you hang out for awhile.
  • @Tabfortwo For sure we could do that periodically. Not much else to do in North Dakota in January =)
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

We sometimes dip below 50 in January
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    This is a great question as I was wondering how to do that when I saw the floor model. Will be picking our new one up in November so I have the same question.  
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I don't have a 400 so I can't advise you on the specifics of removing the batteries. However, FWIW, I would make the effort to bring them in for the winter where you can monitor their condition and charge them as needed.
    Perhaps this is not strictly necessary with good AGM batteries, but it is certainly best practice and there is no disadvantage other than the labor in removing and relocating the batteries themselves.
    They got 'em in there somehow, so they gotta' come out the same way!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • unclemikebobunclemikebob Member Posts: 10
    I had to use a two wheel cart to move mine to the house last winter. It was a good trick getting it out of the camper.... heavy.
  • @unclemikebob Well, if I take mine out it may be "easier" . I am guessing you have a single 12 volt! I have two 6v.(65 pounds each) I am leaning towards taking mine out for the winter and am just a little hesitant because I am concerned about getting the vent unhooked, removing the battery cover and what wires are under there, getting it all put back together properly in the spring. I took another look at it yesterday and am feeling a little less hesitant about doing this in the next week or two. ( I'll take and share step pictures if I do).
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

• BlindDogDaddyBlindDogDaddy Member Posts: 1
    You might consider a small solar charger to maintain the battery.
    BMW supplied it's dealers with a panel equipped with suction cups and connector for the new car sales inventory.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @PamandJohnUpNorth2, take pictures of the battery wiring and print them off so you have them in the spring!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    As Sharon suggested -take a few photos of how they are hooked up - will make it much easier when you hook them up again in the spring. I do this with lots of 'stuff' and has saved me many times.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • JonNLeslieJonNLeslie Member Posts: 20
    We have a sailboat up on Lake Superior. We have 4 AGM batteries and just use the battery disconnect and we have never have had a problem storing the batteries over winter.

Jon and Leslie Richey
    2018 T@B 400. TV 2016 4 Runner
    Minneapolis,MN

• @JonNLeslie Thank you. That is valuable information for me as the climate is so similar!  @Sharon_is_SAM and @SueBC for sure I will take pictures if I dive in and pull the batteries as @ScottG suggested. I am still thinking about which to do - yesterday I found a storage garage with tall doors and electric so i could hook up a maintainer but the rent is rather pricey. Three options. Decisions, decisions.....
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota

• crampshawcrampshaw Member Posts: 16
    John, here’s another vote for solar. I have a 10w on my dual 6v batteries and turn off the main switch. I paid $15 for a 10w panel. 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We have a sailboat up on Lake Superior. We have 4 AGM batteries and just use the battery disconnect and we have never have had a problem storing the batteries over winter.
    I agree, what I do here in Michigan prior to storing my equipment/trailer batteries for the winter is to charge them up overnight to attain a full charge disconnect the charger and store them with my lawn tractors, pontoon boat and trailer, which like you I flip the battery disconnect switch to the off position on the trailer due to the parasitic drain encountered.  I've never had any issues as a full charge eliminates the battery freeze up that people fear and we get sub-zero temperatures for long stretches at times here as well.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @BlindDogDaddy @crampshaw I love solar and appreciate the ideas. I do have solar on the roof of the 400 but it will be in a three sided shed that shades the solar completely in a large storage facility with a lot of in-out traffic and i am afraid an outward facing auxiliary unit is too exposed to theft. I am going to do as @Michigan_Mike does. I also spoke with Austin at NuCamp yesterday and he also indicated that leaving the batteries in place, charging up the batteries fully, turn the battery disconnect to off, and optionally pulling the fuse on the solar charge controller(if the solar is not going to produce more power than the controller will use) should be no problem for the AGM batteries. I like this path-less work to do!
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota