Emergency release brake

AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
we would like to replace the “quick link” connector on the emergency brake cable with a “spring link” (carabiner). What “load limit”is required for this job?

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    I had been just connecting the ERB cable to one of my chain hooks (as the dealer showed me) but after reading this forum and some of the reference materials others have listed I've changed to a carabiner for the ERB cable.

Since I don't believe it requires much effort/force to "pull the pin" on the ERB box I just reviewed the available stock at a local hardware store and picked one of the right size for easy handling and positive connection to the receiver chain hook slot.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    I’m using a 1500# carabiner. Figured if the chains are rated for 3000# then 1500# capacity should suffice. As MuttonChops mentioned, it doesn’t take that much force to activate the switch. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    This is still a bit of mistery to me, but I would think thet you want that thing to be engaging even if the chains are still attache to the TV.

in a way that if tongue unitch, the trailer would be pulled behind by the brakes, not hitting the  tv and possibly not dragging on the ground, bringning you to a safe complete stop in a comtrole fashion.  So adjusting the lenght of the cable to the chain lenght become fairly critical.  And it would also work if total ruptue of the hicht ball and chains happen.

but, like I have said, I have no real knowlegde of how it should work and my dealer only told me to hook it there, w/o much real info.

i will follow this.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    There is no consensus regarding if the Breakaway brakes should engage before the chains engage or only after the chains fail.  The idea of having the chains crossed to cradle the hitch with a disconnect is to allow the driver to slow down and control the trailer.  Seems like the Breakaway brakes is for a complete disconnect from the TV and chains.  Purdue University has a nice towing manual and they discuss this topic.  Pgs. 58-65.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ppp/ppp-92.pdf
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Luckyj said:
    This is still a bit of mystery to me, but I would think that you want that thing to be engaging even if the chains are still attached to the TV.

Many of us rely on the Purdue University publication Keep The Trailer Connected To The Truck [Purdue Extension PPP-92] part of what they say follows.

. . . opinions diverge on how long the [brake] cable must be.
    Should the cable be just a few inches shorter or longer than the safety chain?
    Those who say that the brake cable needs to be longer than the safety chains point out that, when engaged, the brake system is a panic emergency stop, not a controlled application of the brakes. If the trailer is lost at the hitch and the brake safety system engages before the chains come off, (which would happen if the cable is shorter than the safety chains) the trailer’s brakes will lock. When that happens, the driver will no longer have control of the trailer’s brakes, and the sudden stopping of the trailer may cause the driver to loose control of the truck — the sudden jerk may even pull the trailer loose from the truck.
    If the brake cable is longer than the safety chains, then the chains may hold the trailer in the event of a breakaway. When that happens, the driver is still in control of the trailer’s brake system. Although the trailer may be slamming back and forth, the driver has a chance to bring the truck and trailer to a controlled stop.

Well, I jnow that my brake on the trailer will not lock up, no matter how I adjust the brakes and the brake controler.  and that was even when brand new and again later with new magnet.

so I guess, I can make it brake with the chains still on.  Thanks!

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I am of the school that the brake should only set if the trailer totally leaves the TV. Assuming your electric cable remains connected you will still have trailer braking if the trailer becomes uncoupled BUT still chained and you could even apply the trailer brakes manually. If the emergency brakes set then it is going to put the trailer in full brake lock up which may not be good if the chains are still attached. I call this a breakaway brake system rather than emergency brakes and more aptly describes what I want to happen, your opinion and comfort level may differ :)
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    I have to say that I kind of did forgot that the electrical connection should indeed still be hook up with chains olding.  But wil antone be calm enough to simply apply manual braking?  i know I probably would, but how about anyone esle?

and I would like for all of you guys reading this post to test if the safety chains are short enought that the trailer hitch would not drag down in case of accidental hitch disconection.

please come back here for the info.  

Thing is sure, if saftety brake is adjusted to work with safety chains holding, the safety brake will work with and w/o chains holding.

And in order for the safety to work only when chains also give up, that means that the cable need to be attached directly to the hitch.  I remember my dealer tech being so vague about how it worked, that he simply hooked it up to the safety chains hooks.  Humm!

edited October 2018

Many of us rely on the Purdue University publication Keep The Trailer Connected To The Truck [Purdue Extension PPP-92] part of what they say follows.

This is the first time I ever read or hear about this.

can this be found on the web. Did thay make vids or theire test runs, or is it only a reflexion on the subject?

would be interesting to see videos of this.  

Thanks!  :)

Luckyj said:

can this be found on the web.
    Link to PDF in another post of this thread.

. . . . Purdue University has a nice towing manual and they discuss this topic.  Pgs. 58-65.

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @Luckyj
    This is the Purdue University article referenced:PPP-92.pdf.
    I have always believed that the safety chains should be short enough so that the crossed chains will catch the hitch if it should jump off the ball and not let it dig into the ground.  Some years ago I saw a video (which I cannot now find) of a disconnect in which the tongue dug into the pavement causing the trailer to turn a complete cartwheel.  The driver did not realize that his trailer had separated and kept his pickup moving at speed.  Evidently his safety chains (he may not have had any--I don't remember) separated as well.  That was fortunate because the trailer just barely missed the bed of the pickup as it turned turtle.  It was also fortunate that the trailer turned turtle because it slid to a stop on the roof--straight ahead--rather quickly thereafter.  The breakaway cable should be long enough so that the brakes will still be controlled by the TV if the trailer comes off the ball and is resting on the chains but will apply full brakes if the chains let go as well--ie. the trailer is completely disconnected from the TV.  Wouldn't have done any good in the above accident since the wheels of the trailer were well off the ground throughout most of the event.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    FYI, the Purdue document has been added to the "Users Manuals..." category under "Hitching and Towing Help."
    2015 T@B S
    Luckyj said:

can this be found on the web.
    Link to PDF in another post of this thread.

. . . . Purdue University has a nice towing manual and they discuss this topic.  Pgs. 58-65.

Thanks, I did not see it before.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Scary thought for sure and a reminder.

https://youtu.be/-RvzVCU1wIo?t=103
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Let's see...speeding...speeding..questionable tow vehicle....speeding.....something really stupid...speeding.....
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Wind, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio