Options

For a 200W solar setup, is the Zamp plug any use?

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
I've been digging around a little bit researching solar installation. From my little bit of understanding, the wires coming from the Zamp connector to the battery are too small a gauge to handle a 200W setup. 

Is that correct? Or am I missing something? Wouldn't it be better to have #10 'entry cables' there?

Does anyone with a 200W setup use the Zamp connector?

TIA for any insight!
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @ChanW, we reused the tub mounted solar port wires when we rigged our set up to have the controller close to the battery.  We use them with 200 watts (two 100 watt suitcases).  No problems, but you make a good point.  The wires leading from the solar outlet is a short run, so maybe it does not have a negative effect.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Are you positive about the negative effect? ;)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Well, when in sun, we recharge quickly.  I don’t have numeric documentation, but, those who have used the tub solar plug as provided in pre-2018 models have not complained.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Ok, thanks @Sharon_is_SAM. I wondered if the fact it's a short run might negate it. I guess you'd know if the wires got warm. I wonder if there's another gauge available for that same port. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited November 2018
    A 200W panel will generate no more than about 12 amps at 18 volts (typical max output for our panels). Even 14g wire will handle that easily, and I think the Zamp wiring is heavier than that.
    I understand the bigger issue driving the use of larger wires with solar is the voltage drop over long distances. Since, as you noted, the distance in this case is quite short, I'd go on the idea it's not enough to be a problem.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited November 2018
    This is interesting stuff (I'm beginning to grasp)! I'd forgotten that the panels will output as high as 18V, when I was calculating for the wire gauge.

And when I look, it's amazing how much discussion there's already been on these concepts, just here on the Tab group! 

I'll have to do more reading...

This group is great. What an amazing resource.

Thanks for your patience folks.

Time for a beer.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW, I have used my 200 watt Zamp suitcase for 3 years using the Zamp plug supplied by the nüCamp factory. This includes 3+ months every winter using the Zamp plug and panels daily. I have never run out of battery stored power, so I think that should assure you that the short length of wiring on the Zamp plug has no effect on the solar power supplied to the batteries. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”