Switch above 400 3 way frig (only required to operate frig when on battery as confirmed by nuCamp)

grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
(Title edited for search purposes.)

I just bought a new Boondock 400 and can't figure out what this toggle switch goes to.  I have the 3 way refrigerator and it is above it next to the stereo.  Anyone know?
2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
2019 T@B 400 Boondock

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Is there an auxiliary exhaust fan for the fridge? I don't have that model but just a guess since I don't think the models without that fridge have the switch.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    Not sure.  I'll have to wait till it stops raining to open the side vents to check. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    If this is the refrigerator that mounts in what was otherwise the wardrobe, I believe it is the light switch for the "bedroom."  That switch , in a different shape, was mounted to the left of the closet door.  With this refrigerator there is no room for the switch to the left of the refrigerator.
    If this is the refrigerator that mounts in what was otherwise the wardrobe, I believe it is the light switch for the "bedroom."  That switch , in a different shape, was mounted to the left of the closet door.  With this refrigerator there is no room for the switch to the left of the refrigerator.
    Thanks for the input falcon, but it is not the light switch.  That is located by the outlets beside the bed.  This switch does not turn on any lights.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
    @grubbster Hmmm, well in that case I would be interested to hear what it turns out to be.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited December 2018
    I just sent the picture to nuCamp tech to identify the pictured switch.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    I just sent the picture to nuCamp tech to identify the pictured switch.
    Thank you very much.  Not had any luck figuring it out yet.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
    Maybe it is the "Initiate Self Destruct" switch in case you are boarded by hostile aliens.
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Guessing a power/kill switch for the Jensen.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    BrianZ said:
    Guessing a power/kill switch for the Jensen.
    Definitely not a kill switch.  No matter if the switch is off or on the Jensen still has power.

@falcon1970, now you got me worried.  There must not be any around right now because I turned it on and the camper and I am still here.  Probably shouldn't push my luck though. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
    @grubbster Well, that has always been my brother's go-to solution when confronted with unfamiliar technology--"push the button and see what happens."  Of course he has a lot of burned out junk around and he still doesn't know what it was supposed to do.
    I sure hope we get an answer from nuCamp soon.
  • tabblisstabbliss Member Posts: 7
    it is a batterey cut off so your fride does not run on batt. you have a 3 way fridge, i also have this model. firdge is effecient on batt
    @tabbliss Did you mean to say that this fridge is NOT very efficient on battery?  Gas absorption units are not very efficient running on battery.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @grubbster, I  think there was another thread about this with a similar pic several months ago. I think it was determined to be an auxiliary cooling fan for the fridge, like in the 320's, to prevent  heat build up around the fridge. In the meantime, keep an open line to Interspecies Galactic Locators, so that a ready condition can be maintained, in the event the "Initiate Self Destruct" option becomes necessary. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @grubbster, please look up "button switch on 2019 400". I think @treefrog got the answer.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    What treefrog said on Oct. 7th:

“I am pretty sure it's for the fridge.  I called the dealer, and the guy who they transferred me to did not know.  He put me hold then said it was for running propane on the fridge (I think not).  We used the trailer this weekend and I could not get the the fridge to work on battery without the switch being on.  I'll call nuCamp tomorrow.”
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and link to the other thread.  Guess my searching skills need some work.  I did not see a definitive answer in that thread.  Still looks like it could be a vent fan for the fridge or a battery cutoff switch.  I might try calling Nucamp.  Treefrog mentioned calling but didn't follow up with the response.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock

Email from nuCamp Tech:

"That is the refrigerator fan switch to help circulate hot air made by the refrigerator.  I would recommend running it at all times😊"

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Sounds like the same set-up that was incorporated into the 320s. It's certainly the same switch, though that doesn't prove anything.
    The Norcold 3-ways in the 320s also have a thermostatically controlled fan to help circulate air over the fridge fins. (At least that is true for the older Norcold models.) I wonder if the 400 fridges have an automatic fan as well.
    It seems odd that something that should run at all times would be switched...
    2015 T@B S

Email from nuCamp Tech:

"That is the refrigerator fan switch to help circulate hot air made by the refrigerator.  I would recommend running it at all times😊"

Thanks for following up Sharon.  That answers that!  I will have to find a way to dim the LED in the switch because it is very bright.

2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • tabblisstabbliss Member Posts: 7
    This is a battery cut off switch to keep your 3 way fridge from draining your battery
    tabbliss said:
    This is a battery cut off switch to keep your 3 way fridge from draining your battery
    This is incorrect.  As Sharon mentioned it is a fan switch behind the refrigerator that aids ventilation.  I also confirmed this through a call to Nucamp.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    I found that fridge won't run on 12v without switch on.
    It will run on 110 and propane with switch off.
    I did call nuCamp also and found it is for cooling.  I have tried to hear the fan to make sure its working. It makes no noise.
  • In my 2019 Tab 400 this switch is the battery cut off switch so you don't accidentally drain your battery if you lose ac power and have the fridge set to "auto".  On my 2015 320 this same button was for an auxiliary fan, but it is a battery kill switch on my 400. 
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    I have a 2021 400 and that should be the same switch in your 2019.  It is the switch for the auxiliary fan for the three way fridge. It helps with coolong. Turn it on when you run the fridge.  The fan will kick on when the temp hits a certain point the It will turn off when the temp drops.  Mine appears to be thermostatically controlled.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    In 2020 T@B 400 with Norcold 3-way, this switch is between the converter and 12V connection to the fridge. If switching from 120V to 12V or from propane to 12V, you get an error icon until you flip that switch on.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
    In my 2019 Tab 400 this switch is the battery cut off switch so you don't accidentally drain your battery if you lose ac power and have the fridge set to "auto".  On my 2015 320 this same button was for an auxiliary fan, but it is a battery kill switch on my 400. 
    The switch does not turn off the TaB battery.  It controls a fan that helps remove heat generated by the frig.  
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    edited June 2021
    @Sharon_is_SAM and @bergger, no - these are myths..  I actually emailed nuCamp about this and received the following reply (I have the 3 way fridge on a 2021 Tab 400):

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question, sorry for the confusion on this button. The button above the fridge is for the refrigerator to run off of 12v battery. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please reach out.

I also sent them a followup:

Thanks Michael!  So the fan will operate just fine without this switch turned on if I'm on AC or Propane?

And the answer received:

Absolutely, you are welcome! Yes, there is no 12V fan on this particular fridge but it does exhaust when on propane.
    @TomCanada - that makes more sense, but a nuCamp tech previously identified it’s purpose was to run a fan.  Oh well.  Maybe someone can experiment and get back to us.  Is anyone really running the 400 3 way frig on battery?
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    Most of our camping is less than 4 hours on the road so I don't bother running the fridge even on the drive - it just eats way too much battery!. The one time I ran the fridge on battery was when I needed to discharge the battery quickly for a battery monitor experiment :)  Its pretty well insulated so a few hours without power won't spoil any food or allow anything in the freezer to thaw unless we were taking a very extended trip.

Perhaps the button used to be for a fan and they changed it?  All I can say is that the fridge pops up with an error if I try to run on battery without that switch turned on, and I've never heard a fan running on this fridge so for now at least I'm inclined to believe nucamp's answer :)