Worried about theft

Planning life as a solo traveler. One of my big worries is having someone walk off with my batteries, propane or even the trailer itself!

What are the security steps you take on the road (like, when you go into a rest stop or restaurant,) and then once you get to your camping spot?

And do you change/modify the door lock on your Tab?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited January 2019
    At the beginning of the season, we place a receiver lock that secures the drawbar to the hitch and a ball lock (RJ lock available on Amazon) that prevents someone from unscrewing the nut that holds the ball. When we tow and when we camp, we use a keyed coupler lock and then the Brahma wheel lock at camp (or in the driveway). With these items, we feel secure when we stop at a rest stop, restaurant, camp, boondock site or hotel. We also try to park within view if we are in a sketchy area. I believe it is not legal to tow with the LPG under lock, so we do not have a lock on the tub and we think the 100 pound battery may be difficult for a casual thief. An additional item easy to add is to put your stabilizers down - it would make it difficult to tow away.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited January 2019
    @CheriZee603 , I have the T@B 320 S Boondock Lite with the aluminum tub.  In the next week or two, I plan to add a lock to the tub.  I saw the idea on YouTube in one of Mandy Lea's videos on modifications people have made to their campers.  I am going to use a locking hasp that I purchased at Home Depot:

( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-1-2-in-Black-Key-Locking-Hasp-20404/203340006 ).

I purchased a black hasp primarily because it complements the two rubber hold-downs on the tub.  However, you may prefer to use a stainless steel/chrome hasp.  If it works out, I may post some photos of this modification, but others may have already done that (I haven't checked yet).  Since this particular hasp includes a lock, it will be important that the hasp lines up with the lock.  Therefore, I have already made a 1/2" spacer that will be located under the base of the lock portion of the hasp.  The spacer will allow the lock to be raised far enough out from the tub so that it lines up with the hasp (which will be mounted on the edge of the overhanging tub lid).  You can accomplish the same thing with a regular hasp and padlock if you prefer.  (Greg)  [EDIT:  @Sharon_is_SAM may very well be correct regarding locking the tub while towing the camper.  The LPG doors on my previous trailers all were non-locking.  However, I do not tow with the propane on, plus I can always leave the tub unlocked while towing, if necessary.  Also, I am primarily concerned with securing the tub while my camper is in storage away from my home, so leaving it unlocked while towing will not be an issue.]
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• CheriZee603CheriZee603 Member Posts: 3
  • GumboAndBoo2GumboAndBoo2 Member Posts: 17
    More so than the battery or propane tank, I feel twitchy about somebody punching out the door or window screen and stealing my camera, laptop, etc.  So we try to leave valuables out of sight in the TV, which at least is harder to break into....
    Jack + Grace + Gumbo (the dog) + Bubo (the other dog) + Alice the T@binator (2018 320 S)
  • ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    As far as it not legal to lock the lid of the tub while towing, is it legal to use a cable lock to lock the propane tank to the propane tank holder or the bottom support bar under the tub while towing?
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    That should not be a problem.  The point of not locking the tub is to allow first responders the opportunity to access/turn off the gas supply.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have never heard of anyone stealing a propane tank although I am sure it probably has happened, for me not too worried about that, fairly inexpensive and available everywhere if it were to happen.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I looped a steel cable through my propane tank and around the trailer frame and padlocked the ends together It's inexpensive and I don't worry about losing my propane tank to someone just poking around.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Through the years, I have read multiple posts on multiple forums that indicate if your trailer is damaged because a first responder could not access the propane tank in an emergency, your insurance company will not cover the loss.  You are not supposed to lock any enclosure that contains a propane tank. That’s why ALL trailers leave the manufacturer with non-locking enclosures.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited January 2019
    I've also searched endlessly for any "laws" on locked propane tanks, and there isn't any info at all.  Mostly, the info is hearsay or guesswork.  I have a locking hasp on mine, and I use it. Probably two beefy people can rip the whole tub right off!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    When my 400 is parked I use a Brahma wheel lock, and a proven industries coupler lock. When towing I have a locking hitch pin, and I also have my hitch locked to my receiver. I am thinking of modifying my tub and adding a lock as I live in a crime ridden metropolitan area. I keep the propane off when I am not using it, and I would like to lock the tub when the propane is off and I am away from my trailer as I also keep a bucket with my water hose, etc in there. 
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited January 2019
    @pthomas745, there is a link on here someplace to the actual federal law governing the no lock law on propane compartments. If you look at a Class A or Class C, their propane tank compartments are fitted with latches that don’t have locks on them, 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Verna let's hope there are no matches around the propane tank :)
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    There is no "law", but there are vague "recommendations" from the RVIA.  It was this thread from last year where I found it.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi