Prospective T@B owner

Hi all! My wife and I have been considering a T@B 320 or 400. We have been searching high and low on the Internet and have learned quite a bit. Two questions I have not seen answered anywhere:
  1. For the T@B 400, is it possible to sleep 4 if two of them are pre-teens? Like, mom and dad in the queen bed, and daughter and her friend in the dinette bed? The dinette looks pretty small, but it's not easy to tell from the videos and pictures online. Or mom, dad and daughter in the queen and friend on the dinette?
  2. How easy is it to maneuver the 400 or 320 using the grab handles and muscle power? We plan to store it in our side yard, which would involve pushing it about 30 feet. Up a curb with ramps, over grass. I could probably back it in by vehicle with practice but it would be tight.
Thanks in advance for answering my naive questions.

Eric

Comments

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited January 2019
    I have a 400 and can give my experience with question #1.  We camped this summer for a few days with my DW and my two grandsons (ages 6+7).  The boys slept on the dinette.  I made a small spacer (10x23x4”) to extend the middle dinette cushion to the end of the table's edge.  The sleeping arrangement worked well for the boys. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • mcdan333mcdan333 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Denis! I was wondering about extending the middle cushion. Seems like it could easily create another foot of sleeping width.
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    You will not move the 400 up a ramp and curb unless there are few linebackers or hockey players in the family.  While you might get it part way, imagine what will happen when you are out of energy and gravity decides to claim back it's equilibrium.  The wheel and handles are great for adjusting it for hitching and minor moves but nothing more.  That said, your ability to back it up will surprise you after 10 or 15 evolution's.  The trailer is a breeze to manage.  As to the pre-teens, bring along a 4-person tent and let them have their own space.  It's a small trailer after a while.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    My wife and I own a 400. My answers to your questions:

1. It's going to be hard to sleep two in the dinette area unless you can extend the middle cushion a little further out. You may want to investigate the tent room that attaches to the 400 to provide a place where the girls can chat and sleep on their own. Everyone will be happier for it :-)

2. Our dealer told us on the 400 that the handles are basically decorative and after some experience with the trailer this summer, I completely agree. You're more likely to break the handles off the 400 than to be able to push it any real distance. Just practice using your tow vehicle to maneuver the trailer -- it's easier than you think even if you haven't done it before.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I use a portable winch with remote to occasionally move the T@B.  If you mounted one to a ground anchor near where you park it, that might be another way to get the T@B in place... if your tow vehicle isn't the easiest way to fit it in a really tight spot.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @mcdan333, I can only speak for the 320. While the handles can be used for jockeying the trailer about on a relatively flat and hard surface, I'm getting tired just thinking about what you describe.  :-P
    Even if you are feeling muscular, before attempting such a thing you might want to replace the front jockey wheel with a pneumatic tire. The OEM wheel is pretty useless over bumps or soft ground.
    2015 T@B S
  • GumboAndBoo2GumboAndBoo2 Member Posts: 17
    Even if you are feeling muscular, before attempting such a thing you might want to replace the front jockey wheel with a pneumatic tire. The OEM wheel is pretty useless over bumps or soft ground.

Yep!  It's the jockey wheel that I find is the biggest bugaboo with hand-maneuvering of the T@b on non-paved surfaces.
    Jack + Grace + Gumbo (the dog) + Bubo (the other dog) + Alice the T@binator (2018 320 S)
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We replaced our single jack post wheel with a dual solid, rubber wheel.  It makes it easier to move on a smooth, hard surface.  We carry small pieces of plywood to help us maneuver on soft ground.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    edited January 2019
    @mcdan333 When we were at uCamp last year I saw some folks from Wisconsin drive up near their spot next to us, unhitch their trailer from the vehicle, and then using a handheld remote they backed their trailer into their spot exactly where they wanted it. I could not believe my eyes! I had never seen such a thing. They explained that they store their trailer in a skinny spot next to their garage and there was no way they could back it into the spot using their vehicle and then they found this solution where remote controlled electric motors drive the wheels small using a  remote control. I believe they purchased from  from
    and installed it themselves.
    Hope this info is helpful.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    @mcdan333 When we were at NuCamp last year I saw some folks from Wisconsin drive up near their spot next to us, unhitch their trailer from the vehicle, and then using a handheld remote they backed their trailer into their spot exactly where they wanted it. I could not believe my eyes! I had never seen such a thing. They explained that they store their trailer in a skinny spot next to their garage and there was no way they could back it into the spot using their vehicle and then they found this solution where remote controlled electric motors drive the wheels via remote control. I believe they purchased from  from
    and installed it themselves.
    Hope this info is helpful.

I 2nd the Purpleline mover. I've had mine for 4 years + on my T@B and it's the best investment I've ever made.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    @Mouseketab since you installed the purpleline yourself, is there anything you can tell me that I can tell my installers to help them install mine. They tried to install according to the directions on my 2018 320 CS-S and said they couldn't do it because there was only 2- 2 1/2" clearance left afterwards. I'm wondering if there's something creative they need to do or if that clearance is okay.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @mcdan333 welcome to the Tab Forum! I can't help with the first question as I have a 2017 320 S that I love! After sitting in both at an RV show I realized that my 320S is exactly what I love, and while the 400 has an amazing bathroom, I prefer my 320S! For the cost difference between the two, you could buy a 320S and a Pahaque side tent which would hold granddaughter and friend just fine. Then if it's just the two of you can put on the tent, or not. I like options, which is why I seem to have acquired a few items for outside my Tab... :rofl:
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    I second the motion for a 320 with tents and options.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Forum members: @mcdan333, joined the forum last January 17th, and made the final post on January 18th. There has been no activity by this member since. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Front bed in 400 is definitely a single bed.  Also, you’ll only be moving the tongue around on a 400 while on flat smooth ground.  You might be able to get it rolling, only on the flattest smoothest surface, and the larger question is stopping it once it is moving!